Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: Monaco Restart

Postby Milhouse » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am

Looks really great! I dig the book matched planking.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Richie M

Postby Richie M » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 pm

What a good looking deck, great choice of wood, clearly put together really well and the finish looks top class, well done.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 am

Fantastic Work, Chris! You'll be on the water soon!

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am

What Method did you use to clamp the planking down while gluing? I am wondering if the bricks that are the floor are what you used to set on top of the planks; perhaps they have now been re-purposed as stepstools :D

Did you use Epoxy or another adhesive?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I’ll try to respond to all questions.

Except for the dark pieces, all of the wood have just clear coats – no stain. On the dark pieces I used some Dark Walnut stain I had around the shop. I wanted them almost black. I picked out the coaming pieces special because I wanted them as light as possible. I also went with the wood coamings so I wouldn’t have to leave the boat with an upholster. I didn’t like them at first but have grown to really like the look.

All wood is Mahogany except for the white strips which is Maple. The Mahogany around here can vary quite a bit especially if purchased over a long period of time as I did. If I ever build another one, I would know how much I need in total and purchase it all at once. I used epoxy for all.

The top planking was attached using different methods depending on the location. I either blocked it against the ceiling with wedges or used heavy weights. I used the blocks and bricks at first but found them to be too rough and dirty. Chunks of steel worked best. Dense and clean. I wish I had attached the side planking differently. I used staples through rope. I never could get the staple holes to close and gave up. Upon close inspection you can see the holes. Live and learn, I guess. BayouBengal attached his side planking using an ingenious method which I would try on the next one.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 pm

A few progress photos. Not sure why the first two look dark. The third is more like it.

Engine hatch on along with most of the deck hardware. Sending the seats out for upholstering soon. I have to get serious looking for the windshield parts and prop.
Attachments
IMG_7486.JPG
IMG_7487.JPG
IMG_7489.JPG
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Looking really nice, Chris! Great work.
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:11 am

Another work of art and passion!

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 am

Looks amazing!
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:23 am

Absolutely stunning!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Can't wait to see you on the Tchefuncte.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Beautiful!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Shouldn't be long now. Working on the lifting plan to get it on the trailer.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 pm

I must get serious and purchase my prop. I had just about decided to get the same prop that Skip and Dave Lott used – OJ428 [13x15.5] but I think I heard someplace that the prop tip should not be closer than 2” to the hull. I’m not sure if that’s correct or not. Regardless, attached is a photo of the distance from center line of the shaft to the hull on my Monaco – 7” near the strut and 8 ¼” at the shaft end. If the 2” clearance is correct, I am certainly depressed that the 13” wouldn’t be suggested. My shaft is 1- 1/8” diameter.

Does anyone experienced with this subject have any suggestions on what I should get? At $500 per prop, I really need to get the right one the first time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_7533.JPG

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:24 am

Chris, give this guy a call - http://www.bospropeller.com/. Not positive that he can give you the same deal as he did me because your prop is more specialized than the standard outdrive prop like mine, but I'm pretty sure he can because he did have a few used large brass props in his shop.

The deal he made with me was that he'd take a look at my boat, recommend a prop size, and sell me a used one. Then give me full credit on swapping out to other used props he had at his shop until I found the size I liked.

Almost a year later I speed tested the boat at the Gathering with VuPilot and Hercdrvr; they both suggested I decrease the pitch because I wasn't running at full rated engine RPM at the top end. I wasn't sure that Bo would change it out being that so much time had elapsed, but sure enough he did for full credit just like he stated he would.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 am

Chris

Your prop should be about 1" back from the strut. My clearance on the Tahoe is 1 1/2" with a 13" prop.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”