I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby PeterG » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Will they need to see the boat for that? I am curious how that goes for Maine... I know in New Hampshire the Marine Patrol does these... My dad is a Marine Patrol officer and he inpected Billy C's Belle Isle for getting his HIN.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Evan

Postby Evan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm

That is a nice looking boat.

I see you built on a platform, I am considering the same.

Is there anything that you did not like about doing it that way or would change?

thanks

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:07 pm

So far, nobody in Maine has said anything about an inspection....but if they want to, that's fine. To my understanding, it's all just paperwork. The town clerk told me what she needed & gave me the forms. The only wrinkle is that she needs me to file it all person.

As for the rolling building platform, I wouldn't do anything differently. That said, I didn't have much choice, as my available space (or lack thereof!!) mandated that I be able to roll the boat around. I worked on the boat in the driveway, while using my powertools (tablesaw, bandsaw & other large machines) in the garage...but at night, it all got rolled back into the garage.

I should also mention: If anyone in NJ (or close by) wants this platform, it's available! I have no place to keep it, once this boat is done & on the trailer. Anyone local need a building platform?

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:38 am

Woke up this morning and realized that the interior needs a lot of touchup work. After all, I've been walking around in / on it for months now. So with a little vacuuming, washing & re-painting, it looks pretty nice!

I installed the first 2 sections of floorboards, and I REALLY like the look & the contrasting colors.

But the best part of the day: I got to meet our very own Dr.BryanJ!! Really nice guy! I had some leftover supplies that he could use, so he came over to pick them up. Great meeting you Bryan! If you need help with your flip, give me a call!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Mark that is outstanding, you'll have lots of fun, and lots of attention! Hmm... You should enter that in the Woodenboat show in Mystic, CT!

Evan

Postby Evan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 pm

ok thanks, I think the moving platform will work better for me as well.

I like the different colour floorboards as well.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:09 pm

:D That boat looks really nice.I hope you're going to use some sort of motor plates as wouldn't want that wood screwed up from the motor clamps. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 pm

I've been thinking about a motor plate.

I have a friend who owns a sheetmetal shop, and I'm sure he could whip up something pretty easily. I'm thinking maybe a piece of 16 ga. stainless, bent in a "U" shape that would slide over the transom, extending down just below where the engine clamps on.

As for entering in a show, I'm not so sure! It looks nice, but I don't think it looks THAT nice!

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

I think your idea of a SS motor plate would look cool. I wish I had done my transom in natural wood finish instead painting. Yours looks great.
I'm thinking about making a wood motor plate to give the same kind of contrasting bling effect back there.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:34 pm

I saw this boat in person today, it is really beautiful. Mark, you have done a marvelous job. Gives me inspiration to get mine finished. It was very nice meeting you today. You have me wondering what you are going to name her. I guess I'll have to wait to see. Thank you for the flotation foam. As you said, I will pay it forward.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 am

A motor plate would be helpful for protection... I am considering a piece of 1/2" thick white oak, varnished without stain for contrast, installed to the inside of the transom, with bronze or stainless screws. As the boat ages and the motor plate gets marred, I can unscrew it, refinish it and reinstall it.
The Woodenboat show has a special classification for home built boats, there have been all kinds of entrants. The home builts seem to draw the most attention at the show, from spectators and especially the other boat builders.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 am

Beautiful! Nice piece of floating furniture. I especially like the flooring.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 am

PeterG wrote: I am considering a piece of 1/2" thick white oak, varnished without stain for contrast, installed to the inside of the transom, with bronze or stainless screws. As the boat ages and the motor plate gets marred, I can unscrew it, refinish it and reinstall it.

Interesting. That might look better than stainless steel.

PeterG wrote:The Woodenboat show has a special classification for home built boats, there have been all kinds of entrants. The home builts seem to draw the most attention at the show, from spectators and especially the other boat builders.

Interesting as well. Maybe I will enter it. Why not, right?

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:36 am

Here you go, check it out:

https://thewoodenboatshow.com/ibim/

While the Woodenboat Show may appear to mostly cover more traditional wood boat designs and construction, in fact all wood boats of all designs are welcomed. Glen-L designs have been well represented over the years, some fine boats on display.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Great pictures!

Looks like something I'd like to attend, even if I don't take my boat!

Return to “Power Boats”