Chad's Belle Isle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chasen

Chad's Belle Isle

Postby chasen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:33 am

Finally got moved in to the new place and got the garage setup, for the most part. Last night I laid out the plans for the first time to begin looking them over. I've read though most of the instructions and several online build logs and have a pretty good idea how to get started. I still have some lighting to configure, but tools, workbench (position anyway...I am putting a new top on it this weekend to make it larger to draw out the frames), and TV are all set to go!

Last edited by chasen on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
Belle Isle 23, working on frames as of Dec '16

Roberta

Re: Chad's Belle Isle

Postby Roberta » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:12 am

All Righty Then!!! :lol: I built a 4' by 8' table when I built my second airplane. This worked well for the boats, too. Whatever size you have, a 1/4" MFD top works great for laying out the framing and other parts. Once the framing is all up, you can remove the MFD and toss it out, preserving your heavier underlayment from the ravages of pencil lines and epoxy.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chasen

Postby chasen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:18 am

Great suggestion! I'll add the 1/4" overlay. The table I have was used for the RV-7, CX-4, and the Tailwind that I started to build...but on to boats now!
Chad

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:10 am

Hi Chad,
For my table, I constructed it out of 2/4's and a sheet of birch plywood. I used saw horses for legs. After the frames were done, I ripped it down the center. Now I can configure the table as a 4x8 table or a 2x16 table, and It stores easily against the wall in my garage.
Jim
Attachments
P1060095.JPG
Here's the the 2x16 configuration.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:58 am

I had some 8' "church" folding tables. I put 1/2"x4'x8' exterior ply on it. I later used the ply for seat bases and still have the tables.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chasen

Postby chasen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm heading over to Home Depot this afternoon to get the new top and lighting. 8)
Chad

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:23 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:I had some 8' "church" folding tables. I put 1/2"x4'x8' exterior ply on it. I later used the ply for seat bases and still have the tables.

Bill

I have some of those as well. Right now, they have plastic topped versions for around $70 at Sam's Club. I like them a lot because they are super light and very easy to move around, set up and take down.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 am

Dave

I like the plastic ones also. That's what I bring to the Gathering. The "church" tables have 3/4" particle board tops. God they're heavy.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:34 am

Heavy for sure!!! I have four of them that are cut up, beat up, glued up, and painted up that are going to be let go. They served well through two planes, three boats, and countless other duties. Gonna have a rummage sale in the spring and these will go.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Jimbob wrote:Hi Chad,
For my table, I constructed it out of 2/4's and a sheet of birch plywood. I used saw horses for legs. After the frames were done, I ripped it down the center. Now I can configure the table as a 4x8 table or a 2x16 table, and It stores easily against the wall in my garage.
Jim

Jim, I wanted to ask you what you were gluing up in your photo here?

They look like what I wanted to do for engine stringers on a future inboard.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

chasen

Postby chasen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:07 am

Spent the time I had this week to finish the layout table and hang some lights (halogen for some warmth this winter!).

Laid out the graphite tracing paper and got the frame lines laid out.

This week I plan to buy the wood and fasteners for the frames but I travel later this week...hoping to get to tracing patterns on lumber early next week.

8)
Chad

chasen

Postby chasen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

I LOVE how you can see the beautiful lines of the Belle Isle in the frame layout...so cool.
Chad

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:28 am

chasen wrote:I LOVE how you can see the beautiful lines of the Belle Isle in the frame layout...so cool.

...yeah not too hard on the eyes :D a flexible batten and a few nails on the pattern line gives you a clean cut and cleanup line for your frames
-Billy
425.jpg
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

chasen

Postby chasen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:35 am

Will do! Thanks Billy
Chad

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:50 pm

I remember those days. I just passed the 4 years mark on my belle Isle. Looking to complete it before next spring. It will live up near Madison (not too far from you) if you want to come see it next summer for inspiration.

Craig

Return to “Power Boats”