Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:33 am

Great job!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

froberts

Re: My (Sort Of) Sea Knight Build

Post by froberts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you Bryan & Matt, I really want to get this thing flipped while still maintaining a level of finish I'll be happy with. No sense in rushing only to regret not taking that little bit more time in prep.
Fraser

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 am

I got the bottom to a good planing surface and called it good enough. I haven't crawled under to look at how great the bottom looks since the flip.
Matt

froberts

Post by froberts » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:35 pm

As I'm sure everyone here can relate, at times it feels as though I'm moving at a snail's pace with my build. I just try and remind myself that slow and steady continuous work is better than nothing!

Here are a couple of fun pictures I found of one of my grandpa's first (non-rotting) boats. He'd encouraged me to build the Sea Knight exclaiming that he'd had a boat just like it, I didn't realize just how similar the design was until actually seeing these pictures! Pictures are from Aug 1959, my Grandpa would have been approximately 31 years old. I will be turning 30 this November.

Now onto the build. Not a ton to report but I've finally got the hull to a state that I am pleased with and the first coat of primer was put on last night! I am using interlux interprotect 2002E and am very pleased with how it went on. Picture below was taken just before I finished up for the night. I rolled on the first coat and plan to longboard the entire hull. Once wiped down I'll spray another two coats, then sand, and then paint the bottom. Bottom paint will be interlux Micron CSC.

Depending on how that all goes I may decide to paint the sides, but right now I think I might wait till I'm closer to being done. Any thoughts?

Fraser

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Fraser

It brings a big smile to my face! The link between you. I can't touch that.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Looks great! I would advise against painting the sides until after you get your topside decking in place.
Matt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Fraser

I agree with Matt. Paint the bottom. But, wait on the topsides.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 pm

I agree on the painting as well, leave the sides until after you get the upper section done. Believe me, there is going to be some time before you finish the topsides.

Love the photos. Very cool that your grandfather built one. What you need to do is do some modern poses similar when you get your Sea Knight finished.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

froberts

Post by froberts » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:44 pm

First coat of bottom paint went on the hull last night. note that I've decided to paint from the bottom down to the waterline from the bow back only up to where the waterline crosses onto the sides. I am using interlux mircon csc and was very happy with how the first coat turned out. It was quite warm last night so it was tricky to keep a wet edge. Will now sand with 120grit and then will apply the second coat.Image

Fraser

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Really nice work.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Frasier

Good job!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Looks great!
Matt

froberts

Post by froberts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm

The big push to the flip is on!
It will be 2 years Aug 1st since I cut the first piece of wood for my build. What better way to celebrate two awesome years of fun than to flip her over, right?

Last night I applied the second full coat of primer on the sides, this will get aggressively longboarded before a third and final coat of primer goes on. That will get left unsanded until I'm ready to paint the topsides...whenever that is! The bottom still needs a quick sanding at 120grit before the second coat of bottom paint goes on.

I have been VERY happy working with interlux products so far. The interprotect2000E goes on very easily and provides a great deal of material to help smooth out any small variances in the hull. It's definitely not a fix-all and a better woodworker than myself may not need it, but with a couple coats and lots of sanding it's exceeded my expectation of how smooth my hull would be. The Micron CSC, which can only be rolled on, dries very quickly, and once dry looked way more uniform than I was expecting.

Tonight will be spent sanding and then tomorrow morning I'll apply the 2nd coat of bottom paint and next coat of primer!
If all goes well I will spend Friday building the roll cradle and be prepping for the flip!
Fraser

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Sounds great Fraser. You're making faster progress than I did. Took me 4 years to get to the flip stage. I left my bottom partially painted and plan to have it final painted after the boat is finished. Not sure yet how I am going to accomplish that, but I suspect it will be something like that done when painting sailboat bottoms in boat yards.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

froberts

Post by froberts » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks, everyone!

Yesterday was such an exciting day, and all I did was pull it out of the garage! Provided I get the roll cradle built tonight the plan is to roll the boat tomorrow evening! Here are a couple pictures of her out in the sun!

wish me luck!
Fraser

Return to “Power Boats”