Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: My (Sort Of) Sea Knight Build

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:33 am

Great job!

froberts

Postby froberts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you Bryan & Matt, I really want to get this thing flipped while still maintaining a level of finish I'll be happy with. No sense in rushing only to regret not taking that little bit more time in prep.
Fraser

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 am

I got the bottom to a good planing surface and called it good enough. I haven't crawled under to look at how great the bottom looks since the flip.

froberts

Postby froberts » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:35 pm

As I'm sure everyone here can relate, at times it feels as though I'm moving at a snail's pace with my build. I just try and remind myself that slow and steady continuous work is better than nothing!

Here are a couple of fun pictures I found of one of my grandpa's first (non-rotting) boats. He'd encouraged me to build the Sea Knight exclaiming that he'd had a boat just like it, I didn't realize just how similar the design was until actually seeing these pictures! Pictures are from Aug 1959, my Grandpa would have been approximately 31 years old. I will be turning 30 this November.

Now onto the build. Not a ton to report but I've finally got the hull to a state that I am pleased with and the first coat of primer was put on last night! I am using interlux interprotect 2002E and am very pleased with how it went on. Picture below was taken just before I finished up for the night. I rolled on the first coat and plan to longboard the entire hull. Once wiped down I'll spray another two coats, then sand, and then paint the bottom. Bottom paint will be interlux Micron CSC.

Depending on how that all goes I may decide to paint the sides, but right now I think I might wait till I'm closer to being done. Any thoughts?

Fraser

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Fraser

It brings a big smile to my face! The link between you. I can't touch that.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Looks great! I would advise against painting the sides until after you get your topside decking in place.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Fraser

I agree with Matt. Paint the bottom. But, wait on the topsides.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 pm

I agree on the painting as well, leave the sides until after you get the upper section done. Believe me, there is going to be some time before you finish the topsides.

Love the photos. Very cool that your grandfather built one. What you need to do is do some modern poses similar when you get your Sea Knight finished.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”