Geronimo's Dashboard

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gdcarpenter

Re: Geronimo's Dashboard

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 am

Hi, gdcarpenter here,

My windshield came from a 'donor' boat, early 60's "Fabuglass", with a rotted floor/transom. I wound up reducing the height of it about 5" to scale it to the boat.

As for drilling for the gauges in a finished frame I would bite the bulletin and buy a hole saw, those adjustable circle cutters can mess you up in a heartbeat. Most 'large' gauges require a 2 1/8" diameter hole saw, not that pricey.

Personally I feel that a tach is the most important if you want to be able to 'dial in' your prop selection and guard against over revving. Most have a Speedometer to 'balance' out the gauges, but phone GPS is more accurate that a pitot tube style speedometer.

I have an Oldie Goldie engine ('59 Mark 35A) so I tucked my engine water pressure and temperature gauges down low and left together with my voltmeter to safeguard my engine.

I opted for no removeable dash panel and have not had the need to work on them.
Attachments
image.jpeg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Brandlin

Postby Brandlin » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:07 pm

I keep admiring the work of many of the builders here and likewise in this thread.

What amazes me somewhat more is that the skills and techniques I think of as routine as a general woodworker are not common in boatbuilding here.

For example, the hole cutting, ellipse cutting etc I would have done entirely with a router and home made jigs. So much easier and with a more accurate finish than a jigsaw and sander, circle cutter or adjustable cutter.

I do understand that people have favourite tools and are more comfortable with those than anything new and "different" I'm just imtrigued by the differences.

I've been thinking a lot about my own build (still planning) and from what I've seen of the gauges and dash layouts, I think I would design my dash BEFORE I cut my frame. I'd make it extend down in the centre of the console like gdcarpenter shows in his. Have the main dial cluster in an ellipse on a separate panel which is mounted behind, like Joshua's, but recessed into the frame so the instruments are set back, but not at the full depth of the frame member. All of which is straightforwards with a router - it really is your friend!
Last edited by Brandlin on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:24 pm

GD is an awesome builder, his zip is so packed full of cool little details I still find new ones and i have been studying his build for two years, i used his build for alot of my inspiration for my Zip, if he doesn't like the adjustable circle cutter it's for a good reason i am sure of that, he has much more building experience than i do, that is the beauty of this forum, theres more than one way to skin a cat, several times i have found better methods than what i was planning or using while researching on this forum, you have the right idea, ask lots of questions.......josh
8)
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:21 am

Howdy, I'm working on my dashboard - laying out where the steering wheel and gauges will go and was wondering about the locatioan of the hole for the wheel. Probably it will go on the right so I'm thinking exactly halfway between the centerline and the carling? Or doesn't matter. Also, does it matter if the steering wheel is on the left or the right ? Just wondering. Thanks, Bob
Bob

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:04 am

Bob

Which side the helm is on is a function of the prop rotation. Looking from the stern, clockwise prop. rotation puts the helm on the right/starboard side. Starboard is traditional. Before rudders were placed centered on boat, rudders were placed on the right and you guided by the stars. That is because most people are right handed. The left was pulled up to the dock, because you didn't want to damage your "Star Board".

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 pm

I guess that's why the left side is referred to as port as it was always along side the PORT of Call.

NeatO thanks Bill.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks for the history guys. I'm thinking of either an Evinrude e-tec 90 or a Mercury 90 but that decision is months off - guess I'll see which way the props rotate - hopefully the same way because I'm putting the holes in the dash this weekend :D Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:10 am

I think most outboards rotate clockwise unless they are from a pair of twins and one of the twins will rotate counterclockwise?

I was thinking recently about port and starboard. In addition to what you guys have already mentioned, it definitely clears up the ambiguous nature of "right" and "left" on a boat. Right and left depend on which way you are facing. It could become very confusing to a crew of sailors up in the rigging if they started yelling orders right and left instead of port and starboard.

Return to “Power Boats”