Overniter in SC: Flipped 5-27-17

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Overniter in SC

Post by mrintense »

I went with pay as you go and buy as you need it. Too often in the past I went out and bought everything I needed for a particular project and then found I spent money on something I either didn't need or was the wrong item for the project. The only thing about buying as you go is that you need to keep thinking ahead as you near a particular task so that you can get the items in time to use them and avoid delays.Paying as you go for me is far more preferable as I can set a weekly budget and use that you pay for this boat. Three and a half years into the build and I owe nothing. For me, that is the ultimate victory and if I can keep this up, I will come out on the other end with a boat that I can enjoy without worrying about making the payments for it.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Carl, the pay as you go approach is definetly a benefit too. I'm the same way. I actually have my direct deposit setup to set aside my boat budget. Lol. It will be awesome to have a boat totally paid for in a couple years.

Cabron

Post by Cabron »

You might consider Plasti Paste as an alternative to Gel Magic.

I`m pretty sure it the same thing and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I recently discovered plasti paste while working on job.

Has anyone here used this for bonding ? What where your results?

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Cabron wrote:You might consider Plasti Paste as an alternative to Gel Magic.

I`m pretty sure it the same thing and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I recently discovered plasti paste while working on job.

Has anyone here used this for bonding ? What where your results?
Looks like the plastic paste is for making molds and castings. More for arts and crafts and not necessarily a structural adhesive. Not sure I would risk it just to save a few bucks.

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Alright guys. Spent a little more time on frames today. Most of the frame parts are all cut out. I'll order glue, some resin, and some screws tomorrow. in the mean time I worked on the dowel joints I described. I used a self centering doweling jig to bore holes where all the frame members meet. Some little 3/8" dowels will then align everything for glue up. I use this thing all the time in my woodworking projects and its a pretty handy little device. Here are the pics as promised:

The jig clamped on a frame member with the drill in place:

Here you can see the holes bored in the mating parts:

And finally here is the joint all closed up:

It really works pretty well and should keep things from shifting around during glue up.

Tomorrow I'll get a sheet of 1/4 marine ply for the gussets and hopefully get those cut out this week. With luck I'll have my epoxy by the weekend and I can start getting these frames together.

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Well my local supplier didn't have any 1/4" meranti ply. I ended up going with 3/8 aquatek for my gussets since that's all they had. Aquatek as I understand, is basically bs 6566 meranti. Im confident this will be fine for the gussets especially since I'm using material a little thicker than specified and it will keep me working for now. I'm not gonna use this stuff for hull panels, stem, breast hook though.

My local supplier can potentially get me some BS 1088 meranti or okume. Specifically they are a distributor for Hydrotek. Very small quantities may be a problem though.

So two questions: does anyone know of a distributor of good Marine ply within a few hours drive of Greenville SC?
If so I don't mind a little road trip to pick it up.

Second question: the transom, stem, and breasthook specify 3/4". I'm assuming I can laminate two layers of 3/8" plywood and substitute it for 3/4". Or in the case of the stem four layers of 3/8" instead of two layers of 3/4". If I do that I can order all 3/8" plywood, a total of about 12 sheets which should get me close enough to a minimum order size to be worth my distributors time.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Adrock1

3/8 Aquatek is certainly fine. And, laminating is fine. Your glue is probably better than theirs.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hooked

Post by Hooked »

Overniter in SC........I bought my ply from World Panel.com in Florida. Total price shipped to Lafayette, La. was less than two places in Houston wanted. They also have a place in NC:
North Carolina
146 County Farm Road
Windsor, NC 27983
252-794-9944

Their web site is extremely easy and service was superb! All sheets were perfect and well marked with the grading.
If this is close enough you could do well to check them out.
Thanks,
Kelvin
Building a modified Ski King

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Kelvin,

I am aware of world panel. If I cant find a local source that allows me to purchase a little at a time or it ends up being cheaper than a bulk purchase from the local guy then I'm definetly going with world panel. Their prices are good and shipping is reasonable.

gap998

Post by gap998 »

Love the doweling method - definitely gonna nick that idea! Really exited about this build.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I wish I had all these skills and tools. I'm sloppy and use lots of glue, sand paper, caulk, and paint!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

I got that doweling jig at woodcraft. Very handy and not expensive. I think it was like $40. It works perfectly in situations like this. Doweled joint like that aren't particularly strong but it does add SOME strength to the joint. The benefit is it will keep those butt joints from sliding around while I get the gussets screwed on. Everything should line up perfectly.

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

First frame glued up. Dowel construction worked great. I'm also really liking using the silvertip gel magic. Not having to clamp things up so tight like im used to with wood glue is nice too. Just a couple clamps on each joint to close the joint up and let it set.

I plan to get all the frames glued up like this then grind off the squeeze out and glue/screw the gussets on.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looks like we shop at the same place for clamps!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Harbor freight? Lol. Theyre cheap but they work. So cheap I'm better off even if I break one now and then. And I do.

Return to “Power Boats”