Gentleman's Runabout - Additional Designs

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gbostard

Gentleman's Runabout - Additional Designs

Postby gbostard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 am

Figure'd I'd re-post this here rather than my last thread so everyone can see....

Thank you all so much for the responses, if I had any reservations at all, they're gone now! Mark, looking good! I've got a question however - and Roberta touched on this a bit - I'm in love with the Gentlemans Runabout/Racer Design. I've always loved this look - the rear cockpit and long bow. Never thought I would be able to own a boat like this, and to build one myself would be awesome. The only issue that I'm having is that the Gentry is the only boat of it's kind available from Glen-L, and it seats only two. I'm a new dad, and I would imagine that by the time the boat is completed I may be a dad of two, so I was hoping to build something a little more family friendly (seating 4 at least).

I recognize that the boat designs featured on the Glen-L site are geared more toward amateurs, and the support through this forum is obviously incredible, , does anyone know of any more Glen'L plans that feature more of this type of design? Any info would help.

Thanks All!

Roberta

Re: Gentleman's Runabout - Additional Designs

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 am

Neel Thompson's Gentry is stretched and does accommodate up to four adults.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:48 am

the triple cockpit designs would work too. just close up or make a hatch of the forward or middle to give you the long bow
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 am

gbostard

Here is an idea that's going on now.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30207

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 am

Here is a link to Neel's Gentry.

Roberta :D :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12166&start=255
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BillW

Postby BillW » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:02 am

You can make just about any hull look like a Gentlemen's Racer. Sort of.

I did that with a Glen-L Squirt. It's a baby Gentlemen's Racer.

Pick a larger one for your family of four!.
DSCN5245 (2).JPG

gbostard

Postby gbostard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:29 am

I love the idea of picking a 20-22' Biscayne, Tahoe, Barrelback, etc., eliminating the front cockpits and pushing the controlling cockpit to the back (and I think that I have the creativity to do so!), but how would I make adjustments for the engine location? I would still need four seats in the rear. I love what Neil has done with his Gentry in the addition of a rumble seat location, but I'm looking for more of a group seating area, than a split 2 and 2. Would I be able to use the 10% extension rule, adding the additional length to the back, and thus creating a larger rear cockpit? I'm a civil engineer by trade - not mentioning that because I have the brains to redesign a boat or even know the first thing about boat design - but mentioning it more because I understand the importance of the engine location and live load location when designing anything....especially a boat. I'd hate to spend a few years building my dream boat, only to realize during the maiden voyage that all of my "creative changes" have helped to drive the bow into the water, or keep the stern so low that the boat won't plane.

Thoughts on this?

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 am

engine stays as drawn. use your center cockpit for the mother-in-laws seating ...can have a hatch cover for when not in use. the longer boats will have better stability and handle more sea conditions too
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:03 am

!10% stretch is accomplished by increasing the distance between each frame. I think adding 10% to the aft of the boat would require adding a frame and relofting
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:07 pm

If you're interested in accommodating an open seating area?... Have you considered building one of the boats you've mentioned as a "utility?" I'm building the Tahoe 23' with the plan of building a shell big enough to cover the engine and eliminating the engine compartment and hatch to effectively open up the entire cockpit for seating, space, and no isolation! Scroll through the link below for pictures of what I'm talking about... You can build seating to your specs when you get to that point, but the beauty is you'll have the space to do just that! Just a thought that may get you where you want to be?!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24317&start=165&hilit=tahoe+utility

Best regards, Shane.
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Here's some pics from the lake tahoe concours d' elegance racer style to inspire you!

Jim
Attachments
PB090066.JPG
PB090065.JPG
P8080082.JPG
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:11 pm

Greg

I'm a Civil/Structural Engineer also. If you are looking at a boat that will run in the 50 MPH range you might look at modifying the Riviera or Tahoe 23. Most of the others have a vertical bow and flat bottoms aft. The vertical bow can be dangerous at higher speed in rougher water or wakes. The bow can "hook" in a wave an take the wheel right out of your hands and throw you and passengers around.

I'll talk about the Tahoe, because, I'm most familiar with it. I think if you took the tank out from behind the rear cockpit seat and put it forward of the engine the balance would not be significantly affected. You have about 250 # of fuel. A couple of guys in the back instead of up front. This would allow you to stretch rear cockpit back. There is also room on the Tahoe to make the cockpits a little wider. Up front, you could put a little larger tank. You could put the tank at the second seat and put the mother-n-law further away. On second thought, I think I'd put the tank at the second seat. :roll: This would give you better access under the front deck for storage. The battery can still go under the aft seat.

This leaves the engine in the same location and everything can be balanced. (Unless the Mother-n-Law gets Too big.)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gbostard

Postby gbostard » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:22 am

Thank you for all of the replies! It is much appreciated!

Bill,

That is EXACTLY the kind of advice I was looking for, thank you so much. I am from Cape May, NJ, and this boat will be used mostly in the chop of the bay, or maybe on an ocean run during a calm day. I am used to driving boats with a similar hull shape to the RIviera or Tahoe, but also very much admire the Barrelback or Biscayne style as well. I would have had no idea how that hull shape would act in the water I'll be using it in, thanks for the heads up. Why do you suggest the 23' version of the Tahoe or Riviera and not the 19'-21'? Is it because the longer bow will help balance the boat better with the majority of the passengers in the back?

-Greg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:40 am

Greg

The transom of the Tahoe 19 is only 5 ft. wide and there is not a lot of freeboard. The Tahoe 23 is more robust boat in the waters you're talking about. Butch Barto uses his 23/24 in the bays often. I have to watch for calmer days. But, the Bartender will fix that.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”