Geronimo's Dashboard

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Geronimo's Dashboard

Postby bobinpowayca » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Howdy, I'm getting ready to put the dash beam in my Geronimo. I want to get that, and the strongback completed in the next month - I'm going to schedule my shoulder joint replacement in September so this will be a stopping point for at least a few months as far as working on the boat while I recuperate.
This being my first motorboat I'm not sure yet what kind of gauges and steering mechanism is going into the dash - I know the best thing is to have that figured out first, and cut all the holes in the dash before it's mounted. But since I'll have this long break I want to go ahead and get the dash and strongback in while I can, then I can research the instrumentation and steering while I'm recovering.
The instructions say to arch the crown the same curve as the #5 deck beam, but to "vary the contour to suit the desires of the individual". This dash goes in between the carlings a foot behind the #5 beam. Right now I'm thinking to cut the lower edge of the dash to the same depth as the lower edge of the carlings, and a straight line across for the bottom edge. Some pictures I've seen the lower edge of the dash is lower than the bottom of the carlings, some dashes are curved below the speedometer, etc.
I'm interested in seeing how some of you with similar boats have built your dash beams to get some ideas. Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_0705.JPG
next comes the dash beam & strongback!
Bob

neel thompson

Re: Geronimo's Dashboard

Postby neel thompson » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Bob,,, Here is a picture of my dash... It is all mahogany and the center piece (where the instruments go) is removable, making very easy to wire everything. You can see the circle drawn where the steering will go (Teleflex NFB). You can see that it really doesn't have to be as tall as my dash is.
Attachments
007.JPG
006.JPG

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:29 pm

For what it's worth

I built a ZIP, and one frame is the dash - how one is to know their final dash design when building frames at the get go beats me.

Anywho - I just made my dash frame extra big and cut it to suit later. In the photo the dash frame was originally full depth/height all the way across, I eventually trimmed some.
Attachments
image.jpeg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Bob,
Here is picture of my Malahini dash. While you can't see it, the ends are a bit longer than the carlings. Like Neel, the opening holds a removeable maple panel for all the gauges and some switches. To get all the bits in I extended the dash a bit lower in the center section.
IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Here is a pic of the dash in my Zip, it matches the height where it meets the carlings and dips down in the center to add room for my gauges, i tried to keep the overall look of the dash the same as the frame drawn on the plans just taller to accommodate the gauge pattern/design i chose.
Attachments
20160313_191015.jpg
20160608_210839.jpg
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 am

Since I'm not quite at that point yet myself, I can't say for sure but I would think you'd want the bottom contour to dip down some below just a straight line between the carlings. Most of the tachometers are around 2 inches I think. Plus you are going to want plenty of room for that steering system.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks, those are some great looking dashboards. As I said I don't have any idea yet about what instrumentation and steering I'll get but I want to get the dash beam in now so I can completer the strongback, and that will be my stopping point for a while. I suppose I can cut out the holes after it's mounted if I get a small router. So I will make the dash deeper than necessary for now, and trim it later.
My plans show that the after ends of the deck battens notch into the dash beam - I didn't see that on your pictures, did you just butt them into the back of the dash? Also, what are some good sources for the gauges? Maybe I can look at what's available and get a good idea how deep to make the dash. And by the way, does it matter if the steering wheel goes on the port or starboard? Thanks so much for your help! Bob
Bob

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:55 pm

I bought my gauge set from amazon, the sell them for outboard or inboard configurations. My gauges are "Faria" brand, white background with black markings and blue accents, stainless trim ring and bubble glass (convex) the set is beautiful and suprisingly inexpensive, it comes with pitot pickup and tube for the speedo, a quick search on amazon for "marine gauge set" will pull up hundreds of options from many manufacturers, the sky's the limit for options and prices.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Heres a look at what i did for my deck battens, made some little blocks to screw to the backside of the frame then landed on top of them with the battens, my plans also called for notching through the frame however originally my plan was to use that frame as the dash and I didn't want end grain from the batten sticking through so I came up with this solution so that I did not have To Notch the frame, there is another Zip Builder that did the exact same thing and I copied his idea.
Attachments
20150920_145301.jpg

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Hey thanks a lot Joshuab!
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi gdcarpenter, where did you get your windshiels? Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:26 pm

How do these gauges, e.g. the Faria two inch and four inch gauges, mount into the wood? Did you guys use a hole saw to cut out the opening? I'm wondering if you can get a hole saw the exact size of the opening required for the gauges. Do they just press in or is it a permanent install? Maybe if they remove easily I could get away without having a separate panel for them, as far as accessibility to the wiring later on? Bob
Bob

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:14 pm

To cut the holes I used what is known as an adjustable Circle cutter you can see it in the top picture they sell them in two different sizes I bought the smaller of the two because there were other holes that I could drill using this instead of buying 4 different hole saws, I was able to make all of my holes with one adjustable Circle cutter, another nice feature of this is you can make the hole an exact fit for the particular gauge regardless of the size of gauge instead of getting a hole saw that's kind of close to working and having your gauge A little sloppy in the hole by having an adjustable cutter you can make the hole to fit the gauge perfect they are also not very expensive this one ran me $17.

As for mounting the gauges the second picture you can see a black plastic ring that bolts with brass nuts to the studs on the back side of each gauge this black plastic ring slips over the studs and the stainless bezel on the face of the gauge is larger than the hole you cut for the gauge to go through so in effect when you tighten down the little brass nuts on the black plastic part it pinches the gauge between the black plastic and the stainless bezel to hold it in the dash my dash cluster does not remove, it is permanent and I have had these gauges in and out of the dash several times hope this helps
Attachments
20160730_170710.jpg
20160730_170453.jpg

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Joshuab, thanks a lot for the tip on the "adjustable circle cutter". Did you use this tool with a drill press or were you able to do it with a hand held drill?
I see the advantage in having all the gauges on a removable panel; but also that it would be easier to cut an oval panel and mount it ON the dashboard rather than try to cut an oval hole IN the dashboard and mount it from behind the dash. For me it would be easier to shape the panel on my spindle sander than to try and get a nice oval hole in the dash. Any advice on cutting the oval IN the dash? That would definitely look better than the panel mounted ON the dash. How did you mount it from behind the dash?
As to the hole for the steering wheel - from the pictures it looks like the position is about halfway between the centerline of the dash and the carling, right?
Also, what gauges do you really need for an outboard runabout? I would say the speedometer, fuel gauge and voltmeter for sure, but are the others of any use for an outboard?
Well, I have a lot of questions - I know it would probably be best to buy the gauges and steering before I cut the holes but I was hoping to get the dash in, and the strongback before I have to take a break. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks a lot, Bob
Bob

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:23 am

Bob.... Cutting and finishing the oval hole in the dash is pretty easy. Draw the oval on the dash, drill a hole large enough for a sabre saw blade to go in. Cut slightly inside the line with the sabre saw. After the hole is cut, put the dash oval hole over your spindle sander and sand carefully to the line. Then you can run a "roundover bit" in your router around the hole on the face of the dash. Done !!

Return to “Power Boats”