monaco ready to flip

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Fair Dinkum

Re: monaco ready to flip

Postby Fair Dinkum » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi all, i have started to dry fit my engine. I have trimmed frame 6 to fit the sump, but in refitting the engine, I have noticed the remote oil connection protrudes 50mm beyond the sump. So three choices. Cut an appropriate hole in the keel and reinforce the keel. Bring the engine more forward and extend the shaft to meet it. Or replace the sump with a lower profile. Any ideas?
Attachments
20161022_130754.jpg
20161022_130724.jpg

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 pm

If the remote oil connection is just for draining I would move it to the side
I would leave the keel alone and make the sump fit.
That being said is the engine at the correct location? I would be hesitant at moving it forward if it is.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:12 am

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it look's to me that the engine assembly needs to come forward a bit and maybe angled more to meet the prop shaft. That might solve the drain plug issue. Most people use the dipstick tube to suck the oil out instead of draining from the bottom. You are probably aware that the floor timber needs more trimming to clear the bell housing. My plans called for that floor timber to be doubled up to provide reinforcement to counter the excessive trimming required for the engine and transmission. Not clear in the pics if yours is doubled. In any case, I would not alter the keel.

When fitting up my engine, I purchased a stainless steel tube in place of the prop shaft for fitting purposes. That way I could manipulate things to get the best fit-up and later determine the actual length prop shaft needed.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:46 am

I'm concerned about the distance between the back of the coupling and the packing nut. Is there room the change the shaft packing?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 am

That caught my attention. too, Bill. That's what leads me to believe the motor is too far back. I think I would have a deck beam cut to see how much room I had to fit the motor under the deck. Sometimes without the deck beams in place, it look's like the engine may be too high. Often there is more room than appears. Glen designed these boats with the small block V8s and standard transmissions in mind, so they should fit, Typically the motor should fit just behind the frame in front of it, leaving room for a bulkhead partition.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 am

Fair Dinkum
I think you engine location is fine. As Roberta said it's nice to have the engine behind a bulkhead partition that can be attached to frame 4. You may have to shorten the shaft log rubber hose to service the gland or alternately install a lip seal log. This one came from Cassell Marine. GL stock a similar type. Most ski/wake boats use them now. The blue hose is passing through Frame 2. With the oil drain obstruction can you remove it, install a low profile plug and suck the oil out through the dipstick tube? See Fynspray sump pumps.
Attachments
DSCF8926 (1024x768).jpg

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote: Is there room the change the shaft packing?

How often does a straight shaft inboard NEED to have the packing replaced? I'm not being facetious. I honestly do not know.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Dave

It depends on several factures. How much you use the boat, how fast, how tight did you tighten the nut, what kind of packing... You can tighten the nut a few times. But, you will have to replace it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 pm

That makes sense.

Are we talking once a season or .... just to be safe or less often?

Jeez, I've been on this forum since the very beginning back in the late 90s and I'm, STILL learning new stuff like.. everyday.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:09 am

Dave

Traditional packing drips about one per second to lubricate the shaft. If it leaks too much, you loosen the lock nut an tighten the packing nut. This may be as little as 1/4 to 1/2 turn. When you can no longer do this you need new packing.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Fair Dinkum

Postby Fair Dinkum » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi all just an update on the mounting. I purchased some 120 x 120 dressed merbau hardwood and after 15 or 20 attemps for modifications i have finally epoxyed them in. I have anothe coat to finish them and some more epoxy to go, but I was excited by the results. they are m10 stainless bolts you can see. I test fitted the engine, the couplings go together by hand. I'm sure there will need to be some adjustments, but pretty close for now.
Attachments
20161120_130035.jpg

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Dave

Traditional packing drips about one per second to lubricate the shaft. If it leaks too much, you loosen the lock nut an tighten the packing nut. This may be as little as 1/4 to 1/2 turn. When you can no longer do this you need new packing.

Bill

I sure missed that when you first posted it. That's great to know and I have to admit that I did NOT know this before. Thanks

Return to “Power Boats”