Which boat?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hobbit

Which boat?

Postby hobbit » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi.
I'm looking to building one of the classic timber launch type boats and was wondering what the differences were between the
Tahoe
Riviera
Monaco

Thanks.
Peter

sscobra

Re: Which boat?

Postby sscobra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Peter, those three boats are very similar. You can find all the specifications on the Glen-L website, but I can give you a quick comparison here. They are all built the same way using the cold molded technique (strips of ply over hardwood frame, topped with Mahogany). The Tahoe has two versions, a 19' and a 23'. The 19' version is very similar to the Monaco (which I am building). The Tahoe is slightly smaller than the Monaco and it has a forward tilt to the transom. They both can carry 5 passengers in two cockpits with the inboard engine in between. The beam of the Monaco is about 7" wider than the Tahoe, but the dimensions of the cockpits are very similar to the Tahoe. The Riviera is almost identical to the Monaco except that it is a foot longer and the fore deck is shorter which makes the front cockpit large enough for 5 passengers. The rear cockpit of the Monaco and the Riviera are identical and have room for 2 passengers. The 23' foot Tahoe has room for 8 passengers, 6 in the front and 2 in the rear cockpits. The recommended engines for all three boats are 260 - 360 cubic inches with the 19' Tahoe engine recommended to be 260 - 330 cubic inches. All three boats are beautiful! Go to the Glen-L website and check out the Customer Photo section for each boat. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:09 am

welcome Peter ,
what Skip said.
Although you can stretch the riviera 10% , and the Monaco, not sure on the Tahoe , a stretched Monaco is a Riviera,.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:23 am

The Tahoe will stretch 10% also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks all.
I'm most likely going to be looking at a riviera.

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Change of plans.
I saw Edgars Tahoe 24 and fell in love with it.
http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/tahoe-de ... in-holland

So I'm going to order the tahoe plans on monday and try to recreate it, although with a more conventional cockpit layout

Return to “Power Boats”