Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

speedracer

Re: Monaco Restart

Post by speedracer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Anybody know if Glen-L closed? I ordered some Poxy-Shield about 3 weeks ago. Never got it so I sent an e-mail on the 15th. Never got a reply.

Thanks.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pm

That's strange, i ordered poxy grip about nine days ago and got it in the mail a couple days later, did you provide an email address when you ordered? They always send a confimation email with ups tracking number when it ships. (Almost always the next day) I'm sure if something fell through the cracks they will make it right.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

speedracer

Post by speedracer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 am

Yes. I got the confirmation with the number. I'll send another e-mail today. Thanks.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

speedracer

Post by speedracer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Finally finished the narrow finish boards. Here are a few pics. The lumber yard is cutting the wider, long ones which should be finished tomorrow. Once I get them, I'll begin installing them.
Attachments
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6778.JPG
IMG_6779.JPG

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 pm

That looks great!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Very Very Nice! I Didn't see the pictures of your dash till now, you did a really good job on it!

Where did you get the steering wheel? I am looking for one like that for my restoration.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

speedracer

Post by speedracer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:23 am

The steering wheel came from First Choice Marine. Uflex V26.

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Very nice! It looks as though each narrow strips is attached to a mahogany strip. Did you glue light and dark lumber together and then slice the lumber? What are you using for the light strips?

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Tom

Yes, that is how you do it. All the wood is run through a sizer. Then you glue them together and rip them. Don't think you can put all those narrow strips together.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm

I thought the white strips were really caulk; is this a different method?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Jim

There are several methods. This is alternating woods. You glue a thin piece of wood to the thick piece. Then cut your planking from the combined piece.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Very nice, Chris! Can't wait to see it finished. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

speedracer

Post by speedracer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks Skip.

The caulk intimidated me so I decided to use all wood - no caulk. I get the lumber in 7/8" thickness so I ripped the Mahogany to 2 3/4" width. Then I glued a random width piece of Maple to it. Then I ripped the whole piece to a finished 3" in width (the Maple is now 1/4" thick). Then I re-sawed the piece into 3 slabs about 6 mm thick with the band-saw. Then I ran the pieces through the planner down to 4 mm finished thickness.

It was time consuming but looks good. About 4 pieces were ripped apart in the planner where the Mahogany grain ran cross ways instead of length ways. Other than having to remake those pieces and the slowness of the re-sawing operation, it went OK.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Thank you for the explanation on how you did it. I think that I would be worried about wood movement. The wood looks like it may be flatsawn as well with has the most movement with Quartersawn having the least.The force of wood expanding is VERY strong; back in the day this is how stone was cut by driving a wooden spike into a hole, soaking the wood and the force of the wood expanding actually breaks the stone.I hypothesize that the purpose of the caulk is to provide room for expansion and contraction of the planks. I have seen some furniture which has exploded when this was not taken into account (i.e. frame and panel construction where the panel was glued to the styles and rails). I would imagine that you might end up with some buckling or gaps showing between the various pieces over time as they expand or contract as the moisture content changes. Maybe I am being chicken little here and there is nothing to worry about? I may have to go break out my Glen-L Book to see what he says on the topic; perhaps I am being overly cautious.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 am

Wow! That looks really nice! Great job!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”