I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:06 am

Mark

I agree with Bob. Butch Barto and I had problems with spray coming up on plane and coming off. Butch and I don't consider spray rails an option.

Also, at least the hollow back. Although that roller seems soft enough, it ain't.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:44 pm

where can I get that SS hollow-back rail?

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:51 pm

For the hollow back rail, try Defender.com or Marineind.net. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:37 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:08 am

For what it's worth I used a product called "keel Gard". Essentially a 'peel and stick' application. Five years later it's still looking good.
Attachments
image.jpeg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:07 pm

I purchased from Cruiser Marine
http://cruisermarine.com/hollow-back-rub-rail-304-stainless-steel.html

Anything longer than 8' has to ship by truck, but 8', which they offer, can go UPS.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:04 am

After some thought and googling a million boat pictures, I think the decision will be to make a wooden keel/bow strip, as shown on this beautiful Lyman:

So the bow of my boat has been flattened to accept such a strip. Next was to fashion a template. Is there anything that can't be done with corrugated cardboard?

There's an optical illusion here that makes it look like the bow isn't straight & that the template is standing proud. That's not the case...it's all in the lighting.

From there I took some 3/4" ply, transferred the curve, and made a mold:

I have a piece of 1" (i.e. 3/4") x 1-1/2" x 11' of white oak, but why risk the breakage? I ran it through the tablesaw and turned it into 3 bendable strips. Wrapped with shop towels and a little boiling water...they're ready to bend on their own!

...and into the mold they go.

Final score: Human-1 Oak tree-0

I'll set them aside for a while & let them "learn their new shape"

Oh.....I don't think I ever shared this: The single most important tool for keeping me sane......an organizer for my plans.

Take a standard 10' stick of 2" sched40 PVC, and cut it into 4 pieces. Three x 32" and one x 18". Screw four 2" caps to a block of wood, then glue in the tubes. Label them accordingly, and you have a pretty great place to keep them: readily available, but never in the way.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Wow I like your bending form and also your plan holder. The boat looks great too!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks!

One step at a time, ya know?

Next step: fiberglassing. Here's to hoping the good results keep coming! Image

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Where does the time go?!! Summer is almost over, but progress is being made!

Fiberglass went on easily, and the epoxy over it was simple. I was really concerned about this part, but there was really not much to it.

One thing, though: I went to a "marine supply house who's name you'd know" to buy the foam rollers. A 2-pack was $8.50! :shock: :shock: :shock: Google to the rescue: I found " http://www.thepaintstore.com ", and they had the exact same rollers for $1.89 . After all, just about *anything* in a marine store can be bought for less elsewhere. Here's a link directly to the foam rollers, if you're interested...http://www.thepaintstore.com/Wooster_Tiz_Twin_Pack_p/r730.htm

Today was skeg / keelstrip day. The previously bent oak strips are dry-fitted / screwed in this pic....

This morning I went to the lumberyard to get some 5/4 white oak for the skeg. The 4" stock was awful.....not a straight piece in the rack. Had to buy a 6"....

Rough piece:

...and cut to shape:

Not sure how I did it, but I drilled the screwholes for the skeg off-center. So those have been plugged, and we'll try again tomorrow! But as for the bowstrip, it's all glued & screwed:

I also figured it was a good time to do the "transom buildup". The edge where the transom meets the bottom needs to be knife-edge sharp, but fiberglass won't go over an edge. So it had to be rounded to be glassed. Now it's time to re-build the edge, so I covered a board with wax paper, clamped it in place, then filled the void with thickened epoxy. I'll grind it to an edge once cured.

Almost time for paint! Considering I began in March, this is moving right along.

Shifting gears, I was in Maine on vacation a few weeks back. My wife and I were driving up Rt 1 just north of Newcastle, and on the right was a sign in front of some buildings that said "Lie-Nielson". I've seen their ads in woodworking magazines....so...STOP THE CAR!! They have a showroom, and they take VISA. I'm in huge trouble!

The showroom had workbenches in it, and you could pick up any tool (their entire product line was on display) and try them out. It was awesome! They truly make "heirloom tools". Just as much "art" as "tool".....these are not Home Depot tools. You can tell when you have a quality tool in your hand, and everything I touched was pure perfection. It was heaven!

They had a very cool tool that I had never seen before. Simple beyond words, I'm sure this pre-dates the industrial revolution.... It's a dowel plate. I had to have one! Just hammer a piece of square stock through the die....instant dowel!! What's not to love?

So for those screwholes where thickened epoxy won't look good, I can make my own dowels. Sweet!
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:04 am, edited 8 times in total.

BillW

Postby BillW » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:27 am

If you are plugging screw holes with wood rather than putty, for better looks, then dowels will just show end-grain and not
look much better.

Make the plugs (bungs) with plug cutters, so the grain can match, or nearly match, your deck (or whatever).

Bill

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:34 am

Not sure I concur.....even end grain looks better than thickened epoxy (IMO anyway).

Moving forward, I'm in the final stages of "prep for paint"....which, of course requires sanding to a "...uniform dull grey with no shiny spots..."

This is the "not fun" stage. But I laid on lots of thin coats of epoxy, so it's a fairly uniform surface and it's coming out nicely. Also, I find if I put my iPod earbuds in before my hearing protection, the music makes things go much faster. Still, it's tedious as hell....

I want this part to be over-and-done......but my neighbors REALLY want it done! Even with the garage doors closed, the sound of the sander on the hull is like a giant, resonant amplifier plus the sound of the shop vac on top of that...well, it's unplesantly loud! (as I'm sure you all know!)

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:00 am

Almost done! What a PITA! :D But my iPod got me through! Some Dr. John....some Bob Dylan....some Grateful Dead....and voila: uniform dull grey!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:05 am

Mark

Looking good. Dust it off then wet it. All the problems will go away.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:34 am

Wet it? With what & why?

The paint says to wipe the hull with thinner before the paint gets applied, but the paint hasn't arrived yet. Is that the "wet" that you're referring to?

Return to “Power Boats”