Overniter in SC: Flipped 5-27-17

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Adrock1

Re: Overniter in SC

Postby Adrock1 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 am

Lol. Thanks Dave. Yes a gathering is definitely in this boats future.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 am

Well happy new year guys. Figured I make an update on the progress (or lack there of as you will see) on the Overniter. As you'll remember, I was working on priming the hull at the last update. It seemed everything was going well until I tried to sand it.

I noticed something was wrong when my sandpaper kept loading up. I didn't get far with the sanding before I realized the primer was still soft. This was after several days of drying in a heated garage in dry conditions. It was becoming apparent I had done something very wrong in the application of the primer and it simply wasn't fully curing.

Long story short, too much thinner, to heavily applying the primer, premature application of the second coat or a combination of all of the above resulted in primer that just would not dry and harden even after weeks of cure time. :x

Needless to say this ended up being a major setback. The primer had to come off. And let me tell you, it was a chore. Sanding simply did not work. The paper just gummed up almost instantly. I did not want to use a chemical stripper as I felt it risked damage to the underlying epoxy and fiberglass. So I ended up using a combination of scrapers and razor sharp chisels to scrape or shave the coating of primer off. This got me back to a relatively clean epoxy surface that could be sanded. I ended up with several little scratches and chips that needed to be filled and patched but overall got the hull back to the point it's ready to prime again. Thankfully the nightmare is over and I can move forward again.

Throughout the duration of that saga I interupted the frustration of stripping primer with working on some other elements of the project. In particular some of the hull penetrations. The Overniter will have no hull penetrations below the water line. I do not I tend to install drain plugs. It will have a number of hull penetrations above the waterline though.

So far I've got the hole bored and sealed for the bow eye. I also installed backing blocks on the inside of the transom to reinforce it for the transom eyes ( u bolts) which I will drill/fill/drill this weekend. I also installed the transom drains for the splash well using the drill/fill/drill technique. The last hull penetrations will be for a pair of bilge pumps which I also hope to complete this weekend.

One slight benefit of the primer debacle is that it prompted me to start on these hull penetrations now. I had originally planned to do them after the hull was painted and I'm glad I didn't wait. I'm realizing now that it is much easier and cleaner to do it now.

So all that said I'm hoping to have hull penetrations done and primer re-done by early February. I've been experimenting with some test panels and it appears the primer works quite well if I don't thin it, roll it on very thin, and allow it to cure and be sanded before recoat. So wish me luck.

Wow that was a long post!!

BrianO'C

Postby BrianO'C » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:44 am

I like Adrock1 am surprised at the few Overniters in build. I too think it is a great all round boat for its size and I too was really impressed with Ove Pedersons boat. Sadly I will have to shorten the hull down to 15ft just so that it fits in the garage for building with enough room to squeeze around it. I will be using the boat coastwise on the open sea, (the English Channel) as well as the more sheltered inlets estuaries and rivers on the south and south west coasts of UK. Because of this I like the extra strength that the design has above a Cruisette or Nimrod as well as the extra freeboard and protection that the raised foredeck should give in open water situations. The good beam should give great form stability and volume for sociable picnics and gatherings. Like many, I do not expect that I will spend too many nights under the foredeck but the space looks great for storage and sitting in for the smaller folk as well as a site for a porta potty. Also I just love the style of it!
Dear Adrock1 can you give me any update on the use of the Overniter as I guess and hope that you have actually completed the build! BrianO'C.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 am

Brian,

My overniter is still a long way from launch. In fact I completed final preparation for primer last night and intend to head home from the office this afternoon and apply the first coat. Overall I'm shooting to flip it by spring and progress towards a launch date late this year or early next. We'll see.

I was attracted to the design for the same reason as you. It's about as large as I can squeeze in my garage. But beyond that the boats design offers some things I liked. It's a deeper vee than some of the more classic looking runabouts which should provide a softer ride. The higher free board also appeals to me. Makes for a more secure boat with better capacity. The raised foredeck was very appealing visually. Like you I have no intention of camping out under there but I will certainly make use of the storage space. The though of a porta potty for the girls made a lot of sense to me as well. I anticipate a lot of day trips on the water with up to four adults and the Overniter can take plenty of power so it should be great for hauling such a load or towing a tube/skier.

Now that I have the hull built it's apparent that it's a substantial boat despite its modest length and it's a handsome shape. Owe's boat is certainly inspiration. I'm hoping to has as impressive a result as he did.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:19 am

Well the paint job is finally done. Turned into quite a project but the results are satisfactory. I chose supermarine paints for this boat and while the end result turned okay I don't see myself ever using them again. As you'll recall I had major problems getting the primer to cure and had strip it off and redo the primer job. The paint was very slow to cure as well. It literally took a couple weeks. And that's in a dry heated garage.

The other problem is that the paint does not level well. I attempted rolling and tipping and even thinned at the max rate and using very expensive high quality brushes the brush strokes would not level out. Ultimately it worked best when you used the foam rollers only and messed with it as little as possible. Still it didn't lay down well enough to leave it alone. So I had to cut and buff.

I used 3000 grit 3M trizact on a da sander to cut down the paint and then buffed it with a rubbing compound. Last step was a coat of wax. The results are from perfect. I won't be winning any shows. A close inspection will reveal more than a few little defects. But overall it shined up nicely.

I've found a good price on a aluminum trailer and should have the funds to pick it up by the beginning of May. That will give plenty of time to ensure the paint is fully cured and hardened up and then it will be time for a flipping party.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:59 am

Which supermarine paint did you use? I was planning on using ironside, but could change my mind. Just looked, and can't find it online any more.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm

DrBryanJ wrote:Which supermarine paint did you use? I was planning on using ironside, but could change my mind. Just looked, and can't find it online any more.

Bryan

I used the Ironsides. My whole experience with supermarine was very frustrating. The whole primer issue in particular. The Ironsides was no treat either though. I received my shipment of paint and it was in a can with instructions and information that seemed incorrect for Ironsides. It even had a different product number. I called supermarine and they confirmed it was in fact a freshly.mixed batch of sm-266 Ironsides they just still put the old product label on it.

As a result of the confusion I asked for explicit application instructions and reviewed the tech sheet for the product online. I followed the directions to the letter. I went to great pains to mix the two components with as much precision as possible, measuring batches down to the milliliter. I respect proper induction times, thinned no more than the maximum rate. I respected application and recoat windows and applied everything in dry weather inside a climate controlled shop.

After five days in a heated garage the finish seemed dry and hard but could easily be marked with a fingernail. Even after two weeks I could mark the finish just gently dragging my nails accross the surface. Despite that it seemed to sand well so I cut, buffed, and waxed it. The end result looks pretty good and seems to have hardened off now since it doesn't mark easily so I'm feeling more confident that it's all okay. And it won't flip for several more weeks so it will have plenty of time to cure more if it wants too. I'll just have to wait and see how it holds up.

Overall it wasn't very confidence inspiring. Combined with the fact that it didn't roll and tip very well and I just can't see myself recommending it. If I had it to do over I would use interlux VC epoxy on the bottom and and interlux perfection on the topsides. I may use interlux for the deck finish. We'll see. Definetly won't be using any more supermarine products.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:14 am

Well, after the painting saga was finally completed I set about securing a trailer. Ultimately went with and aluminum I-beam trailer from Venture that I bought through a dealer in Columbia SC. I just couldn't find a used trailer I was satisfied with at a cost that made it worth going used. In the long run the few hundred more spent on a new trailer aught to be worth it.

With the trailer in hand it was time to flip. I hosted a memorial day BBQ and invited some buddies to help with the flip. I unbolted the build form from the garage floor and we dragged the whole thing out in the yard. I clamped some braces accross the frame members and then we pretty much just rolled it over in the grass. From there we got the trailer up under the bow and just winched her on the trailer. The whole think went surprisingly well. We made some adjustments to the trailer and everything fits great. Only modification I need to do is get a couple keel rollers to help keep her centered up as you winched her onto the trailer and it'll be good.

I'll upload some picture in just a minute.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:25 am

PICS:

BayouBengal

Re: Overniter in SC: Flipped 5-27-17

Postby BayouBengal » Mon May 29, 2017 5:19 am

Congrats on the flip. Great looking boat!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 29, 2017 7:21 am

Looks beautiful and congratulations on the flip. Always a satisfying moment in the build process. I like the lines of your hull. Is it going to be a Carolina style or is that just excess plywood giving the impression of a bow flare? Regardless, it's going to look beautiful on the water.

I was also reading back a bit and noticed you had trouble with Supermarine paint. I did as well and will probably not use it for the remainder of my painting. I originally went with them because they were the only place I could find that offered the blue color I wanted to use, however I have since found another source. Marshall Cove I believe is the name of the company, but can't remember for sure.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

specialk

Postby specialk » Mon May 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Congrats on the flip...she is beautiful. ..!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:17 am

mrintense wrote:Looks beautiful and congratulations on the flip. Always a satisfying moment in the build process. I like the lines of your hull. Is it going to be a Carolina style or is that just excess plywood giving the impression of a bow flare? Regardless, it's going to look beautiful on the water.

I was also reading back a bit and noticed you had trouble with Supermarine paint. I did as well and will probably not use it for the remainder of my painting. I originally went with them because they were the only place I could find that offered the blue color I wanted to use, however I have since found another source. Marshall Cove I believe is the name of the company, but can't remember for sure.

The Overniter has a raised sheer from frame 3 forward which gives it that somewhat unique profile but yes, I left the plywood hanging over and will have to fair it off when I fair the sheers.

And yeah, supermarine was a major dissapointment. It's seems very tough now that it's fully cured (which literally took several weeks). The stuff just doesn't apply well. I will probably use the last little bit I have left to paint the splash well and never look back.
Last edited by Adrock1 on Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am

Great looking boat. I really got into high gear after my flip since you can finally see it's potential and some light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to watch as you finish it. Speed Racer.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 am

Hey All,

Work continues after the flip. I've started framing the motor well, pouring flotation foam, fitting the sole, mocking up deck beams and a host of other nick knacks.

I'm at a point where I need to make some decisions that will influence weight distribution. In particular where will batteries and fuel tanks go. The way the motor well is constructed and sized it essentially takes all the space from the transom to frame one. There will be a storage space on both the port and starboard side of the motor well that could each house either a fuel tank, or battery, or be reserved for storage space.

I will have a bench seat between frames one and two. The space under that bench will be adequate for a substantial fuel tank and or batteries.

The space between frames two and three will be open cockpit space. Between frames three and four will be captain and passenger seats. I plan to make space under the front seats that would be adequate for battery storage.

Everything forward of frame four will be under the deck. I could of course fit batteries and or fuel tanks up there as well.

Out of all those options I'm not sure what the best co figuration would be. I plan on putting an older used two stroke around 90 hp on this boat. I also plan on two batteries.

My preference is to put a fuel tank of 20-30 gallons under the bench and put a battery under each of the from seats. What is everyone's opinion on that plan with respect to weight distribution? The plans call for fuel tank all the way aft at the transom and do not specify battery locations. The way I've laid out the boat so far the rear bench is one frame forward of the location specified on the plans and the front seats are slightly forward of where they are specified on the plans. I'm a little concerned that my weight overall is a bit far forward. If that's the case I could pretty easily relocate batteries to the aft compartments either side of the motor well.

Thoughts?

Return to “Power Boats”