I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:52 am

Mark

Water.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm

I'm guessing just to clean off the dust?

Anyway, I'm having a very productive weekend! The hull is all sanded.

Next: waterline. I've been struggling with the "how, exactly?" for determining the waterline. The plans show that it's where the chine meets rib #4, but how do I translate that to the entire hull?

Then I got to thinking & remembering a physics professor who was big on the "one fixed point in space" theory. Hmmmm......do I have a fixed point? Well, YES!! The floor!

My garage floor is a perfect cement pouring...flat, level, no cracks. And my building frame is perfectly level, too; I spent considerable time getting it so. And I have to believe that the hull is "square, sound & plumb".....and measurements seem to bare that out.

So it hit me: I can use all of this to my advantage. I took an old microphone stand, screwed it to a dolly, and taped a steel scribe to the boom. By rolling it around the floor, I can make it just barely touch the hull in spots, then apply a piece of tape with a mark. Now I just need to "connect the dots".

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:02 pm

My neighbors refer to my hours of random orbital sanding as the smarm of bees in my garage. neighbor stuck his head in one day and said "you know, they sell boats preassembled "
Little does he know about the journey to getting on the water.
Matt

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:58 pm

good work! I did similar with my boot stripe :D

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Matt: That's the part that nobody understands....this isn't about OWNING a boat. This is about BUILDING a boat. Oh, yeah, *and* owning a boat. But >75% about the journey, for sure!

Jenko: Speaking of the boot stripe, it has me confused. In fact, the whole "order of operations" on the hull paint is something that I could use help with. Do I:

a.) Paint the bottom paint and have it meet the topside paint, then paint the stripe OVER the two at the joint?

b.) Paint the 3 colors...bottom, topside & stripe...as individual separate areas with no overlap?

c.) Some other method?

How much overlap...if any...is acceptable when bringing these 3 color zones together?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Mark

How you do it may depend on your paint systems. If they are all compatible you could paint the bottom up to the topside paint. Then wait till its in the water to mark the actual waterline. You then use the boot stripe to make any correction that you feel you need!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:55 pm

I painted bottom then boot stripe then clear over the lot and was lucky the bootstripe was right

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Ah...I see you did bright sides.

I'm painting....with Pettit. I'll call them tomorrow and ask about overlapping. They've been super helpful so far....

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:25 am

This weekend is most decidedly *NOT* a "painting weekend" in NJ.....the heat + humidity is oppressive!

Still, it got me thinking: after paint, I'm ready to "flip". I have my flip team lined up, and all it's going to cost me is steaks on the grill & a few beers.

But flip....onto what? I don't own a trailer yet, and right now the finances don't allow me to buy one. So I figured I'll reuse my building platform, but the building frame will need to be stripped off it and a "cradle frame" will need to be added.

So this weekend I took advantage of the pre-painted hull and used it's contour to make a cradle which I can attach to my platform.

I'm supporting under frames 1 & 4...and I have a mid support that spans the inner battens midway between 2 & 3. I figure that should be fine, and once the boat is set in place, I can block under the keel / skeg.

All three pairs of supports contact the hull at different compound angles, so the uprights had to be cut very carefully, but I got them done. the result is that they follow the hull contour nicely, and the surfaces which will rest on my platform are true, square, level & plumb. I'll finish off the support pieces with rug scraps or maybe foam + fabric. Not sure yet.

At first glance these might seem taller than necessary, but I need the height to mount the motor and not have it touching the ground.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:40 pm

You're making amazing progress Mark! It took me nearly 4 years to get to this point. The ski tow is looking great. At this rate you'll be in the water before you know it.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm pretty excited.....about an hour after I posted, the humidity broke. It's beautiful right now....78 degrees, 38% RH. Painting weather! So I put some on....

I'm using Pettit Unepoxy on the bottom, and this paint is glorious! First of all, the aroma reminds me of my childhood, growing up around boats at Lake Hopatcong. And the paint just flows wonderfully! I was going to roll, then tip....but I ended up just brushing it on, and it has flowed out perfectly! Of course, it's a flat paint, dark blood-red....so it's not like I need to obtain a perfect gloss. Still, this stuff just brushed on perfectly. I'll 220 sand it tomorrow night (provided the weather stays nice) and put on a 2nd coat.

I have paint on my hull! Heck of a milepost!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Awesome! Nice looking hull!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Along this journey, I've had moments where I really felt like this whole thing would / should just go into the firepit.

But I've passed a huge tipping point! This might just be "a boat" after all...!!!

First full coat is on!

Last post, I noted the nostalgia of the "aroma". All I was doing was brushing some on the skeg. In "full paint" mode, however....this stuff is awful! Respirator is mandatory, and even at that, this stuff gasses out so much distillate vapor it gets into everything. Anything absorbent sucks up the stink. My shirt, pants....even socks....reek of solvents.

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:29 am

Mark,
I am not sure whether you already have a motor or have an older motor planned for you build, but I noticed what appears to be a transom for a 15" shaft. Most motors you will find, including those from the 70's, like the Merc 650 I originally bought for my Malahini, have 20" shafts. 15" shafts were built, but they are difficult to find.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Yes....it's a short transom hull, and I have a vintage short transom Evinrude. Fully restored & ready to go.

++++

Today's update isn't a "happy day" posting: I was reading the spec sheet for the Pettit hull paint I'm using (1-part Unepoxy) and noticed the fine print about how I have "...60 days to launch".

Huh?

So I called Pettit & spoke to the tech dept. Same guy who recommended this paint...and to whom I explained my application....now tells me that this paint can't "wait" until I launch next summer, it's all wrong, won't work, and that I need a different paint.

FWIW, a big-name marine distributor ALSO recommended this hull paint, also after being told of my application.

Good news: the new stuff will go over the old stuff with just a sanding. Bad news: $65 bucks a quart.

I'm not particularly happy right now.

If anyone needs an unopened quart of Pettit Unepoxy 1-part bottom paint in red, send me a PM. This stuff: http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=19

Return to “Power Boats”