Windshield brackets for Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Windshield brackets for Geronimo

Postby bobinpowayca » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Howdy. I got the deck on and painted on my Geronimo, next step is the coaming and the windshield - actually, ;next step is to lay out the windshield so I know how to do the coaming.
I would like to do the "windshield brackets" and 1/4" plexiglas which I've seen a lot on the forum. I see bronze ones on the classic boat connection but I would rather get aluminum (more affordable) - also on that website there was a whole list of brackets according to your classic boat year, model, etc. I'm looking for some Al brackects for an amateur like me - any suggestions? Bob
Bob

Hercdrvr

Re: Windshield brackets for Geronimo

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm at the same decision point, for a Malahini.
Found these at
http://www.tendercraftboats.com/cataloguepdf.pdf

Don't know the price, I'm sure they're practically giving them away.

Matt B
McKinney TX
Attachments
IMG_2151.PNG

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:37 pm

You can get rough cast aluminum brackets from Lake Erie casting.
http://www.aluminum-castings.biz/
I think they now are about $125. You need to call or email to get pricing and order.

They need to be polished and plated if desired. A plating shop will do the polishing.
My shop recommended to polish only. I then sprayed with clear coat.
This is rough
IMG_0793.JPG

After polishing
IMG_0843.JPG

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 pm

thanks, Matt and Bob. I'll call those comapnies tomorrow -wondering if the side brackets are "open" or closed at the top so I can get an idea of how high of a windshield I can do. I've never worked with plexiglass - do you need a band saw or is it possible to use a sabre saw- once you cut it are you able to sand the edges? The edge will be exposed - do you polish it? Thanks for your experiences. Bob
Bob

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:43 am

I was recently using some polycarbonate for another project. I think this might be suitable for windshields, but I'm not sure on UV stability (but they use it for sunglasses). I was able to cut it best with a sabersaw and a metal blade. I let a rough edge that could be sanded. You would need to use a ROS or hand sanding since high speed would melt it and possibly burn it (I tried using a dremel for cutting and it melted and burned the cut).

1/8" was pretty flexible, so I think you would need 1/4" or thicker. A 4'x8' sheet of 1/8" was about $60 at a local distributor.

You mileage may vary.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

slug

Postby slug » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:47 am

The Tendercraft brackets were CDN$600 last summer.
Doug

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 am

$600 !! Sheesh. I think I'll go with Bob's brackets. Wonder what it costs to get the aluminum castings polished up?

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:59 am

Probably $500! :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:45 am

I think polishing was about $70.

The side bracket grooves are closed at the top, but it could easily be opened up if you want taller glass. However, there would be nothing to hold that end down. If you wanted taller windshields, I would leave it closed and leave a tab on the end to hold it in place.

I used 1/4" plexiglass, not Lexan. I think they are both pretty flexible and would probably pop out if you pulled on it. I have to warn passengers to not use the windshield to pull themselves up. I cut it close with a bandsaw, but a saber saw would also work. I then used a 1/4" plywood template and an edge following router bit to finish it to shape with some light sanding. I did not polish any edges.

After 5 years the plexiglass has lots of little checking through-out even though it is under cover most of the time. It does not appear to affect it structurally, but it isn't as clear as initially.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:14 am

Bob, the cost of brackets like these are part of the reason why I am planning to do the wooden windshield frame similar to what is detailed in the plans.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:35 am

Bob

Butch Barto is a glassman. He recommends 1/4" tempered glass when you have a free edge. You use a rubber seal in the bracket. The plastics are too flexible. They would be fine with a full frame. I used 3/16 tempered on the Bartender windshield. 1/4" tempered would cost about $60 per side.

I like glass. I don't have to worry about using the wrong cleaner.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:34 am

thanks. Yeah Matt I do like the look of the wooden windshield as per the plans - the carpentry does look a little challenging and altho I could develop the skill I would like to get the boat done (it's been 4 yrs) so time is a consideration. I do like the look of the brackets too and the glass seems to be a good option, we have a good glass shop here that could cut it from a template I'm sure.
I think I will go ahead and put the coamings in as per plans; if I go with the brackets I'll finish off the fronts of the coamings at that time. Bob
Bob

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 pm

The wood frame really does look nice on that boat. You can do it!!! It would make putting a convertible type top on easier, too. The examples in the catalog look pretty good. Use the pointy prow style. The flat across style is not so good. JMHO.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:52 pm

The plans show the top of the windshield frame curving the same as the deck plus a slight V. I think keep the V but ditch the curve. At least that's what I plan to do. The plans suggest dowelling the joints. I think a half lap or bridle joint would be better unless you have a dowelling jig.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:28 pm

I like the wood windshield frame on some boats. Mine is not perfect because of how I had to build. But, nobody has complained, yet.

Bill
Attachments
101_3459.JPG
101_3460.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”