New Malahini Build "Finally"

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gdcarpenter

Re: New Malahini Build "Finally"

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi and good luck with the surgery.

Can't tell for sure from the photo of the Merc but the older Mercs had a smaller diameter tilt tube that will NOT accept a standard Teleflex steering cable.
On the two mercs I restored I purchased an SS tilt tube the correct diameter and bored out the parts on the engine to accept the larger tilt tube.

Another consideration, engine wise, is weight. I would guesstimate that the Evinrude is close to twice the weight of the Merc, that's a lot of weight!

During your recovery you could do well to map out your wiring. I have attached a scribbly scrawly image of my wiring diagram.

I have my battery forward so ran 6awg from the battery to a 90 amp breaker and from there aft to isolated terminals for my engine connection.
I also have a 25 amp breaker between the 90 amp breaker and my main fuse panel, as well as individual fuses for each circuit'

I would highly recommend paying extra for 'tinned' marine wire, much less risk of corrosion issues down the road, or lake as the case may bee
Attachments
Schematic.png
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Mercury tilt tube diameters did change but when I don't remember... I think pre-1964 they were smaller and are very difficult to find a Teleflex-type cable that fits. The later (my 1965 Merc 650 for example) tilt tubes are bigger and as far as I can tell will accept a modern Teleflex cable. I got a Quicksilver/mercury Ride Guide steering system along with the rest of the motor and controls, already set up for a 16' boat which should I hope fit the Malahini.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:35 am

Zip001- Some more info you might find helpful, there is a website http://www.maxrules.com/index.html which has info for your motor (as well as many others) such as wiring diagrams, etc. for the Mercury. Also, www.oldmercs.com is a great resource for parts, especially harder ones like fuel lines. Just remember that parts lookups for Mercury outboards is based on the serial number, which is located on the plate between the transom clamps and stamped on the engine crankcase. There are many other resources such as www.fiberglassics.com that have a mercury outboard forum page. Good luck!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Awesome, thanks so much for the extra information. The old donor boat that came with the motor had the control levers and the steering cable both of which were functional. I should be ok on the steering cable (tilt connection) unless I am missing something. I took a quick glance at those websites and they are perfect for what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks so much.

The wiring diagram while help so thanks. I am also considering a forward tray just in front of frame 4 for the battery. Will get a little weight up forward and if I build it right it shouldn't put too much extras stress at that location even with a little pounding from time to time. I have already decided to go with the Marine wire. I want to do it right so that I don't have to redo it constantly.

I appreciate the comments.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Sorry, had a misfire there.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:36 pm

When I planned a battery forward there were concerns expressed about it's location and the greater 'pounding' the front of the boat takes. So far so good, these modern batteries are pretty sturdy. Hopefully you can see the red and white battery box in the photo.

I did run leads to a plug in connector at the right end of the dash for convenient attachment of a battery charger during the off season. My 6 awg feed from the battery, via 80 amp breaker, to isolated connecors below the splash well for the engine mains has been plenty. If the starter draws 35 amps I would be surprised.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

zip001

Postby zip001 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:58 am

OK, the verdict is in: shoulder surgery sucks!!

I had a complete tear and two partial tears in my rotator cuff and they had to do a bicep tendonesis. bone pain really smarts. i occasionally go to my basement and stare at my beautiful project but can't do a think. week six now so it looks like it will be early august before I can really get going again. good news is I put in for vacation time in Sep and am planning on coming to the gathering. i will need some motivation. My wife and I will be hitchhikers since we will still be boatels but hopefully we can bargain for an open seat and a ride or two. can't wait to meet some of you guys.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Zip
I did my shoulder a few years ago. Therapist went nuts when I unloaded and stacked 34 sheets of ply one handed. She said a few things I can't repeat. I will say that it is a milestone in life when you're right handed and can tilt to the left in the bathroom!

See you in September!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Been there! Right shoulder sewn back up in July 2008 and left shoulder in December 2015... Nearly identical injuries in both. Just returned to work a couple weeks ago and still don't have much strength back. Surgeon said 8-12 months for full recovery! So, hang in there, stick to the physical therapy plan and don't do anything that may re-tear your anchors!!!! (If you think its bad now, imagine a re-tear!) Happy ice therapy, Shane!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri May 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Surgeon Said! DON"T MESS UP MY WORK :!: YOU WILL REALLY REGRET IT :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun May 29, 2016 6:57 am

We will have two boats this year so plenty of room.
See you in Sept
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

zip001

Postby zip001 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Appreciate the encouragement. See you guys in Sep

zip001

Virginia Malahini

Postby zip001 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:26 pm

All, it's been a long time since I did an update. I was out with shoulder surgery so I lost about 5 months. When I got back to work I ended up traveling quite a bit so work and updates have been sporadic. I do feel that I have made some significant progress within the last four weeks.
battens.jpg

clampitis.jpg

Battens have all been added, notched, trimed, faired, etc..

zip001

Postby zip001 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:30 pm

In addition, I got going on the planking. But first, after reading a few of the post and knowing that I am putting an 85 HP motor on this boat, I added a few supports at the transom. I put extra material under each batten where the limbers were cut near the transom. I also added an additional knee to the middle batten on each side where they connect to the transom. Probably overkill, but it was easy to do while I was working in the area.
extra knees.jpg

I also did the side planking which I think went very well.

extra knees.jpg
Attachments
first side.jpg

zip001

Virginia Mahalini

Postby zip001 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:34 pm

I had to take an opportunity and for the first time, I was getting an assessment of the size of this boat. If you are wondering, yes, I was making motor boat sounds:)
boat sounds.jpg

Last but not least. I have the first two bottom panels cut and one is glued in place. I plan on doing the other side in the morning. I have also already cut the plywood backing for the but joints which I will also do in the morning.
first bottom panel.jpg

Unfortunately, I will be traveling again for about two weeks so my work will slow down once more.

Return to “Power Boats”