Open Letter To Lurkers - Positive Post

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Open Letter To Lurkers - Positive Post

Postby mrintense » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:20 am

Lurking, we've all done it. It's easy to go to a forum and peruse the latest messages and then move on. And it is definitely within our rights to do so. After all, we are mostly free to do as we please.

But I got to thinking about this a bit and I've noticed two trends in participation on this forum. When there is something exciting going on or something involving a lot of people, participation in posting takes an uptick. When people are posting their everyday accomplishments, we tend to see responses from many of the same individuals. we also tend to see many postings, unfortunately short lived, from new people visiting the forum for the first time.
But checking the view counts on any posted picture will quickly show that there are far more views than responses.

Granted, on this last point of short lived, new to the forum people, there is no denying that building a boat has a high cool factor which draws in many people. But it also has a high "Requires patience and perseverance" factor which eventually causes many to drop out. This is unfortunate, because we all benefit from ideas of participants, regardless of their experience level. And we all benefit from the enthusiasm that is generated when the board is hoping. And finally, when things are not going so well, whether it be with the build, or with something in our personal lives, it's nice to come here and get a boost of positive energy.

So it's really these last two points that are the real secret sauce of this forum with the new ideas being a close third benefit.

Given that, I would like to encourage all people to make more effort to post ideas, questions, positive accomplishments, and anytime they are looking for answers to questions relevant to this forum. The benefits of this serve not only the regulars, but the countless numbers of new people who are especially vulnerable to failing or getting discouraged in the early stages of the build, or when a particularly daunting part of the build comes up. and don't worry if your question seems stupid; we all started out with no experience. And there are numerous non boating related ideas that can cross over to this hobby.

Think how great it would be if we could encourage more people to do things like this. I personally have found this build to be the answer to numerous difficulties I had personally prior to starting this. Now, I see it as the solution and try to get others to see the benefits of a long term hobby, whether it be this or something else.

Of course what is good for the masses, is also good for the poster and I will try to be better about posting more often. Yes, I succumb to the desire to be a lurker as well. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Re: Open Letter To Lurkers - Positive Post

Postby chugalug » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:04 am

:D Well said,Carl.This is the first place I look each morning.Sometimes I just lurk.but try to add my two cents if I feel its ok to do so.I havn't been working on "Chug " lately as life and pocket change gets a little short this time of year.Enjoy looking at all the other builds.Keep all those pics coming,folks.Merry Christmas :D
Last edited by chugalug on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:53 am

I myself tend to post according to some unrecognized, internal circadian rhythm. By that, I mean that I will drop away for a while, sometimes several months, and then come back and become very active for a while. I'm just silly that way.

I've been on other forums that are just nothing but breeding grounds for trolls and flamers - people looking to start fights. I don't know why it is but this forum has never really had any big problem with that. In fact, virtually everyone that visits and/or becomes a regular member, is always encouraging and supportive. When I was moderating, there were a few here and there. Since then, i don't really know if it is still much of problem. Bill could tell us more.

I know that the Gatherings have made a difference, too. This is a forum where a lot of members have taken the time and put in the effort to attend and thereby get to know one another face to face. That simply HAS to make a difference as well.

Here is another difference. While we have members here that have several thousand posts racked up, no one here is posting simply for the purpose of racking up higher and higher numbers. Some forums I've been on will have members that will show 20 or 30 thousand posts over a span of a couple of years. They do not let any thread go without putting one of their own posts in it and yet, they really say virtually nothing of any importance.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:32 am

Hi Carl,

I'm guilty as charged having lurked many times on your build thread looking for ideas and solutions without posting. BTW, you're doing a great job and very clever on solving problems. One thing to consider is that even a high hit count on your thread or photos indicates that people are following your build and find it interesting.

I check out this site almost every day at lunch time to see what is going on and search out the next step in my build. Over the last several years while I've been getting up the courage to start a boat I was trolling old threads to help get a plan and figure out any obstacles. The detailed threads have been invaluable in figuring out the commitment, but also understanding that this hobby is possible by just about anyone.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:03 am

I lurked on this forum for quite a number of years prior to starting my build. Mainly because it was still just a dream at the time and something I was working towards. Now I am the one posting pictures of my build as it progresses and folks are lurking my build thread. If it can inspire others then that is a big part of why I am posting as much as I do. I'm sure I could figure out my questions on my own but it sure is nice to be able to get input from all of you fellow forum posters! It's also nice to get encouragement when the finish line seems far away!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:27 am

I suppose I've been "just passing through" lately....not a lot of boatworking has been happening here. It's too cold to paint, varnish or epoxy....so I don't have much to report. I've made a little progress, and I owe an update w/ pictures....but there's hasn't been much to say.

That said, while this board may not have a "high quantity" of activity, it sure has a "very high quality" of activity. I used to participate in an on-line guitar forum, and the signal-to-noise ratio, compounded by the very-high membership drove me away. Happily, that is not the case here...

I'll try to post more in my thread....and also offer what I can in the threads of others.

Happy holidays to all,

Mark
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:19 pm

I appreciate the responses guys. One thing i would like to do however is apologize for placing this in the power boats section. My thinking was that it might not be seen by many if placed in Miscellaneous. At any rate, many good responses here.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Ditto to what Matt said.
Capt. Dave

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:26 pm

I too am guilty of lurking, both while researching my current Zip build, and also daily as i check this forum multiple times a day trying to keep up with everyones builds, i rarely comment, the occasional "looking good" or "awesome" are about all that come out, not for any reason other than i feel that most all builders on here are far more skilled and experienced than i and that my 2 cents probably won't add much value to the topic, might just be me being hard on myself, this forum is an absolute treasure and i am so proud to be a part of it! I can tell you when i started my Zip project even the smallest "looking good" comment meant the world to me, it still does to this day, it's nice to hear after two years of boring everyone within earshot of my boat building (family, coworkers, bosses etc) that forum members appreciate the effort and commitment involved with this hobby i love. I will certainly try to add more encouraging comments, thank you to everyone for thier positive comments and feedback over the last couple years, your words have kept a fire burning inside me when time or greenbacks were short, i wish you all a very Merry Christmas.......
Joshua Burks 8)
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

garrech

Postby garrech » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm mostly a lurker. I check out the forum almost very day. I'm not currently building so I don't have anything to contribute or to seek advice on, other than the occasional praise. Not that praise should only be occasional here. I am amazed by the craftsmanship I see every day on this forum. I love the pictures, and I try to read the posts as well to see what I can learn, although sometimes I don't know enough to even understand the questions! Thanks to everyone who takes the time to document their build and those that ask and answer. The collective knowledge on this forum and everyone's willingness to share it is fantastic. Thanks!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:13 am

mrintense wrote: ... i ... apologize for placing this in the power boats section. My thinking was that it might not be seen by many if placed in Miscellaneous...

I always check "new posts" first thing. Then it doesn't matter which board the post is on - it still shows up and I see it.

hoodman wrote:I lurked ... because it was still just a dream at the time and something I was working towards.

Well Yes, there's that. But also, you are SO SO SO socially awkward! ROTFLOL :lol:

(crickets chirping)
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Dave Grason wrote:Well Yes, there's that. But also, you are SO SO SO socially awkward! ROTFLOL :lol:

There's some truth in that... :wink:

BillW

Postby BillW » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Being an old guy, I didn't know enough about computers to even know what a lurker was. While building a Squirt,
I would lurk to see how others did it. The Squirt was finished up to near completion, then it sat un-touched in the
shop for nearly a decade. We built another, non Glen-L boat, and completed it before the Squirt.

When the Squirt was finally completed, nearly 13 years after starting it, we posted some info about it on the Glen-L
Boatbuilders Blog, since we did not have a build thread from the beginning.

By the way, I would not have guessed how much a Squirt attracts people at the launch ramp. They ask questions
and would talk all day, often telling me their "Father or Grandfather built one just like this".

Merry Christmas to the Glen-L family, the Boatbuilders, and the Lurkers,

Bill Whitney

Thompson

Postby Thompson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:58 pm

For me lurking is learning. This forum is the main reason I'm attempting to build a boat. I don't know how old the forum is, but I often wonder how anyone accomplished building their boat without this. I'm just getting started with my build, but I know this is something you put your heart and soul into. You want to beam with pride. I'm thankful for all the help and advice I've received so far. Merry Christmas and God Bless.

Lyman "aka" Monroe Mahalini ( Malahini)

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Has a date and place been posted for any gatherings in 2017?

Thanks

Return to “Power Boats”