Malahini in Ireland

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Re: Malahini in Ireland

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 am

Your Malahini looks fantastic, dark sides are very unique. Keep posting progress.
Here’s my take on a boat stereo. One high quality marine grade blue tooth speaker......done, system complete. My kids don’t even know how to use an in dash radio, they love the waterproof JBL speaker we have in the Malahini. In the picture we beached the boat for an island picnic and took the speaker with us, really easy solution.
Matt B
Attachments
AF35D4CA-4274-497C-AC5A-FD4B97B58D20.png

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:13 pm

I used all Automotive stereo equipment in my boat build, however I chose each component based on materials used in their Construction, polypropylene cones with rubber surround for both subwoofers and mid-range, it wasn't until after purchasing the items and reading through the literature supplied that it was stated that the particular kicker brand speakers were in fact waterproof, the same goes for my amp and head unit, both Automotive so I did my best to keep them mounted in a protected location. I have no doubts that Automotive stereo equipment will hold up fine in a marine application if chosen carefully and installed thoughtfully.
Attachments
20160608_210931.jpg
20160324_222235.jpg
20161001_163932.jpg
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:37 am

JoeM wrote:
Richie M wrote:Thanks for the words of encouragement!!
I am working on the interior deck while fairing the sheers and as I look at the plans in more detail I realise that I am gling to have to do the final layout of the dash sooner than I had expected. I have bought a hydraulic steering kit so Ihave the helm unit as a starting point for the layout and Iintend to get faria gauges. What should I look for when selecting the gauges? There seems to be a big range of options, is the style of the gauge the only differencating factor or is there more to consider?
I also want to put a stereo into the boat and I am wondering if anyone has experience of using marine spec equipment or can stereo equipment intended for a car be used? Either way I plan to have the speakers under the deck to minimise any water getting on them.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I am too new to answer your other questions. But I actually have a little experience with Stereos. What I was told when I was doing research on swapping out a dead stereo in a 24'Skipjack was that depending on use, a car stereo is fine.

Are you in saltwater or fresh the majority of the time?
Is your boat trailered or slipped?
Is it stored indoors or outdoors?
How long is your boat in the water or extremely humid and/or hot environments?

The Skipjack was mainly saltwater. It was trailered but stored at a dry dock at the marina. It was outdoor storage. Due to being at the marina, heat is not an issue but humidity is. It was in the water for a few days at a a time max.

For my purposes, replacing with a marine stereo was the most efficient route. That was proven when my brother, to save money, bought a cheap $20 car stereo and installed it. His reasoning, he could buy 4-5 car stereos for the price of a marine one. A week later we barely made it a few hours with the stereo before it died during the first use. I don't know what happened. Seems to be too soon for it to have corroded, though there was a week where it was exposed to the humid air. We weren't pounding in the chop too much. Only thing I can think of was one of the components didn't react well to the humidity and shorted out. Had we used a marine stereo, I doubt that would have happened since they are sealed from moisture and/or otherwise able to deal with it.

On the flip side, A guy I know has a ski-boat. He runs in freshwater the majority of the time. His boat is trailered, stored in his garage, put in the water for a few days at a time max, and is out of humid and/or hot environments the majority of the time. He has had a car stereo in it for almost 3 years now. Seems to be going strong.

One place I wouldn't skimp, the speakers. Make sure you get waterproof marine speakers. I would also plan on using all heat shrink connections to minimize moisture intrusion.

For me, I would probably go ahead and get a marine stereo and do all the right heat shrink connections.

I really appreciate all the advice, some good ideas on the marine radio. To give the discussion a bit more context I will 90% of the time use the boat on fresh water and I intend to trailer the boat between trips so the most the boat will be on the water for will be a couple of days. I plan to keep the boat in a dry garage when not in use. The climate in Ireland has very few extremes, so no high humidity, it never gets too hot for prolonged periods of time and if its raining the boat will most likely be on a trailer in the garage.
Based on your comments Ithink I will go for a marine head unit with marine speakers. I like the look of some of the marine units that require a circular cutout. There is not much of a price difference for a unit with aux in and bluetooth.
Hercdrvr wrote:Your Malahini looks fantastic, dark sides are very unique. Keep posting progress.
Here’s my take on a boat stereo. One high quality marine grade blue tooth speaker......done, system complete. My kids don’t even know how to use an in dash radio, they love the waterproof JBL speaker we have in the Malahini. In the picture we beached the boat for an island picnic and took the speaker with us, really easy solution.
Matt B

That is a really good idea I just dont want to regret putting in a head unit because it would be so much more work to do it some time in the future.
joshuab wrote:I used all Automotive stereo equipment in my boat build, however I chose each component based on materials used in their Construction, polypropylene cones with rubber surround for both subwoofers and mid-range, it wasn't until after purchasing the items and reading through the literature supplied that it was stated that the particular kicker brand speakers were in fact waterproof, the same goes for my amp and head unit, both Automotive so I did my best to keep them mounted in a protected location. I have no doubts that Automotive stereo equipment will hold up fine in a marine application if chosen carefully and installed thoughtfully.

I have been watching your build closely, your monthly build videos are very informative and I find myself going back to watch videos that show a perticular detail that Iam working on. I'm looking forward to your next video...should be any time now.... :D

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:48 am

Jimbob wrote:Richie,

Your boat is looking great! After the flip, the fun really begins. I am really enjoying this part of the build on my boat.
Here's a couple of answers to your questions:

I had a runabout that had a car stereo and It worked just fine. The stereo was in a compartment with a door that would close (sort of like a glove box). They should be available in marine stores.

I got my gauges from classic instruments. On my speedo gauge instead of an odometer, it has an hour meter that looks like an odometer. The speedo gauge also has a gps unit so that you don't have to use the pickup and tube that never seem to work. (debris on the water are always kicking up the sender piece.) If you look on my build pages below, on page #6 you will see my dashboard with the gauages that I got.

Jim

For the gauges I plan on getting a GPS unit meaning that the only interaction with the engine will be the rev counter. I have already bought a 45 litre fuel tank with a sender which I was told is compatitable with the faria range. So there isnt much more to do except to buy the gauges!!

I have been working on the interior fitout for the last few days. I have faired the sheers from the transom to frame 1 and I dont intend to do much more until I have finished the deck framing. I still have to finish sanding the interior before getting a few seal coats on but it is nice to be making saw dust again.
20171230_121555.jpg

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Any idea what you’re going to power her with yet?
Matt B

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:44 am

I'm looking for a 3 cylinder 4 stroke engine around 60hp, with low hours and at a great price, should be easy :?
I have my eye on 2 engines at the moment but I'm not very familiar with what I should be looking for. Anyone have an idiot's guide for how to not buy a bad engine?

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:55 pm

I got some work done on the motor well today. I ran out of oak so I could only do one side but I think I thve the shape worked out now so it shouldnt take too long to finish.
20180101_160037.jpg

I also cut the piece of mahogany that I intend to use for the dsah to length to get an idea of the size of the cockpit.
20180101_185417.jpg

I will pick up more oak during the week and should get back to framing the deck by next weekend. In the mean time I need to get back to cleaning up the interior and getting a few coats of epoxy on.

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I decided to get a marine stereo for my Malahini and I got 4 speakers with it for $100 delivered. I tested the sound quality yesterday and it is pretty good but the louder it gets you can hear that it is missing a sub. There is a RCA output so at least I can add an amp in the future.
20180115_203425.jpg

It also gave me a good excuse to put my adjustable hole saw to use. I bought a drill press just before christmas and the 2 together work really well.
20180113_122912.jpg

I am going to get back to framing the deck over the weekend and I mioght even get a coat of epoxy on the interior.

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm going to pour flotation foam under the floor and I have a few questions:
I want the flotation to be removable so that at the end of a season I can lift the floor remove the foam blocks and inspect the structure of the boat. If I was to pour the foam into a large bin bag under the floor sections would the foam set solid in the bag allowing me to remove the block of PU foam and peel off the plastic bag and then replace it under the floor again? I hope I am clear in what Iam saying, I'm sure that someone has a more refined method for achieving the same result!!

My other question is how much buoyancy should I look to put in?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am

Roberta discusses this in her torpedo thread. She poured them outside the boat in blocks. they recommend enough foam to offset non floating stuff (motor etc) as the wood and people with life jackets are naturally buoyant :D Glen also covers this in the last chapter of the boat building with plywood book.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm

I am slowly making progress on framing the deck and almost have it ready to do the final glue up and fix in place. Its great to be making saw dust after all the coats of paint and epoxy before the flip.
I am starting to think about what to do for floow boards.
20170612_181233.jpg
some of the tree milled into boards
20161106094518_IMG_0734.JPG
More work than expected to get it home!!
I bought a 300 year old aok tree that I have used for most of the boat so far so I have no shortage of 3/4" oak but after putting the first baord in place I can see that it is going to be a very heavy floor.
20180226_211340.jpg
Getting a look at the first floor board

I calculate that the floor will weigh about 70Kg or 150lbs, that is the weight of a passenger!! Perhaps that is not unreasonable but it seems like alot. What do people usually use for the floor?

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm

I made my floor out of White Ash, it’s heavy but the price was right and I like the look. Plywood is probably easiest and lightest weight answer. To save weight my seats are attached to the battens. If you lift up a seat bottom your looking at the bottom of the boat. The middle section of floor between the seats is removable and the forward section is hinged so it tilts up for access.
Matt B
Attachments
380D29D3-580F-4951-AE7A-7BE10F8052A4.jpeg
E08BE0D4-2F35-4C3A-9617-D9D644815198.jpeg

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for that, not flooring under the seats will save alot of weight and will allow me to put in some storage. Another point of view is always a great help!!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:02 pm

So another way to look at it too, is that oak is very strong compared to mahogany and other hardwoods used for boats. For example you can plane it down to 1/2" thickness and still have it be strong enough for deck boards without the added weight.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:46 am

I think I will put in itermediate floor supports and reduce the floor thickness to half inch.

On another note I am looking at boat trailers and I was wondering what the finished weight is likely to be? I know that obviously depends on the engine and a few other variables but what is the dry no engine weight likely to be? I think Iwill go with braked suspension one way or the other but Imay not be able to go with 4" wheel hubs to keep the boat lower, but perhaps Ishould also go for bigger wheels, lots to think about!!!

Return to “Power Boats”