I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby hoodman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 pm

Is your boat going to be in the water full time? If not you probably don't need a bottom paint.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Not often, but when it's in the water, it will be in for two to three weeks at a time. Everyone I've spoken to...Interlux, Pettit, Jamestown (totalBoat brand)...all agree: "above the line" paint won't do.

I just sanded the bottom....replacement paint will be here tomorrow. No point in changing courses now.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:44 pm

That's interesting because I thought that ablative bottom paints all go bad if not kept in the water.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Bottom paint is a mystery to me, and after talking to Pettit & Interlux & Jamestown, I'm more confused than ever. Seems like there's no "perfect paint" for any given application.

That said, I'm moving forward with this new paint & I'm hoping for the best.

And, frankly, I don't even care about anti-fouling......I just want it to "stay on".

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:35 am

Great strides moving forward!

The paint debacle is resolved, and this new paint really is a pleasure to work with. Boat can be kept in or out of the water, there's no hurry to launch, it went right over the previous paint after a light sanding (A-OK per Pettit), same color, rolls on nicely....and it's water-based! No odor at all! It's "multi-season ablative", and based on my anticipated use, I should get 4 or 5 seasons out of it. Dries very hard, very fast.

In the next week or 2 I'll be doing the flip, but I want to re-use my platform, switching it from "building frame" to "cradle".

But "How to?"

I estimate the pre-flip weight to be about 300 pounds & figured there had to be a way to lift the boat to pull the frame out.

I crawled underneath and removed all the C-clamps that held the ribs to the building frame. Happily, no "epoxy drips" bonded the 2 together! Then I jacked up the bow and slid a jacking dolly under the bow block. With rib #4 now clear of the building frame by about 3", the only remaining contact was rib #1.

I figured if I could just lift the stern up about 18", the platform should slide right out under the transom.

So I rigged up a block & tackle to the garage rafter, gave a tug, and up she went! My wife slid the platform/frame out with ease.

Then I lowered the boat onto some jackstands

Frame in the driveway....

I am not, for the most part, a particularly sentimental guy. But the deconstruction of the building frame seemed a little sad. Sure, in the end I'm getting a boat out of the deal, but still. Just seemed like I got a little melancholy.

OK....I'm over it! Moving on: All cleaned off......

...and the cradle is in place! I need to put some padding on the cradle faces....that's this afternoon's task.

Getting closer!
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:24 am

:D That's kinda like my Bo-Jest flip;only I drilled out motorwell drain hole and used that as a pivot point as well as the bow eye.didn't want to chance the hull falling off a clamp in stern. your boat hull will be alot lighter(mine was about 1000 lbs) :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Sweet! Looking great! Glad you got the paint situation worked out.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Saturday was "Flip Day"

On 3....one, two, THREE!

I figured the front lawn was the best place.....soft grass beats the paved driveway.

Down...

...up...

....and over!

Then lift again....

...and onto the cradle.

Done! Total time = 4 minutes!

Fire up the grill...

All it cost me was a few steaks & a case of beer.

Of course, the inside is a mess! Thousands of little epoxy drip "stalactites" and a few screws that came through where they ought not have. And the sheers are a mess.....uneven laminations & plywood. I have some work to do before I can do much forward movement.

Here's a question: forward deck beams & battens......is there any reason they can't be made from doug-fir (i.e. construction lumber)? They don't have to bear much weight, they'll be glued together, and they'll ultimately be painted. Is there a need for expensive hardwood (sapele, white oak, etc.)?

Or.....if they should be hard(er) wood, is there any reason not to use something like red oak? I can get red oak for cheap, it's very strong.......but I've read that it's not good for boat construction. But in this application, I'm finding it hard to see a problem.

EDIT: or maybe just ACX 3/4" ply? I have a ton of that left over...

Thoughts?
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:05 pm

It seems that your not just building a boat. But, you're building friendships, too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Well, sure!

Besides, what good is owning a boat if you don't have great friends to share it with?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:13 am

Congratulations on the flip! Looks like a good time! ACX is treated right? I've heard treated lumber might not play nice with epoxy. Long leaf Southern Yellow Pine is supposed to be a suitable boatbuilding lumber. Red oak has an open pore structure so it can soak up lots of water. But, maybe it is well encapsulated?

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:25 am

Looks like you had fun flipping. Congratulations! THe inside of your boat looks so much cleaner than mine. I'd be embarrassed to show a picture of mine.
There was a video on the forum about how much water red oak absorbs and how quickly it will rot. I would stay away from it. Doug fir can be used for frames so that is usable. The left over ply might work. Edge grain might be a concern, but if I remember, that's already been discussed in your thread and dismissed.

Matt, not a lot of southern yellow pine available in NJ
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:50 pm

It's a funny thing....now that it's right-side-up, my mind is focused, for the first time, on decks, carlings, dashboards, etc.

I didn't really notice before but the plans, the building guide, the book, the 'net...they're all really "thin" on plans for decks & such. I suppose there's a fair amount of leeway in the design, and it seems that a lot of folks take some "design liberties" at this point, ultimately making their boat their own.

On one hand, that's liberating! On the other, man!....the possibilities flood my mind faster than I can sketch them! I have a few ideas though......this is getting fun!

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:57 am

Mark,
Congratulations on your flip. The boat looks great. I know what you mean about the plans and what to do now. The hull is a very serial and structured build. Once you flip, it becomes more free-form and random. You can work on this or that depending on how you feel. It is somewhat intimidating.

BTW.. what was your resolution on the paint? What did you use?

Also, I believe the Ski-Tow frames are the same as the Malahini. Isn't there supposed to be a deck beam across frame 1?

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Deck beam across #1......plans call for it, but I'm doing the build more as an open utility. Think "old Lyman, Thompson, Century, etc."

Might do the foredeck with individual strips (like a Chris-Craft...no idea what you call that), but haven't decided. I don't own a big enough bandsaw or a planer, so getting thin strips will be the determining factor. Anyone in NJ own a bandsaw & planer? I'll buy lunch!!

Paint: ended up with Pettit Hydrocoat for below the waterline. It's a multi-season ablative, there's no "countdown to launch", it won't go bad while the boat sits on a trailer, it could go directly over the previous paint (pettit unepoxy), and it's water-based, with absolutely no aroma. (the unepoxy smelled awful!)

Return to “Power Boats”