I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Mark-NJ

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Post by Mark-NJ »

I overworked the motor a few weeks back cutting floorboard slats. REALLY overworked it....so much that it tripped the breaker.

I was wearing hearing protection & a full-face respirator, so I didn't hear or smell the motor 'complaining'. When I finished sawing & removed the mask, the obvious was revealed. The motor was too hot to touch.

Now it runs with a nasty vibration, which tells me I've damaged some windings on the stator. I performed a megger test, and yes, there's some insulation damage.

So this isn't a "simple little thing"; I need a new motor.

The table saw manufacturer wants $450 for a cheap offshore replacement motor. No thanks....I'll likely get a Leeson 100109 to replace it. Better motor, lower cost. The only thing left to research is mounting: The Leeson is a NEMA 56 frame, the original is a non-NEMA no-name mystery motor. If the Leeson fits (or I can mod the saw's mount), I should be back in action shortly.....just a few Benjamins lighter.

Chugalug: the engine is a '53 Evinrude SuperFastwin....15HP. Not big, for sure, but it's what I have. I fully restored it a few years back and it runs great! Restoration pics are here, if you're interested: http://s86.photobucket.com/user/mark_no ... t=2&page=1

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Don't know if anyone still does it, my dad who had an appliance store used to have electric motors rewound and rebuilt. If my 1950 era craftsman motor ever dies, I think that's what I will do if I can.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

I'm not opposed to a rewind, per se, but there's two reasons in my case why not to:

1.) the cost of a rewind vs. the cost of a replacement is quite close in the small, single-phase range. With a big motor (>5HP, 3-phase, etc.), it makes financial sense. For a 1-1/2HP 240V 1-phase, not so much.

2.) the original motor is a Taiwanese, non-NEMA "mystery motor". Investing in it seems silly when for $325 I can get a brand new NEMA 56-frame Leeson....

That's how I'm leaning right now.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Well, now....

Spring is here, and I've been getting a lot done!

Over the last few "cold months", I've finished 2 sections of floorboards, and I've jointed up some 1x10" boards to make wide boards for seats & seatbacks.

Time to dryfit & start crafting the "insides".

I fabricated some seat supports, and laid the wide board in, just to get an idea of what would go where:

Unfortunately, when I'm cutting wood, I'm not taking pictures. I didn't capture the cutting, fitting, cutting some more, etc. So we need to fast-forward to the "almost done" pictures:

The rear seatback will be hinged to fold down for easier access between the front seat & the engine:

Here's the floorboards installed and the seatback hinged:

Seat folded down.....check out the seatback stops. So many boats simply use a piece of scrap screwed to the carling, but I wanted more style than that. So I opened up a book on design, found some art nouveau "curves" I liked, and made some cool stops!

Better looking that scrap blocks, no?

Got to working on the steering, too. Right now, just using paracord....but everything turns really well. The shrouded pulley + sched40 PVC worked out really well!

This is rapidly becoming a "boat". Who'dathunkit!!

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

That's looking great!!! Yes, you certainly are a boatbuilder. :D :D :D

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Beautiful work. Thanks for posting as you're giving me ideas for the next phase of my build.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Very classic looking! Your hinges don't look like they allow for any seat padding. Maybe you already thought of that though.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

The hinges are recessed into the wood. I made a routing jig, clamped it in place and routed.

That said, it's not my best routing job. Making 4 hinges fold so that none of them bind isn't as easy as "just drawing a straight line", so there had to be some "fine tuning" to the routing. Still, you'd have to really look to notice any imperfections, so I'm OK with the results.

There's a little more woodworking to be done, but I'm at the part where I'm starting to assemble things! Once it's all assembled, then it's time to disassemble, epoxy & varnish all brightwork, painting everything that's not brightwork. Then it's register, get a trailer & GO!

The goal is to be finished in time for our annual sojourn to Maine in early August. Still, now is most certainly NOT the time to start doing a rush job, so if it doesn't happen, that's OK, too.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Speaking of "not doing a rush job", I made a (financially-big) decision with my wife during breakfast.

The bow, not shown in any photos so far, is 1/4" Okume. I've stained it, sanded, stained again.......and it's the ugliest, most un-inspiring wood I've ever seen. By contrast, the Sapele just JUMPS with grain & color when epoxied & varnished. Every time I look at this boat, the Okume foredeck is going to scream at me: "you cheapskate!"....

I don't like it now, so there's zero chance I'm going to like it later.

So: big decision time. I'm ditching the Okume, and I'm going to buy 2 sheets of ribbon-cut Sapele ply. Expensive as hell, but I've come this far, and the initial budget is a distant memory anyway, so "why not?", right? I want a boat that says "WOW!", and the Okume ain't cuttin' it.

Ten years from now, the "WOW" will remain....the ~$400 more won't matter.

Onward & upward, right?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mark

Sounds like advice a friend gave me many years ago about golf clubs. Buy what you want! Then you won't think about it every time you look at the boat!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

zip001

Post by zip001 »

Wow Mark! Your detail work is fantastic. I love the seats and your design for them. Fantastic job all the way around.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Well, I've sort of left the Glen-L design in the dust, as I never wanted a "cockpit & deck" boat in the first place. From the beginning, I wanted a more open seat design, like a Lyman, Century, Thompson, etc. So the seating was a variation on those designs....

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Shifting gears a bit...

I'd like to revisit the bow-eye conversation from a few pages back. I bought this because the threaded rod was removable. I replaced the stock 4" rod with a 10" rod that will pass through my stem.

That said, I'm second guessing the choice of this product because it's a zinc die casting, and I'm questioning the strength of such. The manufacturer claims "4000 pound capacity", but that seems absurd. Think about it: would you hang something as heavy as a pickup truck from a zinc casting? Seriously?

I'm thinking a bronze eye would be much better, but I can't find one with a removable threaded rod. Anybody know a source?

Or am I worrying about nothing? The thought of this breaking off while the boat is on a mooring....or, worse, while being trailered....that's just too much to ponder!

Thoughts?

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

I am not a materials expert by any means, but just a quick search of shear strength of various metals showed that cast zinc and bronze are comparable in shear strength. Both are much weaker than steels like stainless. If they say that the eye can hold 4000lbs, then it probably could lift twice that, but I wouldn't want to be under it when someone did! If you are planning on using it to just winch your boat onto the trailer than it shouldn't be a problem. If you will be lifting your boat, then you should still be fine since you will need at least two of them to lift your boat (one in front, one in back) so the load on either one should be about 1/2 the boat weight (depending on the balance point) and I am sure your boat won't weigh 8000 pounds. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

joshuab

Post by joshuab »

I ordered mine through glen-l, they state these are made from polished stainless steel and were extremely affordable, might have a look.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170417-223504.png
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Return to “Power Boats”