Outside build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

rbrandenstein

Re: Outside build

Postby rbrandenstein » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 am

I paid just under $3 BF for white oak, but that was 5 years ago.
In the overall build, the price for the framing material is a small fraction of the total. I purchased 113BF of oak. A few dollars more for mahogany would only increase the cost of the build by a few hundred dollars.
FYI, the 4/4 is the rough cut dimension. If the lumber is planed, it will either be 3/4" or 13/16" .

Lower

Postby Lower » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:48 pm

And 3/4 is acceptable I'm assuming?
My build, "the drunk drifter" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29796

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:39 am

Yes, except for the sheer, which I recall is two laminations of 5/8". That I planed to the specified dimension.
Some builders also use two laminations for the chine which makes it easier to bend.

Lower

Re: Outside build (The drunk drifter)

Postby Lower » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Well I received the plans for my malahini in the mail and have been offered a small workspace next to which will be my outside build. I wish I had a place to build it all inside but I think I have it all worked out. Moved my tools in today and am trying to nail down some people who sell oak...

Lower

Postby Lower » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:50 pm

I keep finding different opinions on plain vs quarter dawn oak...what's everyone advice, I seen where bob used plain sawn, anyone else?

Brandlin

Postby Brandlin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 am

The single biggest difference between quarter sawn and slab cut lumber is that the quarter sawn has a tendency to cup and twist less.

This can be quite critical on things like guitar necks where straightness is essential and a significant amount of wood is removed through shaping.

Lumber cups and warps for two reasons. As it dries and if significant portions of it are cut away, this can release tension in the wood allowing it to move. Cutting away is worse if you're shaping complex shapes such as a guitar neck curves.

Im not a seasoned boat builder, but If the lumber you are buying is properly seasoned (air or kiln dried) then you shouldn't have problems. The boat frames aren't particularly complex shapes and when skinned there is a large amount of connection and support.

Lower

Postby Lower » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks for the input! I finally sourced a place for quarter sawn that might be closer and work out better. It's never been a problem getting white oak down here but everyone says their stockpiles have taken huge hits. paying a little more than I wanted $5.25 bf but it's 20 min away. Can't complain too much. They also will plane for .30 c foot

Lower

Postby Lower » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:12 pm

So can I join two pieces wood together to get right widths for the frame members?

Return to “Power Boats”