How much timber?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sproggy

Re: How much timber?

Postby sproggy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:49 pm

After being mis-quoted by the first supplier I approached (they 'forgot' the 35 bd ft for the frames and quoted only for the material for the longitudinals!) I find myself in a quality/cost quandary.

Supplier 1 has quoted £1,350 plus tax for utile for the frames and longitudinals plus some suitable material for the build form. The utile is all quarter sawn in maximum widths of 8".

Supplier 2 has quoted £880 plus tax for the same except that they can not guarantee quarter sawn. They state "The hardwood Utile can’t be picked to be specifically quarter sawn but we can do our best to pick straighter grained boards. Utile is a very stable timber anyway and we would not expect this to cause you any concerns".

The nearly £500 (35%) difference is a very significant amount of money for me at the moment. I don't want to skimp on materials but...... :?

Can anyone with experience of utile comment upon how important it is that it's quarter sawn if it is, as stated, a "very stable timber"?

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 pm

i would not see where quarter sawn is necessary for building. wood that is harvested and sawn is not cut for quarter sawn, (except maybe for musical instrument builders) as there is much waste in this, however there will be quarter sawn pieces sawn in the process of cutting the log. if you buy a load of wood that is enough for your frames and longitudinal pieces, you will sort the pieces selecting the boards that have straight grain and little runout or slash grin for the longitudinals. frames can be flatsawn or might even be rift sawn.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:51 am

Thanks, Billy - that's what I was hoping someone would say!

I can order extra from supplier 2 (say another 5 bd ft) to give a bit more flexibility in choice of grain for each piece and still save a shed-load of money.

Decision made 8)

Return to “Power Boats”