My (Sort Of) Sea Knight Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Craig Aho

Re: My (Sort Of) Sea Knight Build

Post by Craig Aho » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:55 pm

That looks real nice Fraser. Now the real fun begins IMO.:)

Craig

froberts

Post by froberts » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Hello Everyone,
It's been at least 6 months since I last posted a check-in. Unfortunately, a week after flipping the hull over my grandfather passed away. Since then I'd tried my best to work on the boat but if I'm honest it just wasn't the same without having him there. After several months of thinking it through I made the decision that, no matter what it took, I'd get the boat in the water this summer as a tribute to his memory....Then real life kicked in and, again being honest, I knew there would be no way for me to get the boat even usable by the summer on my own. So after interviewing several companies, big and small, I've now hired a local guy to get the bulk of the framing done. I still get to come and help out as much as I want but this way there is someone working on the boat chipping away.

Here you can see that the forward bulkhead is in place and the flooring has started to get put down. both sides have been compartmentalized into individual airtight sections providing tons of additional bouyancy. The two forward central compartments will be used for two fuel tanks.

Subdeck is on and now you can really start to see the size of the boat

Coaming and side decking on and you can see the floor getting epoxied

The sheer line was definitely off here and there so the high spots were cut down. Definitely gave the boat a sexy smooth sheer line!

The hatch/door into the cuddy section hasn't been completely cut out just yet but you'll note that the door has been shifted to port rather than being right in the middle as shown on the plan.

This morning, in fact, was spent mocking up the windshield. Definitely not a true sea knight, the sides were modeled at the original cabin sides but just exaggerated and swept back the full length of the cockpit.

Still lots to play around with before it'll get cut out. I've been very happy seeing the boat take shape and how the extended length of the hull and longer front deck have given the boat a very nice profile.
Fraser

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm

That's really looking good!!! What kind of trawler is that behind it?

froberts

Post by froberts » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm

It's an old wooden Monk I believe. Completely restored and now for sale.
Fraser

Po'boy

Post by Po'boy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm

That's a Loop boat for sure! Very nice. Do you know what the asking price is? Sorry, not trying to derail your thread. I'm starting a Waterlodge to do part of the Loop in.

footer

Post by footer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 am

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. My dad and mentor, passed before he got to see me start mine.
Your boat looks great. Something about the hull lines that just really catches my eye. Being a Navy man, I love the colors. Haze Gray and underway. Be sure and post pics of it in the water.
Keep smiling. :)

froberts

Post by froberts » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks Footer. The hull colour you see there is actually just the primer. But I agree, the more I look at it the more I might have to paint it a grey!
Fraser

Return to “Power Boats”