KIDS BUILD A BOAT EVENT IN HOUSTON

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jplatou

KIDS BUILD A BOAT EVENT IN HOUSTON

Postby jplatou » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 am

The 2017 Houston Boat Show has again given the ACBS and AOMCI a space to display our boats and motors, including my Kids Build A Boat booth. The show runs January 6 to the 15th, The Build A Boat is only manned on the 2 weekends! This is a big show 1000 or so new boats on display.

Please bring your kids and grandkids to help build a 8' Pram, disassemble and reassemble a 1955 5 1/2 Hp Evinrude down to piston rings and gears, or help paint a old 8' pram with poster paint! Kids of all ages are welcome, youngest has been 15 months to about 12 years old. Oldest kid was 82! Most kids are 3 to 9 years old. Girls are about 60 to 70% of the builders!

Please contact me if you want to hold an similar event for the kids in your organization.

We need to allow our kids and grandkids to see and experience boating and boat building.

The kids get one free ticket when they help build the boat, the unlucky parent gets to take it home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the link for the program https://buildaboatblog.files.wordpress. ... 2-2016.pdf
Last edited by jplatou on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: KIDS BUILD A BOAT EVENT

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:01 am

John,

Thank you for sharing this with us. We'll try and get the word out about your program! Good luck to you...
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:22 am

I'll keep it in mind; Houston's not too far away. Not sure if I'd bring my boat or not. I suppose the boats are only shown on the trailers as it may be a little chilly to have them in the water.

I don't have any kids or grandkids, but maybe I could help out with your activities if you need a volunteer. And I must say, this big kid wouldn't mind seeing the disassembly and reassembly of a 1955 5 1/2 Hp Evinrude down to piston rings and gears, himself.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:28 pm

We do need help with all the kids, we will have 60 to 80 a day, working one or all of the projects. Please PM if interested,

The show is inside the Reliant Center it both ac and heated as needed. This is not the in the water boat show. All exhibits are place inside a week a head of time. There are about 1000 new boats to see, the show gives the club about 4000 sf in the lobby to display antique boats and motors and 200 sf for my display inside.

Is that a Squirt on your profile?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:30 pm

BayouBengal wrote: I suppose the boats are only shown on the trailers as it may be a little chilly to have them in the water.

Well, there is THAT!

But they may not have bilge pumps that can keep up either... you know... seeing as how they are antiques. LOL

(Just a friendly jab at those classic boat guys that poo poo Glen-L builders.)
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:07 am

This is a great effort! Something, good for people to do with their kids. The kids actually can learn something.

I've been asked many times, "How did you know how to do that?", "where did you learn to do that?", and etc. My answer, "I don't know." You never know what will serve someone later in life.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:42 am

Definitely interested. PM sent.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Bill

Several years ago, my 2 6 year old grandsons were asking kids passing by the booth to help build the boat. That asked a 9 or something girl if she wanted to help, she replied Daddy, Can I, Can I, his reply was my daughter, is not going to be a carpenter! I was almost in front of him and said my daughter drills and screws every Monday and Tuesday, but then she is a Foot Surgeon! He got a funny look on his face and put his head down!

All the kids that build with us most likely can not build a boat on their own, but the leave thinking they can!

I hear a lot of kids asking Mom and Dad when the can build a their own boat.

Thinking I have a lot of parents upset with me!

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Jeff

PM received and replied!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:09 pm

jplatou wrote:All the kids that build with us most likely can not build a boat on their own, but the leave thinking they can!

And we Glen-L forum members KNOW they can!

jplatou wrote:I hear a lot of kids asking Mom and Dad when the can build a their own boat.

Thinking I have a lot of parents upset with me!

None that matter! I was about ten years old when the boat building bug bit me. We had a friend of the family that built a boat in his garage and I just thought that was the coolest thing EVER! And in a reversal of roles, I was always upset with my folks that they didn't ever even buy a boat. I spent my childhood only getting to go out on a boat when a friend invited me. Now THAT is a sad childhood, indeed!

Of course, everyone that goes to the Gatherings knows that I play guitar. And being from Nashville, it makes sense that I’ve played in bands. Back in the nineties, I played in a Blues band and really got to know my fellow musicians well. I was the only white man in the band. The other musicians all called me “Cue Ball.” When I started building my Zip, all those guys in the band looked at me like I had two heads. That’s when I realized that I had never seen any folks of African descent that liked boats. Whenever I invited some to go to the lake, they ALWAYS turned me down. I thought that this was really sad and it occurred to me that these folks never had any exposure when they were at an early enough and formative enough age. I got to thinking about this and it dawned on me that Soloboat and his wife, are the only people of African descent that I know, who are enthusiastic about boating. This has to be due to the fact that they are from the islands where they were exposed at a young age.
So, this is what I’m saying. These boat building events for kids are absolutely SUPER important and should not be missed if at all possible. By attending these events with your children, you are introducing them to an entirely new world of mind expanding exploration that they will miss if you, as a parent, drop this ball.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:46 pm

I am currently pursuing a Master of Arts degree in Education. In one class right now, we are studying the psychology of education. We’ve been discussing the various theories of child development – primarily those theories from Piaget and Vygotsky. Both of these early twentieth century researchers recognized how important it was to introduce formative ideas to children even before one would think that they were ready to handle those ideas. Children have “ranges” of information that they can mentally process and these ranges are constantly expanding as the children grow and mature. Even if something is somewhat more complicated than a particular child can digest in his/her particular range, information in a higher/different range gets stored away and recalled when the child’s range later expands. Here is an example of how it works.
When I was a very young boy, about six, my parents became very impressed at how I became very conscious of all the various brands of cars on the road at that time. As we drove down the road, they would spy a car here or there and see if I knew what it was. It was very rare that I missed one. But it was for certain that I never missed the same car a second time. My dad had a friend that really didn’t care for children and especially, he didn’t like me. He was always bullying me and trying to find a car that I didn’t know seem to be one of his life’s missions. If he could do that, he was going to smugly gloat over me like I was stupid.
One day, he was riding with us in the car and suddenly, he said, “I see a car that David doesn’t know!”
I said, “Where?”
He pointed to a car on a parking lot as we drove by.
I said, “Oh, that’s a Henry J. It’s built by Kaiser.” I had only ever seen a photo of one in a magazine but at six years of age, my memory was darn near photographic.
I think that, to this day, my parents do not let him live that down. But this shows how formative the child’s mind is. The more exposure the child gets, the more he/she absorbs and recalls later in life. I don’t think that this can be understated.

John Platou, thank you for taking the initiative to establish programs such as these. I am especially impressed by the three-year-old girl in her frilly dress that took the outboard motor apart and put it back together again. You are to be commended.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:56 am

The disassembly of the outboard and painting of the boat are easy and quick to get into the show.

The prebuilding of the boat takes time, members and I have it down to about 12 hours per boat when we do 4 boats at a time. If there were a precut kit available it could reduce the time and possibly encourage more clubs to join the program! The only real requirement is there should be a lot space to put in screws. The plans we use call for about 150 screws on 3 inch on centers, we start there and add in between and end up with screws of 3/4 to 1 inch on centers and about 1200 3/4 #8 screws!

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 pm

These are some of the better pictures from Kid Build A Boat
1052014 019.jpg
My grandson Grant age 3 months on his first photo shoot at 2014 Houston Boat Show "KID Build A Boat" Youngest on record!
Lake Houston Police were across from us and let kids sit on their jet ski and turn on the blue lights!
Attachments
1172014 007.jpg
1172014 002 (1).jpg

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 pm

IMG_1986.JPG
Attachments
Kids Build A  Boat  542015 010 (1).jpg

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:37 am

Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky would both be so proud.

In the photo of you and the three month old holding the drill, it's really difficult to see which one of you guys is the bigger child! LOL :lol: And I really love how intense the faces of these girls are that are assembling the motors. I think that the little girl in the pink/red top that is holding the screw driver, is ready to learn how to use a torque wrench. :P

And then there is the little guy that's standing over this girl's left shoulder. Look at this kid's face! You can tell that this guy is definitely FOCUSED and ENGAGED!

Return to “Power Boats”