Monroe Malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BayouBengal

Re: Monroe Malahini

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:24 am

Hi Lyman, The SystemThree primer sands plenty easy enough and provides a nice base coat, but has no fill characteristics, like absolutely zero, zilch, none. If you're looking for a fill-type primer that will help fill and level out your newly fiberglassed surface, you'll need to look at something other than the SystemThree primer.

Hug dem grandbabies for us. :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 am

Lyman

Pettit has a pretty good Hi-Build primer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Thompson

Postby Thompson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I've already ordered the system3. What i have sanded so far is pretty smooth. You can still see and feel a little of the weave. I plan at least one more coat of epoxy. When i have that sanded down I'll see how that looks. My order some of the Pettit. Don't know if you can mix Pettit and System3. Different. Coats, of course, one on top of the other. From what I've read the System 3 is pretty user friendly. Thanks
Lyman

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Lyman,

The System 3 primer rolls pretty nicely and should take care of small imperfections. It is easy to work with and sands easily. If you are using WR-LPU over it, this works differently and there is a learning curve. If you can spray it I would go that route, but roll/tip is possible and you can get good results.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Thompson

Postby Thompson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:39 pm

20171016_214356.jpg
Wow. It's been almost four months since my last post. Haven't had much time to work on the boat. It's been 100 deg. in the shop, too hot. That and vacation, work, lots of grass cutting and grand kids soccer, it's been hard to find time to do much. At my last post I thought I was close to being able to start painting. Put the first coat of primer on tonight!! Rolled and tipped, but I'm going to try and spray the next couple of coats. It's cooling off so I hope I'm going to get back at it.

Also, its been almost a year since I started this project. When I started I had this disillusion that I might make it to this year's gathering with it. Ha! That's a joke. Each part takes so much more time than I could ever imagine. I'm on no time table. It will be done when it gets done. Enjoying the journey.

Lyman

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Great job, can't wait to see more!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”