Monaco Restart

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hurra912

Re: Monaco Restart

Postby Hurra912 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Great thread! Definitely going to follow.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:02 am

I am trying to figure out how to get the bow plate made. No one around here could handle such a task. I was wondering if anyone knows of a firm that might fabricate these if a wood or fiberglass pattern were sent to them.

I also posted this request in the "Material - Metal" section of the forum.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Chris.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:27 am

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:35 am

Many people get these made by Mike the Cutwater Guy - http://www.cutwaters.com/

He has videos on his site that show you the pattern he needs and how to order one, and from there it's not too hard to decipher how to make one. My brother and I made mine. There's a fair amount of work in it and so I can assure you that if you could get one made by Mike, for what he charges, it's well worth just paying him to do it. However, there's a catch, he'll not make your cutwater if you have a bow eye.

If you don't want to make it yourself and Mike won't make it, I suggest that you look for a local street rod builder/fabricator.

If you're cutwater shopping, you must be getting close. Looking forward to seeing you on the water.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 am

Just installed my cut-water from Mike Sunday. Fit perfectly.
I sent him the patterns (from his videos) and then picked up the parts (I only live about an hour away from him) a few weeks later.

Highly recommended!

Craig

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 am

Mike does a Great Job and his cost is very reasonable. He made the cutwater for the Torpedo and the Zip for me as well as the transom bands for the Zip. I think he can make most anything out of Stainless for you. Nice guy to work with and very conscientious.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Attachments
final assembly 014.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:12 pm

So many helpful responses - thanks so much.

I took a quick look at Mike's youtube videos and the process he has outlined to send him a pattern looks fool proof. Although I may prove that wrong. Anyway, that looks like the way to go except I am a little concerned that there can be no bow eye. I am used to using that to finish loading the boat at most launches and keep it tied down to the trailer after loading. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Roberta - Your cutwater is just what I want - not too pronounced and flared at the top.

Bayou Bengal - I am not really that close, just thinking ahead. I have finished the wiring and everything works including the engine turning over. The family thinks I can make the Madisonville wooden boat festival in October but I can't finish it in 3 months. I will surely make next years, LOL.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Look what Josh is doing on his boat regarding the cutwater and the bow eye. Really neat.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27058
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:37 pm

If you install a true lifting eye with your winch setup high, you do not need a bow eye. This is how the original boats were setup. Just me, but I would not put a bow eye through a cutwater.

Rich

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 am

Understood concerning a true lifting eye. My boat is not going to follow the original designs or finishes so adding a bow eye will not detract from it but I haven't decided 100% on the bow eye either way. I did take a look at what Josh did with his. Very nice.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Good evening. I haven’t posted in a while so I thought I would update my forum string.

Got 98% of the wiring complete now with no mistakes. Lights, blower, bilges, etc all work. I couldn’t keep my fingers off the key so I tried to turn the engine over. Dead - nothing. Everything looked right so I went to the engine manual. First thing it said to check – “Make sure the transmission is in neutral”. It wasn’t. I put it in neutral and she turned over immediately. What an awesome feeling. I felt like Dr. Frankenstein.

Seat are now 95% complete. I’m not sure I’ve got them built correctly to accept the upholstery around the cockpit edges (I’m sure there’s a name for that) so I’ll have to study on that before getting to that step. I noticed the boat (Innocence) built by Butch has wood around the cockpit edges. I kind of like that look but haven’t decided. One up side to that design is that the seats may be able to go out to the upholsterer without the boat going too. For the seats I’ve decided upon 3” and 2” foam for the bottoms and backs respectively based on other’s advice.

Completed the ceilings except for a few coats of finish.

Also completed the throttle/shifter with the cables. I had ran most of the electrical wire and steering hydraulic lines right where the controller had to go. Luckily I had enough slack to re-route everything hirer in the side wall so it worked out very nicely. The installation of the throttle/shifter was quite labor intensive. Lot of cutting trial fitting, cutting, trial fitting, cardboard patterns, etc. I ended up making a steel mount for it which makes it very firm. I’m very satisfied with the location and smooth action of the unit.

The dash with the gauges and switches is finished except for final attachment to the boat.

I had a great visit with Bayou Bengal a week or so ago. He was kind enough to give me his left over piece of SS for me to use on my boat for the cutwater and such. We talked for quite a while and he gave me a tour of his boat. It was super nice so I asked him who designed it was. He said it was a “Jeff” design. I didn’t catch what he said or the joke at first. After being impressed with the boat I asked again. As it turns out, he did probably 90% of the design himself! The boat is quite impressive. Hats off to you Bayou Bengal and thanks for the tour.

Still plenty of work to do but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Enjoy the photos and thanks again to everyone on the forum.
Attachments
IMG_4700.JPG
Front seat with completed contol
IMG_4683.JPG
Complete control before ceiling
IMG_4694.JPG
Dash board with gauges

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Some more photos.
Attachments
IMG_4552.JPG
SS thanks to Bayou Bengal
IMG_4548.JPG
Engine hatch with scoop
IMG_4687.JPG
Overhead view of the engine compartment

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm

More photos.
Attachments
IMG_4695.JPG
Over all view from bow position
IMG_4696.JPG
Over all view from aft position

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 am

Looking great! Can't wait to see it at the Wooden Boat Festival. Not to add a deadline for you :wink:
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:29 am

All very neat and professional looking, and congrats on the engine turn; that is always exciting. Look forward to seeing your decking with the engine scoop and I suppose some additional type of elevation change to accommodate your speedometer and tach.

Return to “Power Boats”