New Malahini Build "Finally"

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Dave Grason

Re: New Malahini Build "Finally"

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:48 pm

jamundsen wrote:We will have two boats this year so plenty of room.
See you in Sept

I do believe truly that this is the year my Zip will finally be there as well.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 am

Finally an update but still no completed boat.

I am at about 16 or 17 months and not quite where I thought I would be but I am still making incredibly slow progress. Life has been fun this last year, more travel, injuries, weddings, etc.. some good and some bad but we all experience these things.

I finally go 4 coats of epoxy on and sanded until I wanted to puke:) Looking pretty good actually. I have ordered the WR-LPU primer and paint and have a goal of the 3rd weekend in May for the flipping/birthday party. I was about to start with the painting and was looking thru more threads on this forum and had somehow completely forgotten about the spray rails. I knew I wanted them just got sidetracked and excited about the paint phase. Today I cut some Sapelle and glued the ends to make my 16 ft rails. I hope to install the first ones tomorrow evening. It was a real joy to be cutting wood and watching things come together again. I can't wait for the flip because if I never build another boat, as much as I have loved this whole process, it will be because of all the sanding. I need to rent a couple of teenagers for the sanding.

I will post pictures in the next day or two. I can't thank folks enough when I have asked a question or sent a PM for the immediate responses and the encouragement.

I still have not decided for sure on the mere or the evinrude. My biggest decision I will making soon will be when the flip happens. I will have to stand the boat on it's side to get it out of the basement, yes I measured and it will fit. I would really like to leave it in the basement for more work, maybe not completion, but a lot more finish work before taking it out. I guess it all depends on how hard it is to handle during the flip and how much more weight I will be adding. It will be tough to give up and environmentally controlled and somewhat dust free work space. Time will tell.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:04 pm

A few quick photos of the fully sanded boat. My spray rails being glued to full length and my installed skeg. You can see at the rear of the boat I had a low spot on each side just forward of the transom by about 6 inches. It really wasn't bad and probably would have been fine but I mixed some epoxy and silica and used it as filler with a level board to make sure it was as level as possible in this area. Good thing I planned on painting !!
Attachments
IMG_4885.jpg
IMG_4886.jpg
IMG_4887.jpg
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 am

I finally got one coat of primer on last night. Seams like a huge milestone. I will do another coat later this morning then let those two coats set for three days and do a light sanding before the final coat. I went with the WR-LPU paint and Yatch Primer. I did not thin the primer at roll and I put it on with a fine synthetic brush and tip with another brush. It does dry fast so I am trying to learn as many lessons as I can while applying the primer so I will be somewhat (laughing) skilled by the time I get to the paint.

I did use the advice offered by several. I used a very wet mop and mopped the concrete floor all around and slightly under the boat about four time before I started to prime. I used a humidity gauge and got the humidity up to about 60%. I had plenty of time to tip before what I had applied dried and was always able to keep a good wet edge.

So far I like this product. No smell, easy to mix, very easy clean up. It even passed the wife approved test:)

I will post pics after the final coat. Thanks for all the advice regarding paints and application techniques.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Zip,
Looking really nice.

As far as moving it out of the basement, have you ever seen moving men use straps to lift a large heave object? I think if you got 6 to 8 guys paired up on a straps running under the side you could move it out when finished like pall bearers. Maybe another couple of people to stabilize it on it's side. Building inside eliminates all the issues with weather.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks Jimm

I think doing the flip and seeing how hard or easy is to handle will go a long way in helping me make that decision. I like your idea.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 pm

FLIP, FLIP, FLIP

What a great day. I go all my bottom painting done in accordance with my plan. I really like the WR-LPU but there is a learning curve.

I had my family here and a couple of friends stop by last Sat. I had 8 men in all with my wife snapping pictures. It only took about 25 minutes to lift and move the boat, dismantle the building form, lay the new platform down, flip and place the boat.

I have to finish the bottom paint up my planned white stripe. Then after all that sanding I feel like I get to be creative again with all the interior work. I know first I have to clean it up and seal the inside but hopefully that will go quick. I attached a few photos.

Those crooked boards are temporary braces thrown on for the flip.
Attachments
IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Congratulations on the flip! What a great day.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed May 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Congratulations. It sure is a great feeling to get to this stage of the build. You're right, the creative stuff is coming. But you're also right in that you have to clean and seal first. Nonetheless, nothing can stop you now. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Huge milestone, well done, congratulations ! Just when you were getting good at the upside down part, now time to stand and ponder the right side up 1/2 of the build. Looking forward to seeing how you finish her out.

Fellow Malahini builder,
Matt B

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am

Congratulations! Now the fun begins.. seating, decking, instruments, upholstery, cup holders!

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Ok the never ending stream of questions continues.

I am contemplating the 1/4 inch sub deck installation. My question pertains the the shape of the boat at the transom and the angle of the sheer. I know I can obviously fair the fit but I just don't remember seeing this on others blog sites. It may be due to my initial fairing job or maybe the twist in my sheer is off.

Anyway, based on the angle of the sheer, turned inward, do I fair the sheer and the plywood panel to an angle that fits the sundeck as I install it. Or do I just install, epoxy to the motor well frames etc.. and then fill any gap that might exist from underneath. Or the third option is that I am entirely misreading this situation and one of you fine boat builders will point me in the right direction. I appreciate the assistance.

I added a photo of a 1/4 inch piece of plywood laying on the sheer and transom (Photos 1 and 2) and then a photo (the first one) as I slid the plywood up to frame 1.

Also not sure why these photos posted sideways but when you open each one they are positioned correctly.
Attachments
fairing 3.JPG
fairing 2.JPG
fairing 1.JPG

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Since I haven't flipped my malahini yet, I don't know for sure, but I believe you fair the top of the sheer with the top of the frames and transom to make a smooth curve. I'm sure someone who has done this already will chime in.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun May 28, 2017 4:13 pm

I know I can obviously fair the fit but I just don't remember seeing this on others blog sites.

Fairing can be a tedious task. It's difficult to take pictures of and difficult to discuss. You can spend quite a while getting it right, yet, to the casual observer, no progress is being made. So, that's probably why you don't see it discussed in the blog sites you're looking at.

Yes, fair the sheer and plywood planking. Use a file or rasp to set the sheer and planking curvature as a continuation of the transom curve, then plane or sand the sheer forward so that it flows to seamlessly to the notch that you set at the transom.

Congrats on the flip and your' build is looking great!

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Thats what I thought. Thank you so much. Kind of nice getting a little confirmation before I start removing wood. It's a little harder to put it back that it is to remove it! Ha HA

Thanks guys

Return to “Power Boats”