Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

speedracer

Re: Monaco Restart

Postby speedracer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:18 am

I did some research and also visited another builder who did the 100% wood method. He had no issues so I decided to go that way. I think a lot of information that is out there (especially from Glen-L) is based on old products which did not do a good job of sealing and protecting surfaces. Like most things today everything is very high tech and, while much more expensive, are superior products than what was available long ago. I also think most of these designs expected the boats to stay floating in the elements an entire season or more. Down here we trailer our boats where they live under a cover or are fully enclosed, 99% of the time. Most of my buddies have their nice boats in a climate controlled storage facility!

Thanks Hoodman.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:47 am

Here is a picture on the forum of what I was envisioning might happen: Separating Wood

There is a discussion a few posts north in that thread as well.

Either way your boat looks really great!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 pm

You will not have any problems if the wood is fully encapsulated. If there is any doubt there would be problems look at the laminates applied to the sides and transom as these are not caulked. My Monaco is now 5 years old and I live in an environment the same as Miami, salt water and all and the bright work is the same as when new.
Attachments
IMG_6893 (1024x768).jpg

Return to “Power Boats”