Finally Double Eagle sea trial video seen from shore

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

North

Finally Double Eagle sea trial video seen from shore

Postby North » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi folks,

Only took 2 months, but just before yesterday's haulout for the season, I managed to get a couple of videos from shore.
But, the 5 minute one keeps aborting when uploading to youtube, so here are a couple of short ones.
The boat had alot of barnacles on the bottom, which reduced to speed by at least 2 kts..
I was doing up to 18- 20 kts max in these.
I will place permanent fuel tanks, battery, etc this winter, so I would to see how others here think it is 'riding"
and if I should consider changing tank location, etc to add more weight to bow, stern, etc.

Honestly, I am disappointed that the videos really don't look impressive.... the boat feels a whole lot more impressive onboard.... you can really feel the acceleration, that does not come out well in these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7priViGEiE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzh023u2jtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NFJ5LpC2Ek

Dave Grason

Re: Finally Double Eagle sea trial video seen from shore

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 pm

North wrote: I am disappointed that the videos really don't look impressive....

ARE YOU KIDDING? It looks very impressive to me. I am amazed at the acceleration that is quite obvious in that first video.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Double Eagle is kinda weird………….
When piloting it, you feel like you are in a tanky, sloppy, slow boat. But, when another boat is running beside you, they look like they are hauling' tail.

Just today I took mine up the Canoochee river looking for hog/deer hunting opportunities. I was on Ft. Stewart military reservation on a little estuary river. Most people take a flat bottom jon boat here, I took a Double Eagle/inboard.
Double Eagle is a boat in its own class.
From blue water opportunities, to jon boat territory, it's kinda weird………in a good way.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Postby kens » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:03 pm

"I will place permanent fuel tanks, battery, etc this winter, so I would to see how others here think it is 'riding"
and if I should consider changing tank location, etc to add more weight to bow, stern, etc."

The D. Eagles I have seen, and/or piloted/riden in, all seem to have frame 7 dry out when up and running.
from your videos I cannot tell where your frame 7 is. seems to be still wetted, but I don't think you were fully up on plane.
As far as a running attitude, it seems that frame 7 drying out is the common denominator on D. Eagle.

I did notice that your spray rails are doing fine, transom sides drying off. that is a good thing.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:05 pm

Looks fantastic to me. You've got a fine boat sir

North

Postby North » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 am

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement folks!

I certainly am happy with the build and how it performs, knowing I should add some cupping and perhaps pitch adjustment to bring the rpms down at cruise speeds.

Right now, I am trying hard to spend very little on the boat (wife has reached her limit...) and use existing leftover aluminum to weld in floors, build large access panels/ hatches, and look at small Alaska cabin / windshield options / mockups with leftover cheap ply...
I do want to place permanent tanks. I have two good (but small SS tanks - maybe 10 gallon each - have been using one all summer), but they are too small to bother with fuel level sensor, so I would like to keep one or both small ones on board as reserves, and have one 30 - 50 gallon main tank, with proper fill and level sensor to make things easier.
Can get a used aluminum tank that looks good at a good price, but I would have to cut my floor stringers - not a big deal... but if I order a poly tanks to fit, it will be new/ reliable, but 3-4 times the cost.... a sore point right now...

Here is a pic to show location of frame 7
it is about two feet ahead of the bimini front edge - to me, it looks like this area is still in the water.
Although not on full plane/ top speed, this was cruise speed of about 18- 20 kts.
Attachments
IMG_20160925_111859.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:23 pm

North

I'd put fuel mid-ship. Trim is not affected much with fuel level that much. Check for barnacles on the prop and shaft. Those can also knock you way down. The boat looks great!

I did launch the Bartender. I still have some trim issues to deal with, some electronics to deal with, and some cabinet work...

But! we have Running Boats!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Look's Great!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

North

Postby North » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:40 pm

thanks folks!

Bill - yes, I watched the incredible work and progress you completed to get to the show...

by the way, boat had no barnacles on prop or shaft, but on the hull bottom there were a half dozen or so in every square foot. I am sure that's nothing compared to what some have seen, but it did make a difference in speed, and that was only in 2 months.
I say barnacles - may not be accurate, but crusty white shells anyway - came off with the pressure washer, but only when point up close right at them.. my neighbour told me later that spraying them with javex and water will make them release, or can scrape them off, but the pressure washer did the trick - wanted to wash the salt water from the trailer / brakes anyway.

Return to “Power Boats”