New Malahini Build "Finally"

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: New Malahini Build "Finally"

Postby PeterG » Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 am

I'm a little late to this but that's some great looking work! So many find fairing the deck to be tedious and kinda gloss over it, I and others would really like to see how you go about it, and see more of your craftsmanship :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:52 am

Update:

Got the inside all coated with two coats of epoxy, so far I am satisfied.
sealed.JPG
sealed 2.JPG
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 am

made progress on the motor well also. I did use non-marine plywood for the motor well sides and deck however, I plan to coat with one coat of epoxy and then epoxy 1/4 marine plywood on top of that to make it look better.
motorwell.JPG
progress.JPG
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:58 am

I am now trying to figure out the dash placement. I puzzled over this once before and never really reached a resolution so I laid it aside. Can someone who is ahead of me tell me if my seat placement sounds about right and then my dash is based off of that.

I have been sitting in the boat (and daydreaming) and I think the center of my front seats will be directly above frame 3. This would comfortably place my dash about 7-9 inches behind frame three. As I picture this it seems like the topside from bow to dash might look a little smaller than I anticipated. Of course, I am basing this on the looks of some you the boats on this forum which are all fantastic. I know a lot of this is personal preference, but committing is the first big step. I laid this aside before and an now trying to get the topside framing in place so I have to make a call in the next day or two.

dash1.JPG
dash2.JPG

zip001

Postby zip001 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am

To set the record straight, the chair in the photo was for a picture only. I did sit on a block of wood about 7 inches above frame three when planning the seat placement. I realize sitting as high as the chair would be a little breezy:) I should have waited to judge the funny comments:)

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Zip,

Nice looking build so far.

While I can't tell you where to sit, I can tell you that the steering wheel will be 4" to 5" from the dash with a teleflex system. Also, I would recommend mocking up a seat back and cushions. This made a big difference when laying out my seating. I settled on 105 degrees from the seat bottom to the back, and set the dash so my arms were slightly bent like when I'm driving my car. The dash on my Squirt is set at 15 degrees from vertical and I wedged the wheel another 5 degrees to help clear my knees. This should give you a starting point.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Check sheet 2 of your plans, the profile (side elevation) has the dash set 8 inches forward of frame 3. That of course can be varied from by the builder's preference but a thought to consider: if you move much forward of the plan seat position, you risk changing the boat's balance and ride while you're in it. I will be setting my dash on my Malahini per the plan and setting the seat position by what feels right for me. I have a Mercury Ride Guide steering setup with a built in 20 deg angle, so my dash will be set vertical, no angle.
Your boat is coming along great, keep up the good work!

zip001

Postby zip001 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks Jimmy and Peter. I had not noticed the dash position on the drawings so I will take another look. I am working on a mock up of the seat now and I have read your previous post about the seat angle. I have several saved notes for this. Not sure on the steering system yet so I am so glad you guys mentioned this before I set the dash at an angle that could cause further problems. Thank you both. I will keep you posted.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 pm

You can make your mock up seat and slide it forward or back on the floor to find your favorite position in relation to your dash/steering. Don't forget to include your engine controls when figuring this all out :-)
My plan for my front seat is to build it bench-style with a walk-through cutout in the seat back. It will have a portable seat back piece that can be placed in the cutout for a third person or a more cozy ride for two. That piece will store in the bottom of the bench seat. The rear bench will be a close copy of the forward bench except no cutout and the entire back will be removable for access under the rear deck.
Have fun!

zip001

Postby zip001 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:50 pm

I am actually playing with the idea (early stages) of a flat bench front seat that will be upholstered. I am looking at fabricating a set of the old bindec double reversible hinges. I can't find these anywhere but I think I can make a couple. The front seat backs (individually) would then be hinged so that you can sit facing the front, the seats can fold flat to sit on, or the seat back folds up again on the dash side of the seat so that the co-pilot could then be facing backwards to watch the future grandkids ski or tube. I have only found about four pics of these old hinges and have searched high and low to locate. No success, but I think I can make them. Just playing with this idea.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 am

Made a little progress today. Got some ash on friday afternoon so I begin to work on the floor. Just laid in place but I was anxious to see what it might look like:)
IMG_5008.JPG
Attachments
IMG_5007.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”