Overniter in SC: Flipped 5-27-17

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Overniter in SC

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:47 pm

Keep the transom & framing thickness as detailed in the plans and then add the motorboard plywood to the desired thickness. You'll need to notch the knee to accommodate for the thickness difference in the framing and motorboard. Or, you could add additional material to that area. There may be other folks that would do it different..

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:57 pm

Okay. Heck that's even easier. In that case I'll just double up some 3/4" ply for the clamping board then. That plus the 3/4" thick main transom panel will get me closer to the max.

Okay that makes sense. I can proceed with that. Again, thanks so much for the prompt feedback. Very helpful. Love this place. What a great resource.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:09 pm

You asked to see my transom. I rotated the image since it is upside down right now.
transom1.jpg
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:27 pm

hoodman wrote:You asked to see my transom. I rotated the image since it is upside down right now.
transom1.jpg

Cool. Looks essentially like the same thing I'll end up doing.

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:16 am

Well my local supplier (hood distribution/McEwen) tells me he can't get me any hydrotek plywood. All they have is a fairly limited selection of the aquatek (BS 6566, not BS1088). I know they're a distributor for the stuff but they are a wholesale operation and he says if they don't have it in stock the minimum qty is by the unit. Since I don't need hundreds of sheets I'm out of luck.

I really don't want to make my entire plywood purchase just yet or I would just place an order with World Panel. I just need one sheet of 3/4 so I can get the transom and stem made and start setting up.

So does anyone know of a retailer that will carry 3/4" bs1088 Marine ply that's within a couple hours of Greenville?

If not, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and make one big plywood order online which will pretty much wipe out my boat budget for a couple months. I would really love it if I could buy a little at a time as I go.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 am

I understand your pain. I struggled with this early on in my build as well. I had to drive nearly four hours to Houston to purchase a single sheet of 3/4" Okoume. For me, the inefficiency of these single item purchases is overridden by the advantage in purchasing within a limited budget. I can save and buy as I work through the project. So far I have 8K in my project including some rather expensive lumber and epoxy purchases. In every case, I was able to save the money needed while working on the project using materials from previous purchases and so far have not accumulated any debt. To me that is worth the extra effort and inconvenience.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:22 am

Adrock1

I got my ply from Homestead. http://www.marine-plywood.us/mahogany-m ... quatek.htm
I bought all in one order and got a 15% discount. I had it shipped to the terminal. That saved a delivery fee. There was no local tax. That saved some.

If you use Meranti, you need to say not keruing. Keruing is much heavier.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 am

This is where I have gotten all my plywood: https://hardwoodstore.com/
I went once and got two sheets of 3/4 and one sheet of 3/8 so I could do my transom and stem as well as the gussets. Then I went back a long time after that to get the rest of the 3/8 that I needed. You'll want to call first before you go to make sure they have what you need. I bought all of the 3/8 okoume they had last time I was there. They do deliver but I don't know if they will to Greenville. I do have a little over half of a sheet of Meranti 1088 that I used for gussetts that I would be willing to part with if you want that to get going on your frames.
Matt

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:32 am

hoodman wrote:This is where I have gotten all my plywood: https://hardwoodstore.com/
I went once and got two sheets of 3/4 and one sheet of 3/8 so I could do my transom and stem as well as the gussets. Then I went back a long time after that to get the rest of the 3/8 that I needed. You'll want to call first before you go to make sure they have what you need. I bought all of the 3/8 okoume they had last time I was there. They do deliver but I don't know if they will to Greenville. I do have a little over half of a sheet of Meranti 1088 that I used for gussetts that I would be willing to part with if you want that to get going on your frames.
Matt I appreciate the offer but I actually have the gussets already. My local supplier did have a little aquatek (BS6566) in 3/8" so I bought a sheet just for gussets. I will probably use more of it in the future for the deck, sole, and other interior components. For the hull planking and transom I really wanna use good BS 1088 (hydrotek or similar).

The hardwood store is like a three hour drive for me but I may just go that route. I'm going to need at least one and maybe two sheets of 3/4" for my build. If I can get just that and a little lumber for now it will keep me busy for a several weeks. Id be able to complete the transom, get the frames on the building form and get sheers, battens, keel, and chines on the boat. If I have to order plywood online I need to make a bulk purchase to cover all the shipping and that will wipe out my boat building budget for a couple months which means I'll have the plywood but won't be able to do much with it.

I need to win the lotto. Lol.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 am

I picked up my white oak from Catawba Hardwoods outside of Marion, NC. They had a much better price than the Hardwood Store. You could hit both in one day without going too far out of your way.
Matt

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 pm

So I heard about Southern Crown Boatworks north of Georgia. Reached out to them today and she may be able to get me a couple sheets. Gonna call me with a price tomorrow. We'll see. With a little luck I might be able to get a couple sheets this weekend and ATL isnt too far. Should be less than 2 hours ride. Hopefully they come through.

We'll see.

obd

Post by obd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Berlin G Myers Lumber in Summerville,SC has a great supply of Okoume marine plywood. Approximately 3 hrs from Grenville. I have been very satisfied with the Okoume for my Malahini build. Bob

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Alright. Southern Crown was able to get me just 2 sheets of 3/4" and they split the shipping with me so while it wasn't the most cost effective way to get a couple sheets it wasn't too bad. They will ship to a local terminal and I can pick it up Friday. Back in business.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Hood Distribution/McEwen Grp

4725 Auburn Knightdale Rd, Raleigh, NC 27610
(919) 772-7550

If you ever need good marine hull ply I purchased Joubert 1088 marine ply at the above.

They are technically wholesale, but I had no problem getting what I needed.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:33 pm

gdcarpenter wrote:Hood Distribution/McEwen Grp

4725 Auburn Knightdale Rd, Raleigh, NC 27610
(919) 772-7550

If you ever need good marine hull ply I purchased Joubert 1088 marine ply at the above.

They are technically wholesale, but I had no problem getting what I needed.
I have a good distribution location just 10 minutes from home. It's actually where I got the aquatek for my gussets. They didn't have any hydrotek though and wouldn't order less than a whole unit at a time.

Return to “Power Boats”