True Grit

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Fyrehawk

True Grit

Postby Fyrehawk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone knew if the Glen L True Grit would be seaworthy enough to go to the Exumas in the Bahamas ?

Dave Grason

Re: True Grit

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:57 pm

I believe that, given the right conditions, anything is possible. But, to say definitively that it's completely doable, would be much too broad of a statement given all the variables. Also, I think that personal opinions and expectations are extremely varied.

Take a look at this link and I think it would answer a lot of questions:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/october/bahamas.asp

In the end, however, I will give my own opinion. This is only an opinion though.

NO, I WOULDN'T DO IT!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Postby kens » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:39 pm

yaaa, you can do it.
I've noticed 20' sailboats do it.
It is all about the weather, you take time and look for the right weather window.
When that happens there is a multitude of boats doing the same thing, so you are not likely to be alone.
Also depends where you jump off of Florida from. Launching from the bottom of Miami, or top of the Keys is the most common, and the Gulfstream will carry you a extra 3kts going north, you can make the west end of Bahamas in a day.
Sailboats do it in a day, fast power boats can get it in matter of hours.
If the weather is out of the north or NE, it is a no-go.
The weather out of the south or SW, then you get fast seagoing all the way.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

curtgard

Postby curtgard » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:28 pm

I built my True Grit with three major cruising goals in my mind. Cruise the Great Loop, cruise from Seattle to Skagway, Alaska and explore the Bahamas islands. I think all three of these can be cruised with the True Grit by watching the weather and properly equipping the boat. Check out my building blog and hopefully Ray will chime in as he has cruised his True Grit for several years.

Curt

Return to “Power Boats”