Open Letter To Lurkers - Positive Post

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Open Letter To Lurkers - Positive Post

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:21 pm

The Gathering is held at Hales Bar Marina, on Lake Nickajack, south of Chattanooga off I-24. It is the 3rd weekend in September. They have floating cabin, land cabins and RV park. There are other accommodations near by.

Try to come. We usually have around twenty boats. On Friday morning we load up and make the 35 mile run to Chattanooga for lunch.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 pm

I will admit I do much more lurking than posting. I may post more after my boat is running and weathering well, though! I don't have too much to offer that can't be found via searching.

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 am

stalking not lurking :lol:

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:32 am

Professional lurker here. What do they say, "Admitting you have a problem is the first step in overcoming the problem"? :lol: I lurked before being a member and lurk now that I am a member so at least I am consistent! In all seriousness I love to look at the progress everyone is making and it helps keep the dream going, as I have not started to build and I am trying to evict Sally Mae (and a few others :roll: ) from my life before really starting on the project. Hope to start soon enough and look forward to posting photos and questions.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

zip001

Postby zip001 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:21 am

I definitely lurk more than I post. I am building now and I can say that the wealth of information on this forum and the willingness of everyone to share and encourage is tremendous. I often see a post after a few days and more times than not someone with way more experience than me has already answered a question or passed on information. I can certainly be better at offering encouragement because it has sure helped me. I really appreciate this forum and Glen-L.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

aspags88

Postby aspags88 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:02 pm

I have been mostly a lurker here for the past year and a half trying to wrap my head around the whole idea of building a boat. Over that time I bought plans for a Glen-L 14 which I studied while continuing to read the forums. It wasn't until I was ready to start building that I decided to start a thread to keep track of my progress (I am over in the sailboat part of the forum if you don't just track new posts).

To me lurking was part of the learning process. I was able to see how other people were solving problems and working on their builds which compliments very nicely the boat building with plywood book for a complete beginner with next to no wood working or boating experience. The complete lack of experience is what held me back from posting because I felt there was nothing to add of value. It's only recently Ive discovered the value in telling people their progress looks good or giving small words of motivation as I've been getting started with my build and my own thread. Getting started on my own boatgives me something to say now it all feels more relatable. I think for a lot of people lurking is part of the process.. As our experience grows so does this community and participation in the forum. I look forward to someday meeting some of you and seeing some of the boats in person because the pictures truly look incredible.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Well I should probably add something to this post rather than "lurking" :shock: :shock:

I understand the desire to watch from a distance initially. All of us (well most of us) come into this with no experience building boats. many like myself also have no boating experience. So it's only natural to want to avoid saying anything that might make you look funny. As one person mentioned, there is value in the continuous encouragement of builder's accomplishments. It definitely helps to keep one motivated.

But I also think that many people come into this and feel that it's something that is beyond their abilities, therefore they read but don't go any further with it. Not everyone of course, but a percentage of readers do fall into this. The only thing I can say about this is read carefully what people are saying. So many of us here are amateur boat builders. Most get encouraged from reading other posts and then just starting.

Oh heck, I guess I am just rambling here. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, thanks everyone for posting and whether you are a lurker or not, you are certainly welcome to the forum. The more people we can get interested in this, the better. And hopefully, we can make a dent in the damage to our skills caused by having businesses make everything for us.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rleete

Postby rleete » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:27 pm

While I try to contribute when I can, I also know that my inexperience means I need to (mostly) keep my mouth shut and listen. I'm done enough woodworking that I know some tricks, but no boatbuilding as of yet. Cutting out some panels doesn't count for much.

Being that my build is:
-a relatively simple one (stitch and glue)
-it's been covered in detail before
-progress has halted for the winter (unheated garage)

I'll stick to lurking and reading past threads until I get caught up.

Return to “Power Boats”