Outside build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Lower

Outside build

Postby Lower » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:16 pm

So I'm wanting to build the malahini and I'm running into the problem of having enough room to build inside. I keep reading about outside builds so are there any thoughts on this? I've read where many people have successfully built outside totally and others with roof shelter only. Can you guys give me some thoughts and maybe experiences of building outside? I really don't want to rent something for two years + to build. I'm in southern Indiana so typical 4 seasons with typical mild winters.
My build, "the drunk drifter" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29796

vupilot

Re: Outside build

Postby vupilot » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Many have built in carports, tents, and covered porches.
Its not uncommon.
If you can keep it covered by some means by a roof and keep the sun and moisture off it, even if thats just a carport or similar structure I think youd be just fine. Youll have hurdles, like waiting for the right weather to fiberglass and paint and many others but many have done this before.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:35 pm

I built a Squirt under a combination of a lean-too and carport. You can do it, but there are challenges and it can be a pain in the a$$ at times. You'll definitely need some tarps to more tightly cover the build even if you have an lean-too or carport to build under. But if you really want to build a boat, I say go for it; it's certainly not an impossibility and it won't stop you from building a high quality boat, it just makes it more of a challenge, and once again, at times a pain in the a$$.

I'm down south in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, so no snow problems like in southern Indiana; but even here I still made sure that I encapsulated everything as soon as possible. In winter here which is at least 15 degrees warmer than where you are, when I couldn't encapsulate, I would cover the boat with a tight tarp and run a small electric heater underneath until encapsulated. You'll definitely want to do this in southern Indiana.

By the way, my dad was from southern Indiana and I still have a lot of relatives there in the Bedford/Oolitic area. Is this close to where you're at?

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:01 am

I'm building a Flat's Flyer almost completely outside. I did make the frames, stem, knee, and breasthook inside then set up my building frame outside. Make sure you encapsulate your frames completely. Don't worry about the surfaces that will be epoxied to another member later, most likely you'll fair off those surfaces to clear wood later. And hold off on cutting your notches for battens, chine, and shear until you install those pieces. I picked up a sheet of heavy plastic and a cheap boat cover to keep it dry when I wasn't working on it. I also picked up one of those inexpensive 10x10 pop up shelters from WalMart to provide shade while working on it. Plan on using slow epoxy for all construction, the heating of the sun will reduce your working times considerably.
Painting was also a bit of a PITA, from having good weather, to watching for debris or dust settling on the finish. Fortunately my build is more a work boat so I wasn't too picky about a glass finish, but I was able to get a finish that far exceeded my expectations.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

galamb

Postby galamb » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:12 pm

I built my (almost) 26 footer in one of those "garage in a box" things - basically the tarp tent on the metal pole frames.

I used it in Eastern Ontario over a period of about 17 months (time to build).

Was it "adequate"?, have to say yes because it worked.

Was it ideal? No - even though it did "cover" the build you have zero climate control ability. It was impractical to heat or dehumidify. When it was windy it also presented a challenge and the rain always seemed to find a way in especially if it was a blowing rain. In the winter I had to keep the snow knocked off etc. Then in the later season when the temperatures were starting to dip I either couldn't use epoxy (no way to heat) or I had to adapt and use a super fast hardener (and they actually do set-up down into the 40 degree range, just take really long to cure up properly - again, adds "time" to things).

Also, my bench tools (and portables for that matter) we somewhat "remote" - ok, only 20' to my garage, but a lot of walking back and forth or alternately, setting them up in the back yard - and you know the soon as you get all set up the clouds and rain would roll in :)

Would I use that method again - absolutely not - too much downside.

But it was my only option - I didn't have an indoor 12X30 space that could be used.

So can it be done - absolutely. Will it add time and inconvenience to your build - yes it will.

If I had my time back, with the experience of that build, I would have built a more solid, semi-permanent enclosure "first". Even a car port could have been "jury rigged" with rigid sides (plywood sheets) that would have extended the building season and left it far less susceptible to the elements.

Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Lower

Postby Lower » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Bayobengal: yea been there many time when I was younger. There was a pretty good size church school that used to play us in softball in Bedford. It's bout 1:30 north I believe.

Well I have a good place picked out and I think I'll take every ones advice. Seems like it can be done but may make my temporary shelter a little more permanent or sturdy. I think I'll do what you guys suggested and build what I can in comfort of my shed. I'm excited to pull the trigger on these plans. Honestly I know everyone prob says this but I am hopin to be able to build it to trailer stage in around a year...we'll see though lol

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Excellent!

In my opinion, boatbuilding for most of us is all about stick-to-idness and resolve, and not so much about having a great shop, or great tools, or even great skills. If you have the resolve and determination to build a boat, a fine wooden boat you shall have, sir. Look forward to following your build.

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:19 am

Go for it!

And I'll second Graham's comment on walking back and forth from the workshop to the building area. It was about 40 feet for me and took time away from the build, not to mention a well worn path through the grass.

Make sure you post lots of progress updates and maybe it will remind me of other issues that came up as you move along.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Lower

Postby Lower » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks for the encouragement tcough! I ll prob go ahead with the plans this week! Gettin excited!

Lower

Postby Lower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:03 am

Hey just real quick, I don't have the plans for the malahini yet but does anyone know what kind of white oak is called for? Found 4/4 boards for under $3 bf but I honestly don't know which is what as far as quarter sawn and such. Really never had to know that stuff. I do have planer and table saw and such

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:52 am

I did not use quarter sawn white oak for my frames, chine, etc.
I just bought clean, straight 4/4 lumber (actual thickness 13/16") from a hardwood supplier. It worked out just fine.
I used this for all frames, battens, and chine. The sheer is two thinner laminations, so that I planed.
I was also able to get a 13' piece for the keel, but had to order it.

Lower

Postby Lower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 am

Is $3 relatively a decent price? Seen some for round $5.25 bf

Lower

Postby Lower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am

And difference between 8/4 and 4/4?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 am

8/4 is 2" thick. 4/4 is 1" thick.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lower

Postby Lower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 am

Ok makes sense

Return to “Power Boats”