I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sam992

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction! UPDATE: Chines

Postby sam992 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:51 am

Wow! This is really cool! You're a master I must say!

Mark-NJ wrote:Based on gdcarpenter's post, I opted to do half-lap joints...

I built a router jig out of scrap, and set up each piece for proper cutting

The results were pretty good!

Anyway, fast-forward to yesterday (4/30): The starboard chine is in! It was a productive day, and this is starting to take shape!

The Sapele was NOT going to work for chine material....it won't bend, it won't steam. It just simply "won't" much of anything requiring bending or twisting. So the winner: let White Oak rule the day. And it did!

I had to get a little creative with the clamping at the stem, because there wasn't really much to pull against. So I rigged up some grab points on my building frame, and everything worked great. A few "dry runs" to verify lengths, angles, etc. then it was glue time. In short, starboard side is done!

(the battens are not glued in yet...they're just laying in place.)

So today was "Port Side".

Dry fit...screw the bow end to the chineblock....dry fit....bevel a few frame angles....dry fit....cut to length.....dry fit....fit aft end to the transom......

I count at least 4 dry fits....don't you? Never once did the chine (or any other component) complain.

Mixed up the epoxy, glued, screwed & clamped the bow end, while the wife dutifully held the chine at the right height & angle. With everything tight, we began walking it around. The moment the chine touched the foremost frame, ***CRACK***. The chine split at the chineblock.....game over.

So I removed all screws & clamps and laid the misbehaving chine on the garage floor. I opened up the split with a few wedges and epoxied every inside surface liberally. Let it cure for a day or 2 and we'll try it all over again. Meanwhile, I'm going to watch the Talladega race and not think about it.

Web Designer at Popup Maker

Mark-NJ

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri May 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Well, this is an important day of note. With the installation of the starboard-rear deckboard, I can officially declare that construction is complete! Yes, I have a ton of sanding & epoxying & varnishing to do, followed by assembly, of course.....but "construction" is done. There is nothing more to be "built".

This has been an amazing journey, and while I'm not ready to launch yet, all of the "heavy lifting" is behind me. To say "I'm excited" is an understatement.

Last edited by Mark-NJ on Sat May 27, 2017 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat May 27, 2017 4:23 am

Nice to see another Glen-L boat nearing the finish line.

Great work!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat May 27, 2017 6:34 am

Great work, looks awesome!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat May 27, 2017 7:45 am

Got up early, removed the clamps & sanded everything flush & re-rounded the top edges.

Cleaned the decks with a vacuum, then a wipe down with naptha (wonderful stuff!), then hit all the brightwork with some epoxy...not the bow plywood. It's already 320 & ready for varnish. And the starboard rear hasn't been epoxied yet....it's having its holes pegged. it will get sanded & epoxied tomorrow.

Then all the brightwork gets washed (get rid of the blush), then a 220 & 320 sanding....then it's varnish time!

Another cool thing: all of my HIN paperwork, registration forms & cost-of-materials cert / receipts have been submitted to the town in Maine where this boat will live. Should have numbers in a week or so. The "fun" is going up exponentially!!

Last edited by Mark-NJ on Sat May 27, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat May 27, 2017 8:03 am

That really looks fantastic! This is the fun part, enjoy it!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat May 27, 2017 8:47 am

Two thoughts enter my mind:

1.) If you've been following this build, you may have begun to believe that my entire wardrobe consists of a.) an epoxy-saturated "visibility yellow" tee shirt, b.) a long-sleeve Carhartt work shirt (also epoxy-saturated), and c.) 2 pairs of torn & stained Carhartt workpants, all of which is unfit for wearing in public. I assure you I have nice clothing! I just don't wear it for boatbuilding. Oh, and a filthy, paint-stained "Cat" hat. When the boat is done, these articles of clothing will be burned. Rest assured!

I work for a Cat dealer, so I'll grab a replacement hat, too.

2.) I didn't post any pictures of the flotation foam being mixed & poured. Those pictures were on my wife's camera, and I only just now downloaded them. They'll be out-of sequence with today's build status, but If anyone wants to see them, I'll post them. Say the word if you want to see the 'process'...

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat May 27, 2017 11:19 am

Looking fantastic Mark! I am looking forward to seeing the remainder of the build and the splash this summer.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat May 27, 2017 2:48 pm

Ah, yes..."the splash".

My wife asked me just the other night, "Do you know how to launch a boat from a trailer at a boatlaunch?"

ummm...well...no!

So here's to hoping that my "splash" is more of a 'swish' than a 'splash'!!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat May 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Great project Mark! I also have some well epoxied work clothes too...
So there is only one trick to launching a boat at the ramp: install the drain plug first. Voice of experience...
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat May 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Just watch the funny videos of boat launching on youtube. It will show you all the things not to do.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Shifting gears here, I have a varnish question.

After a ton of research & quite a few phone calls to a few marine distributors, I decided to give a try to Jamestown's "Total Boat" varnish product called Lust. http://www.totalboat.com/product/lust/

Let's face it: EPA has made "traditional varnish" (with it's high TVOCs), pretty much a dinosaur, and I've come to grips with the notion that modern chemistry has come light years in the last 5 decades. So I'm not bothered by the "new claims of easy application & finish greatness" that a lot of modern varnishes offer. Specifically, what caught my eye with Lust was a.) no sanding between coats and b.) can recoat in an hour. So I bought some & tried it tonight on some "sub-assemblies" (seats, seatbacks, etc.)

WOW.

I thinned it about 10% by vol, and this stuff flows out better than any varnish I've ever used! Waited 2 hours, and applied a 2nd coat. The results are amazing. To get the finish I'm looking at would typically take 10 - 15 coats of a traditional varnish.

Here's the thing...and in it, my question:

All of my brightwork got 2 coats of epoxy, with a sanding out to 220...so I'm starting with fully sealed wood and a smooth surface. As good as the Lust might flow, I give credit to the epoxy for putting me where I am after only 2 coats.

So, since the varnish is mostly there to offer UV protection to the epoxy, how many coats do I really have to apply? The 2nd coat looks as good (or better) than any "varnished boat" I've seen, so I'm scratching my head about the need for a 3rd coat.

Varnish, to me, is something you "just keep putting on" until it looks good enough that the wood talks back, saying "ok, you can quit now"......and I have that finish after only 2 coats! Seems impossible, but it's true.

Do I have to apply more for the UV protection of the epoxy? Over an epoxy base, how much varnish is needed?

Thanks...

EDIT: I think I know the answer. The tech sheet says "Max UV protection with 6 - 8 coats"

BillW

Postby BillW » Sat May 27, 2017 10:03 pm

Well, if the manufacturer says 6 to 8, then...

Although, if the boat will live indoors most of the time, then maybe less ?

That boat is just beautiful !

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun May 28, 2017 5:03 am

It will be on a mooring for the 2 weeks we'll be in Maine....beyond that, just day use.

I woke up this morning and realized I have a fairly-significant interference problem with my seat installation & control cables. Looks like I might not be done with construction after all...

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm

This amazing journey is nearing completion....my varnish work is done!!!

I used TotalBoat "Lust" from Jamestown Distributors, and I couldn't be happier. Tip & Roll worked best, especially on vertical surfaces (transom, carlings, etc.), and I used just about exactly 1 gallon, getting 7 coats on everything. This stuff really does allow for recoat in 2 hours with no sanding, and will allow for 5 coats a day, although I stuck to a less-aggressive timeline.

The seat supports are in, and I'm beginning to assemble stuff. And I need to touch up the hull in a few places where varnish soaked through the masking tape. Still & all, the "to-do" list is shrinking rapidly!

The only snag I've hit is that Maine won't process my HIN number request via e-mail. Inland Fisheries requires that I present myself in person. I *might* take a day and zip up & back (I've done it before; it's doable, but not "fun")...or more likely we'll just take it with us when we go in Aug, and I'll do the processing on the first Monday we're there. The whole process takes an hour, so it's not a huge deal....but still.....

Return to “Power Boats”