Right boat for the Potomac River

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sproggy

Re: Right boat for the Potomac River

Postby sproggy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 am

Greg, your situation sounds similar to mine. I'm about to order timber for a Nimrod hull build - I chose it after much deliberation because of its slightly higher freeboard than the 'pure' runabouts and its slightly greater V at the transom which will hopefully mean I can use it in more places in a wider range of conditions. Oh, and the fact I can just about build it in my garage length-wise and fit it through the doors width-wise when it's finished. It will have a Zip-style seating/decking arrangement (I also bought Zip plans to guide me with that) with twin cockpits and a walk-through. Mahogany strip decking, polished alloy screen struts, chrome cutwater etc - the "full runabout" effect. Not sure about the hull finish yet - my head says paint it, my heart says keep it natural finish above the waterline (which makes the build harder). I'll use mahogany ply and see how it goes, whether it's fit to be on show or not!

My daughter is 1 year old. I hope she'll witness the boat growing with her so that it is ready for her to go out in when she's old enough to be able swim. That gives me a few years...which I'll no doubt need. With family on board it won't get used hard. It'll be good to have enough capacity to take a couple of extra guests on board which the Nimrod will cope with but the Zip wouldn't.

I've found very little information on the Nimrod - it seems it's not a hugely popular design and I didn't see any build threads/blogs. But when it comes down to it, it's a ply boat on timber frames and there's plenty of experience with that sort of construction on here so I'm not too concerned. I think it'll be a great compromise between a safe family boat and a stylish runabout but that much is down to me and how I build it and design the layout.

It would be great if I wasn't the only Nimrod builder - good to be able to compare notes with someone going through the same build as me! I've read the build instructions - all pretty standard stuff. Timber, fastener and epoxy suppliers identified. Build space in the process of being cleared. I can't wait to get started.

Greg_B

Postby Greg_B » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks, Hoodman, I should have been clearer. I sailed my 14-foot Albacore almost exclusively on the Potomac for about five years.

Greg_B

Postby Greg_B » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:22 am

Makes sense, Sproggy. Thanks.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Adrock1 wrote: Dave, do you really think the cold molded runabouts ride that much smoother? The reverse curvature possible with that kind of construction certainly helps give a finer entry and perhaps a drier ride but they are still often flat bottomed or nearly flat bottomed at the transom.

It isn't just the fine entry and compound curvature of the bow. Most of these designs are also inboards. The weight of the engine and transmission amidships also has a LOT to do with the ride. That extra weight really helps dampen the ride. The combination of the two factors really does make the ride much more noticeable.

But, of course, it is all subjective.... :?

In response to the video links that VUPilot just posted, here is one more link and I bet you, Chris, don't remember it. (I don't know, maybe you do.) But in this video, you and I are in your Zip as Butch comes alongside and passes in his Tahoe. It's a very cool video and does indicate just how smooth and powerful the Tahoe is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SEK2GlwU8

At the end of this video, the chop is rough enough that I even make a comment about not being able to hold the camera steady.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Dave, that video is not taken from my boat, looks like it was actually one of the Malahini's. I agree with you the cold mold designs ride nicer in chop than the plywood sheet boats like my little Zip. But the Malahini with its 3/8" bottom is also a big difference from the 1/4" Zip but I think its mostly just a difference in sound than a real difference in ride. Bigger is generally better but build time, build space, cost and other factors make these decisions always acompromise and sometimes you just want to have a blast with something plain fun like a Squirt. I think you can take about any boat to any water if you are just willing to wait for conditions to be favorable.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:30 pm

Say... You're right!

You see? That's the problem with the Gatherings. We get to ride in so many different boats that we lose track of them. And all this time, I've been thinking that this was your boat. I'm really embarrassed. :oops:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Power Boats”