What is half way point on a build?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

tysman52

What is half way point on a build?

Postby tysman52 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:15 pm

Getting close to flipping my Monte Carlo...for the sake of my marriage, what would you say is half-way point for your build from a man-hour standpoint? Once flipped, am I on the downhill slope? Want to be able to tell her "it's almost done!"

Ozzieboat

Re: What is half way point on a build?

Postby Ozzieboat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:35 am

For the sake of your marriage you are half way done. In reality you are about 1/3 of the way. Get to know your local florist.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:45 am

I think the flip is pretty close to half way. It was about 11 months for the Torpedo hull to the flip and another 11 to get it in the water.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

On my Flying Saucer, the flip was the half way point. I'm about ready to flip my Zip and my wife knows what to expect this time. I made the mistake of telling her I was almost done at the flip with the 1st one. She is more involved with building this time which helps a lot. It's better to stick with reality than to underestimate the time. The good news is that the fun begins at the flip.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

TAB

Postby TAB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:57 pm

the half way point is when you put it in the water... after that you find all the things you want to change and make "better, for the third time"

just saying :mrgreen:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:10 pm

TAB

Unfortunately, You're right. I say you never really finish building a boat. You just slow down building and start using it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TAB

Postby TAB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:34 am

i actually find it a big part of the appeal of boating. I really enjoy working with my hands.

rleete

Postby rleete » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:28 am

You know that part of the project where you're just about finished except for some last-minute details? That's about halfway for most things.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:37 am

Building a boat attracts a lot of attention and people are always asking when it will be done. I usually tell them it's 90% done and 50% to go.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 am

Flip= almost half way I think, in terms of time. In terms of money, not quite! Shiny stuff is made of Unobtanium!

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Well, I think the flip is a really big deal and may as well be considered the halfway point, in my opinion.
I always thought that if I could only complete the hull, then it would indeed be a boat. It was such a challenge for me building the hull - all the bending of the plywood panels, bracing them out from the garage walls and beams, and all the while thinking that this will never be a smooth shaped hull. Then like magic you end up with an actual upside down boat.
So when people asked me how long it would take, I would say the hard part is building the hull, and then once you flip it, it's simple - the rest is like building a dog house!
Of course I was wrong. I've never had a motorboat. My boat is flipped, the deck is on, but to me - things like the "motorbox", the seating, etc, are definitely a challenge. It took me four years to get to where I am now at. I think another year and a half will do it. And that's hoping to get some so advice from a marine supply with help on building the correct transom thickness, motorbox dimensions for the motor I want, etc.
So at least in my case, I would say flipping the boat is at least the halfway point of your build. Bob
Bob

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:11 am

Just b-4 you put GAS in it..........Ski KING........

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Skiiiiiii Kinggggg!

Welcome Back :!:

I agree with Dwain. Fill her up! The fun is just starting!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks, Bill it's good to be back...Have some problems with my wife I have to resolve, but will try to be on the forum more....I MISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DWAIN, the SKIIIIIIIIIIIIII KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!

Return to “Power Boats”