fairing the stem of key largo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Mickffly

fairing the stem of key largo

Postby Mickffly » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:36 am

When I look at online photos, it's hard to see exactly how to fair the stem. The stem near the breasthook, where the side battens meet, appear to be 45 degree angle. Near frame seven, it's a deep angle almost touching the frame notch. Where I am having trouble is the in between, but still above (the keel side on my upsidedown boat) the chine. Do I just keep grinding until the test planks I have sit flat or do I need to do more on the bottom battens...or both?
Mickffly
Charleston, SC
Key Largo Build
started 8/30/2015

Bill Edmundson

Re: fairing the stem of key largo

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 am

The stem changes constantly. Work till the planking fits smoothly. That is part of the challenge of boat building. This is really true on a cold mold. The stem will be fairly sharp high on the bow and flatten out some at the keel. Between it won't be sharp or flat. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:34 am

Bill's right!! Follow the changes in contour and angle as you progress from one frame to the next. Lay in your planking boards at the angle you will be fastening them to the framing. When they lay in with a nice flat fit on the anchor point, you have it. Remember that you need symmetry from side to side. Mark a centerline on the keel and stem so you know when to stop and not fair into the other side. I find it easiest to start fairing all the framing from back to front. That way when I get to the bow, things seem to make more sense. Takes a little vision to see how it all comes together.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mickffly

Postby Mickffly » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks to you both! It's one of those questions about boat building...you think you know the answer to...but don't want to make a dumb mistake.
I appreciate the help.
Mickffly
Charleston, SC
Key Largo Build
started 8/30/2015

Return to “Power Boats”