Geronimo and her Chieftain

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Geronimo and her Chieftain

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Howdy, I'm building Geronimo. Today i got the foredeck on. I'm attaching a couple of shots of my progress. I've been using an original equipment scissors jack from my father's 1952 Pontiac Chieftain - it's been a great help jacking up the boat, and holding down the plywood. Dad is gone and I don't know what happened to the Pontiac but I inherited the jack. Next step is to glass the decks, which I'll probably paint. I need to take some time off for a new shoulder - I need a new joint and I've been putting it off because I want to get as much done on the boat as I can. Notice I decided to put the helm on the left side vs right - even after the new joint I won't have range of motion to spin the wheel, so I'm putting it on the port side. I have a 1963 Buick Wildcat steering wheel I'd like to use for my boat - looking for a vintage suicide knob. As I recall from my youth these knobs either had a rose or hideous topless model :lol: d
By the way, I need to drill some holes in the tops of the frames on the port side to accomadate the steering cables - any tips on what size holes and how far down from the deck to drill them? Bob
Attachments
IMG_0831 - Copy.JPG
canopy is great
IMG_0830.JPG
pontiac chieftain jack on right
IMG_0822 - Copy.JPG
holes ready for faria instruments
Bob

jplatou

Re: Geronimo and her Chieftain

Postby jplatou » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:46 am

Are you using old style cable steering with pulleys or newer push pull cable steering?

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:07 pm

I plan on using the Teleflex (I think this company may have been consolidated into antoher name?), a push-pull cable mechanism. Bob
Bob

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:48 am

Looks like you have hole for mount in dash, why not install unit and see where the cable needs to go? Probably you will not need to drill any holes other than helm in the dash and hole in motor well, if built. These cable are very stiff could be difficult if not impossible to thread thru any holes in the frames. In production boats they are normally hidden behind upholstery panels or in the floor. Cables lock up and fail and need to be replaced from time to time, make sure it can be replaced. Might be best to hold under deck with large tie wraps.

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Bob,
I drilled holes in my frames to run the steering cable. I forget the size, but it was large enough to take the nut at the motor end. I think it was at least an inch and probably a bit bigger. If I recall, the wheel end had the rack permanently installed to the cable so the nut was the smallest part. I drilled down an inch or two from the top of the frame.

You also have to get creative at the motor well to angle and align the hole so the cable bend gets the end aligned with the tilt tube. Also, I could not install the motor and then attach the steering cable because there wasn't enough room or flex in the cable. I had to slide the steering shaft into the tilt tube as I maneuvered the motor onto the transom.

You may have more room and less trouble. Good luck.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I haven't gotten the steering cable yet, I just wanted to put the holes in the frames before I deck over that area. Probably next summer I will be buying the motor and the steering cable, maybe I'll get some help from the people I buy the equipment from on the installation.
By the way, as I get closer to putting in the "floor" (i.e., the deck under the seats and in the forward part of the boat under the hatch), I was thinking about flotation. When I built the Glen-L 17, under the forward decks I put in a lot of aerosol cans of foam - I then shaved the foam flush for the floorboards with an old cement trowel sharpened like a big razor blade with a handle. The idea being the boat would float if swamped.
Just wondering if that would be worth the trouble on a runabout. There's a lot of void space under the forward flooring, and some side areas. But the difference from the sailboat of course is the outboard motor. Did any of you guys do "pour in place" foam or something similar for flotation? Maybe just keep the life vests on and have a waterproof cell phone huh? Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:29 pm

the other thing I thought would be good about the foam would be that the voids would be filled and not habitat for bilge rats :)
Bob

ArthurVR

Postby ArthurVR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:25 am

Sounds great!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 am

I think the foam is worth it Bob. Consider what happened to Fergal's Cracker Box. And it happened very quickly. He barely had time to get out of the boat.

Looking forward to seeing more progress. Hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:47 pm

I think I read on this forum a concern about pouring foam in place in that moisture can seep in and lead to rot since it doesn't have air flow to dry out. You might considering lining the areas with plastic and pouring fitted blocks that are removable or adding some channels for air flow.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:50 am

Great job on your Geronimo! I think Bob B. is onto something there, its one thing to mold the foam in place with a fiberglass hull, no concern for rot. It's another consideration with a wood hull that you may want to inspect periodically. You could make foam blocks by lining the space with plastic and pouring the foam, then pulling the block out when it's cured. You can secure it later with a batten or two over the top or just the plywood floor. Either method, pour in place or pour into plastic, make sure you leave drain passages along the bottom battens and keel to allow water to drain properly. You could do this with something like plastic pipe or conduit sliced lengthwise into halves or quarters.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. I didn't think of the drainage issue. Also if I needed to access the inside of the hull for a repair. Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”