Malahini router or not

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Malahini router or not

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Getting close on my Malahini.
Should I router a rounded edge all the way around sheer? Nothing crazy that would expose the plywood sub-decking,

and will the router make a clean cut as I approach the transom and everything kinda blends together in a rounded shape. What I'm trying to say is , the router bearing won't be riding on a perpendicular surface to the edge it is cutting.

Also, The top of the front seats frame really needs a softer edge.

What do all you wood Picassos out there think? Kinda one of those cuts that would be painful to recover from if it didn't work out.

Matt B
McKinney, TX
Attachments
IMG_2147.JPG
IMG_2146.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG

vupilot

Re: Malahini router or not

Postby vupilot » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:38 pm

I was too scared to router much. I hand sanded all the edges on mine. It really doesnt take that long, a few evenings after dinner. Your Malahini looks great!

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 pm

You definitely need a perpendicular edge to use the router, so that is out. I used my random orbit sander and did it by eye on all the areas where I didn't have a perpendicular edge to run the bearing on. If you want a really consistent edge you could draw a pencil line down the length of the sheer both on the deck and on the side to use as a guide, say 1/8" to 1/4" away from the edge. If you are not comfortable with the sander, use a long sanding block and do it by hand. As Vupilot said, it really won't take long once you get the hang of it. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Another trick for hand sanding a radius is to drill a hole in a block, cut the block leaving 1/4 or a little less of the hole, and glue in some 60 grit. You can also just use the block as a guide.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:52 am

I used the router some. But, I cut a quarter round from an old credit card as a gage. Then used the belt and RO sanders. As I get close, I find the best gage is to close my eyes and look with my fingertips.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 am

Tried a practice piece and it was a disaster. The 3/8" router bearing was below the 3/8" material so it just dug in. Routers scare me so I put it away and rounded it by hand. That's the way to go.

Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2153.JPG
Random orbital then hand sanded
IMG_2152.JPG
Yikes

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Routers have their place, but man you can really screw up fast. Boat's looking great!

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Ok, time to put this one to bed. Some fluid motion with the RO sander follow up with this kinda rubbery sandpaper that comes on a role and round the edge like shining a pair of boots.

This last 10% of the build feels like 50% of the work. So many little details trying to come together.

Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2158.JPG
Trying perfect varnishing skills in my office
IMG_2157.JPG

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Matt - Maybe prior to the RO sander and hand sanding, you could start taking it down with a nice, sharp block plane. I have a Stanley "Sweetheart" good quality block plane and it's true to its name - keep it sharp and don't plane against the grain, just a little at a time... then hand sanding . the RO could put some whoopsies in it. Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”