Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

speedracer

Re: Monaco Restart

Postby speedracer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks Bill. Understood.

Bayou Bengal - Thanks for the local tip for props. I just sent Bo an e-mail with the specifics of my boat. After his review and we talk, I'll take a ride to see him and see what's up. Your recommendation of them for swapping props is certainly great news. I'll report back.

Seats will be at the upholsterers today. GETTING CLOSE TO LAUNCH TIME!!
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 am

GETTING CLOSE TO LAUNCH TIME!!

If onlookers are welcome, I'd enjoy coming out and seeing the launch.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 am

I really like how you did the cowl around the gauge cluster and the scoop for the engine compartment. Now that it's all finished it really gives the boat a unique racy look. I actually think it looks great even without the windshield.

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 am

I am with BayouBengal on this one. Will be hard to wait till Wooden Boat Fest to see it in person!
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Bayou Bengal & NAMEngJS – I’ll let you know of the launch date. I’m thinking of doing a “soft” launch in case there’s a major fail only I’ll know about it. It that cheating?

Hoodman – I’ve attached some pics of the gauge bump and engine scoop. [3 in this post, 1 in the next post]

I cut a place in the dash piece for the deck wood to sit in. It was 8 mm deep – enough for one plywood and one finish wood layer. The bump over the gauges was made similar except I used thicker pieces since I had to sand down the edges of each layer. It was quite a lot of work but I like to do things different than normal. Same with the frame of the engine scoop. I did the scoop first not thinking that I could fashion big curves so it came out too angular than I wanted. After I finished the gauge bump, I realized I could have made the scoop much better. Someone did the sickest scoop I’ve ever seen. I kept a photo of it but can’t remember whos boat it was. Maybe one day when I have nothing to do, I’ll re-do the engine cover. I never thought of going without a windshield. That would save me a grand – at least. LOL.
Attachments
IMG_5169.JPG
IMG_6205.JPG
IMG_4548.JPG
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:14 pm

hoodman - Here is the other photo of the gauge bump first layer of plywood.
Attachments
IMG_6165.JPG

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 pm

That sure is intricate! If you do go without a windshield even temporarily you'll probably want some goggles or something. You don't want to get a bug in your eye at 50 mph.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Yes, it was a lot of work. I will be putting a windshield for that reason. Lots of bugs down here. I ordered the prop this morning from a local expert so launch is getting close.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 pm

I had purchased a trailer about 8 months ago on a whim at a super price, hoping it would fit the Monaco. Today was the first test fit and surprisingly it fits pretty good. Will have to do a few modifications for the prop and rudder, of course. It was pretty nerve racking lifting her completely from the cradle where she's been sitting for months.
Attachments
IMG_7771.JPG
IMG_7772.JPG
IMG_7773.JPG

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Looking great! Yeah, when you pull that boat up and snatch out the cradles, the pucker factor really does go up!

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:26 pm

looking great :D

tysman52

Postby tysman52 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Looks great! I did a water test also ... easier to fix issues without a deck...
JT

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Took the family to Italy [Venice, Florence, Piza & Rome] for 10 days so progress came to a halt. Since back I’ve finish all of the welding and painting work on the trailer. Finished re-fitting everything today. Took it for a test ride but had some vibration. Going to get the wheels balanced which should take care of it.

Seats are back from the upholsterer. Received the windshield parts while I was gone. They have been sent out for chroming.

I have finished the cutwater except for final buffing. Came out pretty good (not perfect) for never dealing with SS before. Will post some photos when it’s done.

My goal to launch sometime in July. We’ll see.
Attachments
IMG_8568.JPG
IMG_8569.JPG
IMG_8572.JPG

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Some more pics of the trailer.
Attachments
IMG_8570.JPG
IMG_8567.JPG

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Top work on the trailer. You're almost there!

Return to “Power Boats”