Barrel Back 19

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Cyberguy

Barrel Back 19

Postby Cyberguy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Ordered my first bundle of wood today. Chose the select Red Grandis for $4.88 per bf. 110bf due here in two weeks. Hopefully by then I will have the template transferred and be ready to start.
Tony

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Barrel Back 19

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:47 am

Tony,

That's great to hear! We look forward to following your progress in building the Barrelback--that's such a beautiful design.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:08 am

How familiar are you with Eucalyptus?

I used it with my teardrop camping trailer about seven/eight years ago. It's really strong and straight. It has a beautiful look to it although it's slightly pink. It takes stains of all types really well.

HOWEVER!!

There is something you should know and this happened to me. If you get this stuff wet, it will turn some REALLY horrid black shade and will begin the rot process soon after. So, if this is what you want to use, by all means make 100% certain that you encapsulate the wood really well. If you can make certain that this does not become exposed to water, I think you're good to go.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Cyberguy

Postby Cyberguy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:13 pm

This is my first ever boat build and no, i am not very familiar with eucalyptus, however from what i have read it shares many qualities of mahogany. Right now, as i am just starting, my biggest questions is:
Once i transfer the full size template drawing on to a piece of plywood, how do i transfer the template to the individual cuts. should i make cutout using plexi or cardboard?
Also, should i make my rough cuts first then plane to a common thickness or plane my lumber first?

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 am

Tony-
Welcome to the forum. The Barrelback is a beautiful boat!
run your lumber thru a jointer to get one face flat then run it thru a thickness planer ...5/4 stock will give you your 1"net required for the frame stock.
you can either use carbon paper (as Glen-L sells) and trace them or make templates from cardboard which allows you to slide the template pieces around and maximize your use of lumber or put the plan sheet for the frames on the lumber and use a sharp tool to dot a line on the wood and a batten to connect the dots. I usually cut both sides together and sand them while they are together so they match.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Cyberguy

Postby Cyberguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:54 am

Great advice, It has taken about a month to set up the shop in my garage. I did buy a dual speed Dewalt Planer but not a Jointer. Is there a particular manufacturer of model available for home woodworking shops? I would appreciate the added direction.
Best Regards from sunny Central Florida,
Anthony (Tony) Presto

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:05 am

if your boards are flat from the mill or have already had a side and face surfaced, chances are good you may get away without the jointer. if all sides need surfacing, it is good to have a 6" jointer to get that flat face on your stock. i have no particular brand in mind but the 6" width would be the minimum for surfacing boards. ...i used to hand plane the initial surface when i was a kid :shock:
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Cyberguy

Postby Cyberguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:49 am

Yeah, none of the sides are finished. Also as far as the encapsulation, can that be achieved as each frame is assembled and what product works and looks the best? finally, is the encapsulation applied by spray or brush? sorry if I am asking to many questions but.....

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am

Encapsulation is done by brush or roller. Spraying epoxy and heating it in a microwave can be very dangerous due to toxic fumes. Any of the epoxies are good. Watch out for compatibility. Rough up surfaces that were previously coated when applying another coat, unless re-coating within 24 hrs.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Here's a link to a table saw jig which can be used to true up irregular stock without using a jointer. It can also be used to make any number of duplicate parts with or without tapers or bevels. It is particularly usefull for cutting beveled edges on transom or breasthook.

The jig and everything you need to know about building a plywood boat can be found in the book Boatbuilding with Plywood by Glen L. Witt.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm

The book Mr Hot Rod mentioned and Glen L's Inboard Motor Installations book are must haves.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Cyberguy

Postby Cyberguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm

I have the boat building with Plywood and the cold process boat building but so far I have only read thru the selecting of wood and transferring of template

alycat

Postby alycat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Those two books mentioned and these forums are a god send!!! The folks here are the best !!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Return to “Power Boats”