Registration process for home made boats in Canada

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

North

Registration process for home made boats in Canada

Postby North » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 am

Hi folks,

One would think I was smart enough to ask these type of questions before building... but, I figured I would find out the hoops, and jump through them (or around them) when the time came.
Well, that time is approaching. I want/ need to do the following things soon, in no specific order:

1 get boat registered
2 get marine survey done
3 get insurance

I had emailed one member a bit re: pros and cons of registering as home made vessel vs incorporating a business, applying for a manufacturer's hull permit, etc so the boat perhaps would have a higher resale... but I don't think - I will go through the extra expense for this one.

If someone could give me the Coles Notes version of the Canadian homemade boat registration process, and/or any other related useful info, I would appreciate it.

PS boat is 25 ft Double Eagle Inboard diesel powered shaft drive. Not complete yet but sea trialed well for performance.

galamb

Re: Registration process for home made boats in Canada

Postby galamb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 pm

I'll have a look here for you - did mine a few years back.

(sorry, long post here)

I got the survey done "first" - that helped out with any questions getting it registered and the insurance wouldn't even talk to us without the survey as well.

You could go the hull permit/business route if you have "years" and a good lawyer to help you out :) Otherwise, it's not all that daunting to register a homemade boat in Canada.

There is "two options" available to you - you either "register it and licence it" or simply "licence it" (see getting convoluted already). I decided to do both, so started with the registration part.

So I started out buy calling Transport Canada, because the website was convoluted. I told them I had built a 25' 10" "pleasure craft" (the pleasure craft part is uber-important, otherwise you need extra inspections etc). They told me to get a copy of a "Canadian Boat Registration Form" (available online through their website) and they would help me fill it in over the phone. Because you don't have a HIN (hull identification number) you have to call them anyhow.

It asks all the "typical" info for a "new" application - name, address, type of propulsion, length, hull material, colour etc but there is specifically a box for "home made". I told them that I had a seaworthiness survey from the marine surveyor (gave them his name and licence number (maybe licence number - thinking back now). Once the registration was done they issued me a temporary registration (permit/licence - whatever they called it) and then I applied for the Pleasure Craft Licence which gave me my "licence number" to stick on the sides of the boat.

Having it "registered" first, took away a couple of steps when it came time to licence it, but the new licence procedure is not all that difficult. I have cut/pasted it from the website so you can see what is involved in simply "licensing" your home made boat:

How do I license a pleasure craft I built myself?
You have two options in applying for a pleasure craft licence number for a pleasure craft you've built yourself – you can submit a request through the Pleasure Craft Electronic Licensing System or you can send your “Application for a Pleasure Craft Licence” form, by post.

Electronically (the preferred method):

In the PCELS, when inputting pleasure craft information in the “New Application: Vessel Information” – the “Home Built” box must be checked.

By submitting the request for a new pleasure craft licence online and uploading the required supporting documentation, an acknowledgment number (valid for 90 days from the initial issue date) will be issued and returned to the applicant by e-mail. The acknowledgment number is to be marked on either side of the pleasure craft, in order to allow the use the vessel immediately.

If the request for a pleasure craft licence is supported by the proper documentation, the permanent pleasure craft licence issued upon verification of the submitted request, will be identical to the acknowledgment number issued.

You will be requested to upload your supporting documentation, Please ensure you have the following documents in the proper file format ready for upload before you start the online process – click on the link for additional information.

A signed copy of a valid piece of government-issued identification from each owner whose name is to appear on the pleasure craft licence;
a declaration under oath that states who built the pleasure craft (you may use this sample declaration form (PDF Version, 62 KB) *); and
a current full side-view colour photograph of the pleasure craft
Because your boat is home-built and as a result there is no bill of sale or any proof of ownership document, you will need to make a declaration under oath stating that you built your boat. You may use the sample declaration form (PDF Version, 62 KB) * provided on this site or another similar document, as long as it contains all the information required.

Please note: The minimum print resolution per document is 300 dpi (dots per inch). The maximum size for upload of any file is 5 MB (five megabytes). Only the following file formats are acceptable:

PDF, JPG, TIFF or PNG.
If your digital camera produces a file format other than those mentioned above, you will need to use the software that came with your camera to convert the images to the proper format.

If any supporting documentation is found to be missing, an e-mail will be sent on the 45th and 75th day after the initial request for a pleasure craft licence was submitted, notifying the applicant of the missing documentation and providing an URL whereby the document can be uploaded in order to validate the pleasure craft licensing request.

If the requested document is not received within 90 days, the application for a pleasure craft licence is automatically rejected and the acknowledgment number is cancelled.

THE ISSUED ACKNOWLEDGMENT NUMBER CANNOT BE REINSTATED once the initial application has been rejected and the applicant will have to resubmit their pleasure craft licence request as well as provide all the supporting documentation.

Upon resubmission, a new acknowledgment number will be issued. The marking of the pleasure craft with the new number will be the owner’s responsibility.

Upon verification of the submitted information and required supporting documentation, the permanent pleasure craft licence will be sent to the pleasure craft owner, by the delivery method selected (e-mail, or by post).

A copy of the document must be printed and kept on board the vessel at all times and the acknowledgment/pleasure craft licence number is to be marked in BLOCK characters not less than 7.5 cm (3 inches) high, on each side of the bow of the boat and in a colour that contrasts with the background colour.

By Post:

If you choose to submit your request for your new Pleasure Craft Licence by post, you must submit the following documents:

a completed Form 84-0172E, Application for Pleasure Craft Licence (PDF Version, 1178 KB) *;
a signed photocopy of a valid piece of government-issued identification for each owner whose name is to appear on the pleasure craft licence; and
a declaration under oath that states who built the pleasure craft (you may use this sample declaration form (PDF Version, 62 KB) *); and
a current full side-view colour photograph of the pleasure craft.
Instructions on how to fill out Form 84-0172E, Application for Pleasure Craft Licence may be found on our How-to page. In particular, see the "To license a pleasure craft that has never been licensed" section.

NOTE: Be sure to check the "Home-built" box in the "Description of vessel" section of the application form.

Because your boat is home-built and as a result there is no bill of sale or any proof of ownership document, you will need to make a declaration under oath stating that you built your boat. You may use the sample declaration form (PDF Version, 62 KB) * provided on this site or another similar document, as long as it contains all the information required.

Your application and all supporting documents must be mailed-in for processing to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre.

A copy of the document must kept on board the vessel at all times and the pleasure craft licence number is to be marked in BLOCK characters not less than 7.5 cm (3 inches) high, on each side of the bow of the boat and in a colour that contrasts with the background colour.

The website with the above is: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/d ... 211.htm#a3 (have to go a good way down the page to find the "home made" section.

***both the registration AND licence was NO CHARGE and the people I talked to at Transport Canada were more than helpful - so don't hesitate to call them if you have questions***

Now, this is important if you live in ONTARIO (and maybe other provinces, but Ontario for sure). The money grubbing Ontario Government gets notification of every "new" pleasure craft licence issued to an Ontario resident and they want "proof" that sales tax was paid on the boat. Fine if you buy from a dealer, but they even come after private sales when the licence holder changes. I knew this in advance so kept a number of receipts for the lumber, epoxy, hardware etc - enough to show that I had paid sales tax on the "materials used to build" - and sure enough, after I got my permanent licence number I get the letter in the mail asking for proof of sales tax payment. So I scan all my receipts, send it in and ask if that's sufficient - didn't hear any more from them so it must have been ok :)

Once I had my registration and licence (again, can get away with just the licence but figured if I went to sell the boat later, or let the licence expire - they do expire every 10 years now - used to be lifetime - it would be easier to re-licence/sell) and my survey, called the insurance company about a "skippers plan". Even though my wife was retired from our insurance company they sounded "hesitant" to touch a "home made boat", but once they had a copy of the survey, there was no issue. Just make sure the survey covers "seaworthiness" and not the typical short survey typically done upon a sale - mine had notes about the construction etc.

Actually the whole process was fairly smooth and painless.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:57 pm

God I love Alabama.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:God I love Alabama.

Bill

God I love Georgia.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

galamb

Postby galamb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Wonder if you guys will feel the same way after your upcoming election - it's rather entertaining so far from my side of the line :lol:
Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:41 am

I'll never complain about the California DMV again! When I registered our Zip, all they asked for were the receipts for the materials and my application for a new registration. I brought photos just as proof there really was a boat; they said the photos weren't necessary, but they all said it was a cool project. 30 minutes and $19.00 later I was out the door with a hull ID number and tags good for two years. California usually tries to make things as difficult as possible (buy a firearm here sometime), but boats are a breeze.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:43 am

I agree, Mark! I've always been amazed at the ease of registering a boat here in CA. Thanks for the detailed info about Canada's registration process, galamb. Would you mind if I post that on our Blog for easy reference for other builders? I get questions about registering in your country from time to time and this would be helpful.
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

galamb

Postby galamb » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Go ahead Gail.

Will save me having to type it up again in a year or so :lol:
Graham

North

Postby North » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:02 am

I have completed the on-line application for a pleasure craft license and now will wait and see.
Will get a survey done too, but may tie up some loose ends...wires an stuff 1st

Thanks for the help!

North

Postby North » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:53 am

update - well, that was easy. Received Pleasure craft license via email today. Have to carry on vessel at all times and attach numbers to hull, but I will wait on this as the hull is not finished near the bow - but anyway, she is licensed.

I will get the survey within the next month I think, and then insurance following that.
thanks for the help and gov't links!
fyi - I don't have a hull number in the license as it was home made. If I had went the "builder" application route, I would have been able to get a hull number issued, but for my purposes, I didn't deem it worthwhile.

Return to “Power Boats”