Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

speedracer

Re: Monaco Restart

Post by speedracer »

That is what I kind of thought as well. I was just wondering if anyone ever weighed the finished product.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Engine Shopping - I have been looking at engines and found a prime candidate but am concerned over the height. At a 15 degree prop shaft angle the diagram indicates the height to be 26 1/2" from the motor mounts to the top of the riser. After measuring the boat (upside down of course) that appears to be close or will not fit. Depth of the engine below the motor mounts is 8", which is about what I have so I really can't plan to set the motor mounts below the top of the stringers.

If anyone has measurements that they used or know the amount of height I should have from the top of the stringers to the underside of the engine cover, that would be of enormous help to me. Or any advice would also be greatly appreciated.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

speedracer
I used the "Speed Rudder" because in the GL cattledog I saw "Cruise Rudder" and "Speed Rudder" and thought that's the one for me. It works well with Ricks advice on the skid fin and it's location. My boat was weighed, mainly to establish C of G for the location of the trailer axles. The operational weight less fuel is 950kg. My engine however is 140 kg lighter than a 350 Chev based unit. Though 100hp less too.
Attachments
DSCF6192 (800x600).jpg

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Finished the hull wood. Let the sanding begin. Hope this is what it’s supposed to look like at this point. I am dreading cutting into the hull for the shafts, water pickup, drains, etc.
Attachments
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Looks great!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Looks really good Chris! Drilling those hole is a stressful, but necessary operation! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Thanks guys. I went to our local wooden boat festival recently in Madisonville, LA. I had hoped to be there next year but lots of work to complete. Wow - I wanted a complicated, long term project. Be careful of what you ask for. LOL. Chris.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Hey SpeedRacer, I was there with my boat (but only on Saturday). Butch Barto was also there. Did we meet by chance, it's always good to meet other Glen-L forum members and put a face with a name.

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

We probably didn't meet but maybe saw each other. I only met a guy with an old Chris Craft he had purchased refurbished. He was near the bridge, downriver side of the road. I think his name was Paul. Talked with another fellow who had his boat in the water near the same location. Where were you located and with what boat?

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Today was a minor milestone – drilled the prop shaft hole.

I first made a full size drawing and adjusted the locations of all the components until I was satisfied all was correct. Thanks to Skip for all of his direct help and to others that I researched. I then inset the strut slightly less than the 16 degrees planned originally planned for. I set the top and bottom blocks in the proper locations to accept the bit.

For the drill extension I purchased a 5/8” rod 48” long. I milled down one end to ½” and threaded it for a drill chuck I had lying around. I used some plastic pipe fittings to fill the gap in the strut since it is made to accept an 1 1/8” prop shaft. That was the weakest point so I had to tape them to keep them from moving around.

I wanted the hole 1 ¾” and started with a hole saw. I soon realized this wasn’t going to work very far into the hole but I didn’t want to use my good set of Forstner bits due to screws I would surely hit. I ended up using three types of bits. I first drilled as far as possible with the hole saw which would cut any screws on the perimeter. I didn’t care if or how many screws I hit since those are cheap. I then changed to a 1 ¼” spade bit to remove most of the wood in the center. Finally I used the Forstner bit to remove what was left. I could make about1 ½” depth per cycle so the whole process went pretty fast – maybe finished in 3 hours or so taking my time.

The lower end of the hole (inside the hull) ended up a little starboard of center so I guess I will route some wood out of the way so there is plenty of room for the shaft. Anyone have this issue and what did you do? Anyway attached are some photos of the process. All holes are now done so the next step is to finish the hull.

Thanks again to all.
Attachments
Full size rendering of the layout.
Full size rendering of the layout.
Rig is ready to go.
Rig is ready to go.
Start.
Start.

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

More pics of the prop shaft drilling. Not sure why I can't post more than 3 at a time.
Attachments
About half way done.
About half way done.
Hole is done.
Hole is done.
Looking down the shaft line at the completed hole.
Looking down the shaft line at the completed hole.

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Great progress photos, Chris. Unfortunately, the way the forum is set up, 3 photos is the limit per post. Not sure why. Others have gotten around the issue by creating a file with more than 3 photos in it and then posting that file. When I drilled my shaft hole, it veered off a little also. I used sanding drums to move it over a little and to make the fiberglass tube fit properly. Then I sealed the fiberglass tube where it penetrated the keel inside the hull with tape and poured epoxy between the tube and the hole to fill any voids. Great job on getting that difficult task done. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Thanks for the kind words. The method of sanding drum and filling the gaps was the process I was going to use. I'm glad to be moving on to a new stage of construction.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Chris

I've post as many as 6 pictures at a time. The limit is on the total file size of the post. 10-12 MP pictures will limit you to 3 pictures. Set the camera to 6 MP and you can post 5 or 6 pictures. Very few pictures are going to be printed large format. 4-8 MP will fill most computer screens.

Great job on the boat!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kenedy

Post by kenedy »

what all I want to say that you need to follow sscobra's comment as he shared above...
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Return to “Power Boats”