GERONIMO -whoops

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO -whoops

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Howdy, here's where I'm at on Geronimo. Got the deck (9mm okoume) glued on then trimmed it flush around the oak carling and african mahogany dash. I thought I could get real close on the first cut with my sabre saw without damaging the dash and carling but I made a rare mistake :lol: and gouged the dash (got too close). I don't golf but it looks like a "divit" :( . The plan is to just add coats of varnish as I finish the dash and maybe it'll go away.
Although I like the look of the wood framed windshield, I think in the interest of time getting the build done while I can still enjoy the boat :D and my limited carpentry skills, as well as that I like the look, I am looking into getting a "glastron" style windshield. A local company makes custom windshields and stuff out of plexiglas..
So I think for my coaming, I will get african mahogany boards - the bottom of the coaming will meet the bottom of the dash, then a straight line to the transom. The top of the coaming - probably a 2 " lip following the hogged deck, then tapering down another 6" from the dash to clear the windshield. Just thinking......
Happy New Year! Bob
Attachments
IMG_0868.JPG
Bob

bob smith

Re: GERONIMO -whoops

Postby bob smith » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:09 am

Are you referring to the "scratch" between the tach and speedo hole? Looks like it would probably sand out.
I'd put a steaming hot towel on it to swell it up then sand after it drys. Or cover it with a bezel of some sort.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 am

if the area is that above the tach/speedo it looks like your crash pad detail will cover that
crashpad.jpg
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:09 am

I can't tell how deep it is but it looks like it will mostly disappear if you blend it a little with sandpaper. Once you varnish it will all be the same color. I'm curious if you are planning on trying to hide the edge grain of the plywood. I'm sure it will look good either way. Are you painting your decking or have other plans?

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:32 am

Hi thanks for the replies. Yes I think lots of coats of varnish will make it less visible. Billiec I didn't think of a "crash pad", that's not a bad idea. The coaming will cover the plywood edge along the sides and I was thinking of a hardwood bezel over the dash... or maybe a nice crash pad.
I plan on painting the decks, not sure of the color yet. I'm ordering the glass today haven't decided on four or seven ounce cloth for the decks.
Matt I too was thinking of bring the forward ends of the spray rails together into a "nose" I thought it would look cool but it interfered with my bowhook and also, if I wanted to add a stainless steel lip along the stem cap (which I may never do). Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Yeah I am considering adding a length of hollow back stainless along the stem at least below the bow eye for some added protection. I don't know if it's really necessary though.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Bob & Matt

You do want SS on the stem. The winch roller can wear the glass.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”