Build planning - When/how to chose the engine

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jaykal

Build planning - When/how to chose the engine

Postby jaykal » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi all, I'm starting to do some realistic costing and planning for my first build - as I narrow down my choices between a SkiKing or a 19' Barrelback. (Really thinking it's going to be the Ski King)

I've started to feel comfortable with the initial steps once I start building forms and hull construction, however I haven't found a ton of detail regarding engine choice, planning, and install. I'm not much of a gearhead - and don't know that i have the desire to be :) - I'm expecting to use a local shop to do my engine work for me, but I do have questions about timing of decisions to be made.

Here are my questions in their simplest form - in hopes a discussion brews where appropriate.
1) Do you need to have engine ideas before ever building?
2) If I assume I'm not putting more HP than what's recommended, is there concern I won't be able to "fit" an engine later?
3) I see people drilling shaft holes before they flip the hull... do they already have the engine? (what if something happens and they need a different shaft angle?)
4) How much "wiggle-room" do the Glen L plans allow for engine options? (Maybe there is enough space that this whole topic isn't neccesary?)

Thanks in advance, Jay

Roberta

Re: Build planning - When/how to chose the engine

Postby Roberta » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:28 am

Welcome aboard and happy building.

Most marine engines are pretty standard in the mounting and Glen L designs the boats for typical installations. While it is nice to know what engine you will be using up front, it is not all that necessary. The location of the rudder and strut are part of the design and recommendations are given in the plans as to where they are located and what ones are suitable. The location and angle of the strut will determine where the prop shaft hole is drilled.

There are a lot of threads on the forum showing boat builds and techniques. Ask questions and post pictures.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:32 am

Jay

You won't need the engine until after you flip the hull. It is much easier to install before you do the decking. The problem, if it's new, is you may run the warranty before it ever sees water.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jaykal

Postby jaykal » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:00 am

I figured there had to be some sort of sizing "standard" - as all of the build videos and time-lapse things i've seen, there has never really been an issue with it.

Roberta - cool to know another fellow Wisconsinite - I'm in the Delafield area. Some day when I actually get started making the mess, I'll let you know for sure, and you can come tell me everything I'm doing wrong :)

Bill - I looked at your build pics last night while I was searching around, a nice photo diary!

Thanks,
Jay

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:21 am

Jay

Barry, Gayle's brother, asked me to put that together just for this purpose. When you go through it, it will answer many questions.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:30 am

I be more than happy to help you out.

The Torpedo will be at the Pewaukee Boat Show on the 20th.

jaykal

Postby jaykal » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:34 am

Dang x2
(1) I didn't know there was a boat show going on
(2) I'm going to be in Chicago for the weekend, lol

slug

Postby slug » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:58 am

In my case it would have been nice to at least know the width of the engine mounts BEFORE I installed the stringers, as when built to plans, they were too narrow. Created some problems for install later.
Doug

kens

Postby kens » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:11 am

the width of engine stringers is a standard dimension, so any engine would go in.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

jenko

Postby jenko » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm

The 26'' stringer width is ample for most engines ,I think it is better to have engine early in the build as it makes it easier to plan around it

jaykal

Postby jaykal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:32 am

Honestly, I never even really considered the width, I was thinking mostly about height to be able to make sure you could close a hatch.
In any event, it sounds like there is at least a level of started sizing, so hopefully will work out whenever I get to that point :)

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:21 am

One of the drawings will typically show the suggested engine (usually a small block GM type) and transmission (usually a 71C Velvet drive) and the suggested location based on weight calculations for proper balance. Motor manufacturers provide dimensions for various motor and transmission combinations. Crusader and Mercruiser websites will provide this information. I think Mercruiser provides the most detail and has drawings you could scale and position them on the drawings. Using a Velvet Drive Liberty A down angle transmission can raise the engine up due to the bottom of the transmission being lower than the 71C or 72C. The 72C is longer than the 71C. Glen and Ken have designed the boats around typical installations.

I highly recommend Glen L's "Building with Plywood" and "Inboard Motor Installations" books available through the webstore. They will both be very helpful in explaining many aspects of building.

csaggio

Postby csaggio » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:11 am

Jay,

I live in Muskego and have built the barrelback19 (still have some things to finish up). If you decide on the barrelback, you're more than welcome to stop by and check out my build.

Chris
Attachments
Barrelback19.jpg

jaykal

Postby jaykal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks Chris, that'd be amazing.
I just added you as a friend, so I don't lose track of you.

Do you keep it in the water, or trailer it, would actually love to see it out of the water :)
Jay

csaggio

Postby csaggio » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 am

I keep it out of the water. That picture is from last weekend up north.

Return to “Power Boats”