New Malahini Build "Finally"

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gdcarpenter

Re: New Malahini Build "Finally"

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 am

For what it's worth here's a few shots of my scarf clamping jig/set up. What I learned, and found worked, was that the bottom of top piece of the clamping set ip has a convex/curved shape, thicker in the middle and thinner at the ends. This seemed to really help even out the clamping pressure across the joint.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Time for an update. I have been busy with work, life, and a little bit of a new project. I will so several short post to update my status.
First this is the current status on the wood portion of the project:

status.jpg

tryout panels.jpg

Coming together nicely. I still have to pic up a board or two to cut the battens and I hope to get that done prior to my surgery.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:27 pm

As for me personally, I have been nursing a shoulder injury for some time. I am now scheduled for shoulder surgery on April 28th. This is going to set me back for a while due to the required down time and therapy. It' all good, I am going to plan my personalized interior and paint scheme during this time.

In the meantime this was my engine plan. It is an evinrude 85 HP electric shift with pretty low hours apparently. It appears to be in great shape; however, I have done nothing to date on this engine. I also have steering controls, throttle controls, and the electric shift panel for this set up. I also have a pretty cool steering wheel. Here is the engine.

electric shift.jpg

evinrude.jpg

This is still a viable engine option and I think it weighs about 260 lbs.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Last week however; I picked up a great deal. I have been in search of an older trailer for my boat. I wanted galvanized and the appropriate length. I wasn't being to picky. I picked up a galvanized EZ loader trailer in great condition. It has rollers which I will change out for runners but other than that it is in good shape. However, it had an old boat sitting on it as well.

new trailer.jpg

new project.jpg

The boat is a 1968 and it is in pretty good shape except for the internal rotten wood floor. My wife actually loves the old boat and wanted to know if I could just refinish this one. I turned her down since I want to stay focused on my wooden boat project. I am scavenging some parts though. The windshield is in excellent shape except for one small crack. I think it might actually look decent so I will hang onto it for a test fit later.
Attachments
windshield.jpg

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:37 pm

This is the small crack in the windshield

one crack.jpg

In addition, the boat had a CMC power trim and lift with all the wiring which was added at the beginning of last summer. I am planning on using this as well. I do wonder a bit about shifting the weight of the motor aft that 2 or 3 inches. Time will tell.

tilt and trim.jpg

However, the big bonus was when it said he had the engine which he took off at the end of two summers ago. He was going to fix up the boat, hence him adding the trim system. The deal in included the engine. A Merc 850 thunderbolt.
thunderbolt.jpg

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Here is the shot of the engine laying on my trailer. I will have to get another engine stand (or build one) and do a compression check on both engines to see how they compare. The feedback I have received so far seems to say focus on the Merc. Curious what you all think.

The best part of this is I got it all for $500. The Lord is good. Now I am going to go stir crazy waiting to heal so I can play with all my new pieces:) I figure I still have a month to do what I can with on good arm:)

good shape.jpg

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Ugh... shoulder injuries. I had surgery at the beginning of December for a torn rotator cuff and Labrum... Still dealing with therapy, hence haven't really started my Tahoe yet, just reading and tool shopping! All your new candy looks nice! Good luck with surgery and heal up quick!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:48 am

This is what I get for not keeping up with the forum. Another nice build and I haven't been keeping up. I've had thoughts about doing a fiberglass restoration in a few years. I was intrigued by Neel's current project and it might be fun. We'll see. Any way, you Malahini is looking good.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

zip001

Postby zip001 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I got my surgery moved up to the 18th so I can start my recovery sooner. Can't wait to get back on the boat project. Will get my son to help me strip parts off of the old fiberglass boat. If I had a place I would hang onto the old fiberglass boat for a future project, just don't have that kind of room. Now I have to figure our how to get rid of the fiberglass boat hull so I can go to work on the trailer.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Cut it up into little pieces with a sawzall, then stick one piece in the trash every week until its gone. lol

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:41 pm

How to get rid of fiberglass boat.

Have fiberglass boat on trailer in your yard. Have dumpster backed down into yard. Roll boat off trailer into dumpster! Load another ton of trash you have been meaning to get rid of for years on top of boat.

DONE
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

zip001

Postby zip001 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks for the ideas on getting rid of the old boat. I had considered cutting it up into pieces and I still may do that. I still have to research my local landfill, I am hopeful they will accept it and pull it off the trailer for me.

I will let you guys know how I finally get rid of it and which motor option I go with. It may of course, be a while.

Thanks

ryanp

Postby ryanp » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Cool score on the merc.. I wish I had the 850 just for the size but my mark 58 Thunderbolt will have to do for now. Maybe in the future I'll be able to look at an upgrade but we will have to see. Can't wait to see more pictures and keep up the good work.
Happy boat building Ryan. P.
It has been proven that beer can make you younger or at least feel that way!

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:53 am

Hey G... Given a choice between the Merc or the OMC outboard, choose the Merc for better performance. But then I am partial to Mercs. Get a good shop manual from Mercury (Seloc 1965-1989 Merc works well too). It will be easy to score parts for either on Marineengine.com or ebay, but the Merc will perform better and I think be more reliable. Pending good compression readings, watch out for a corroded drive shaft inside the water pump housing. The long drive shafts are hard to find and expensive when you do finally find one. Otherwise everything is fairly inexpensive and easy to fix. I am finishing up a 1965 Merc 650 4 cylinder outboard that I will be installing on the Malahini I will be starting to build. I had to replace the drive shaft, reseal the lower unit, replace the water pump impeller, replace the fuel system, repair the engine wiring harness, and tune up the magneto ignition. (Yours has electronic ignition). I'll have it running in a couple weeks. I will likely post this project for others to see... enjoy your project!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Peter, Thanks for the information and the encouragement. I like learning new stuff so I am all about doing the engine work myself. I think the Merc will be my first priority. My shoulder surgery is next monday. It has been a few slow weeks but I have accomplished a few thing. None are photo worthy. I will be spending the next few weeks in a sling planning my interior (as much as I can) and working or a wiring and electrical plan. Otherwise, I will be at a stand still for a bit.

I will be looking for that manual also.

Return to “Power Boats”