Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

speedracer

Re: Monaco Restart

Post by speedracer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 am

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Yes, that had to be us. We were fueling up to take it out a second time. Small world.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 am

Finally got a chance to watch the video, $@#@$! firewall at work. That looks and sounds awesome!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

speedracer

Post by speedracer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks JimmY.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

nybhh

Post by nybhh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:33 pm

I just found this thread I was googling around for boat designs and ended up reading the entire thing. I signed up simply so I could post and tell you that has to be the most beautiful (insert your favorite expletive here) thing I have ever laid eyes on!

I’m simply speechless.

I’m a hobby woodworker and building a boat has always been something I’ve had in the back of my head for probably the past 25 years or sobut it was always too far down the priority list.

You may have changed that. If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any idea how many hundreds or thousands of hours you have in this? Is this a doable 1,000 hour project or am I not even close and need to apologize profusely for insulting you?

Damn that thing is sexy!!!
-Brandon

tysman52

Post by tysman52 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Strong work!
Looks great! Congrats!

JT

speedracer

Post by speedracer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Nybhh,

Thanks for the kinds words. I’ve had the boat out a few times working out the bugs - which were few and minor considering this was built from scratch. My biggest was not sealing the drain plugs. I think I must have test fitted them and never went back to seal them. Some water came in on the first runs but that was fixed.

I kept detailed records of everything including parts, costs, and of course, time. I logged 1,222 man-hours. That doesn’t seem like much but that doesn’t include research, picking up materials, purchasing, forum time, hunting for parts, etc. It was probably triple that. I’m still working pretty much full time so this was all done after hours and weekends. I blew my original budget by 20% but only because I upgraded things such as a new engine instead of a used one. Added some bells and whistles along the way too.

I read your original thread started on 9/6/18. My only regret, and it’s really not a regret, is that I wish I had chosen a model with more passenger space. If I had to do it again, I would choose the 23’ Tahoe and join the front cockpits together. I would put two bucket seats forward so you could walk through to the second bench seat. The rear cockpit would be behind the engine with a bench seat. I would also lengthen it 8% to 10% as allowed because the rear cockpit and engine compartment is too small to suit me. I got the strangest look from my wife when I mentioned in passing about the “next one I build”. I would have to sell my Monaco before thinking of that which I would not want to do for awhile (unless someone came along with the right money). Anyway it is a great feeling of satisfaction when you’re done. It takes quite awhile to fuel up having to talk to half a dozen people each time.

Hope this helped in some way.

Thanks tysman52 for your comment.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Really looking forward to seeing you and the boat at Madisonville. :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Power Boats”