Build planning - When/how to chose the engine

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

FFRCOBRA

Re: Build planning - When/how to chose the engine

Postby FFRCOBRA » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm building the Belle Isle down in the Chicago suburbs. Once completed next summer it will live up in Wisconsin on Lake Koshkanong. You're more than welcome to come see it then....but it's a year away.
Until then, here is my build thread. I have a lot more done since the last update. Will hopefully be starting the engine over the next few weeks.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25637
Craig

jaykal

Postby jaykal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:07 pm

That sounds good Craig.
I occasionally head to Chicago for a weekend get away as well. If I happen down that way this fall and you don't mind a visitor, maybe I'll take the 5 minute tour!
Jay

csaggio

Postby csaggio » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Thought I'd attach another picture of my barrelback. This was the first time that I had it out for an extended period and spent most of the day giving people rides. I was very happy with how it performed. Still need to add the windscreen, cutwater, rub rail, spray rails and interior.
Attachments
Barrelback.jpg

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Jay - I am working on the Monaco. Had to quit for awhile but am back on it with a vengeance. My string is "Monaco Restart". Your engine inquire is perfect timing for me as I have always wondered about fit myself.

I have been looking at engines and found a prime candidate but am concerned over the height. At a 15 degree prop shaft angle the manufacturer's diagram indicates the height to be 26 1/2" from the motor mounts to the top of the riser. After measuring the boat (upside down of course) that appears to be close or will not fit. Depth of the engine below the motor mounts is 8", which is about what I have so I really can't plan to set the motor mounts below the top of the stringers.

If anyone has measurements that they used or know the amount of height I should have from the top of the stringers to the underside of the engine cover, that would be of enormous help to me. Or any advice would also be greatly appreciated and I'm sure Jay could use as well. Chris.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Here is something to consider. If you use an 8* down angle gear, the front of the engine will be lower. This can make a difference on fuel injected engines. It might not help if you have a carb. You can also cup out the bottom side of the engine hatch frame. Roberta Hegi and David Barrett made scoops on top of their hatches.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:34 pm

On the Riviera (same frames as monaco) you have 21.5'' above the stringers at the front and 19'' at the rear I measured to the underside of the hatch but did not make allowance for battens 3/4''but they can be spaced so they clear .
I also made a scoop

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:46 pm

found a pic bear in mind I turned engine around and used v drive
Attachments
riviera-engine fit.jpg

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:18 am

Jenko - Can you post a photo of the scoop you made? There is no way the engine I want will fit without it. Also I wanted to build double hatch doors so I don't know how a scoop could be fashioned in that case. Thanks, Chris.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:21 am

Bill - Are there any photos of the scoops that Roberta Hegi and David Barrett did in the Glen-L Gallery of photos? If so, what did they build so I can look them up?

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 am

Speedracer.... Take a look at the customer photos of the Cracker Box built by Alex Neymark. I love that scoop!! His entire build is unbelievable. Neel

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:25 am

Look for "Roberta's Torpedo".
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jenko

Postby jenko » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:41 pm

There is some photo's on my thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12506&start=150
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12506&start=120
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12506&start=90
The problem with the split hatch is the 3'' x3/4'' frames that run down the centre which reduces your clearance even more ,also bear in mind the access to the engine is limited to front and back, as opposed to three sides with a single hatch.
As with many decisions you will have to make when building, there are pro's and con's and many trade off's.
A bit of rework because you didn't think of something is not uncommon

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:08 pm

I picked the engine based on how much room there will be (height) very early - I think before I made my first cut.

I saw a few people having to change their decks to make room for the engine...
So - my vote is make sure it will fit under the hatches before getting too far along..

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks. The scoop on Alex's Cracker Box is sick. It is so fine my eyes are hurting. I think I'm going to order the engine I want just because it is too tall so I can try to build that!

There doesn't seem to be a Torpedo section under Galleries in order to be able to see Roberto's scoop. I know I've seen that build somehow but can't find it under Galleries right now. Any help or link to it will be appreciated.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:11 pm

I didn't see all the responses at first. I am considering the one door hatch based on accessibility to the engine bay. Very good point. Chris.

Return to “Power Boats”