Need advice on this trailer. Good deal?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Adrock1

Need advice on this trailer. Good deal?

Postby Adrock1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:58 pm

So I'm getting close to the point I'll need a trailer for my overniter build so I've started shopping. I spotted this one from the road this weekend at a local trailer repair business. I inquired and it is for sale. The asking price is $1200. Not sure if it's negotiable. They said it had a 20 or 22 foot boat on it according to the original owner. I believe it because the bunks are setup to extend well back behind the rear end of the trailer frame.

Anyway, it's got a brand new 3500lb axle on it and appears to have new or nearly new tires. It's an aluminum I-beam frame. The length from the rear end of the frame to the roller on the winch post is right at 14' and there is some.room to adjust that a few inches. Based on the measurements from my boat it seems it would fit on that trailer. Assuming I put new bunks of the proper length I'm guessing the transom would extend rearward past the end of the trailer frame a foot or less.

Here are a bunch of pics. I'm no expert with trailers. Have a look and give me your opinions. Should I jump on this or keep shopping?

Adrock1

Re: Need advice on this trailer. Good deal?

Postby Adrock1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:08 pm

BillW

Postby BillW » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:49 pm

That trailer frame does not appear to be long enough to support the bunks for their entire length.
The bunks, and the boat, will start to sag in the back after a few years.
It looks very strange. Not a good idea, in my opinion.
Also, if you have a choice, get a torsion axle type.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:12 pm

I'd pass on that rig. Bunks hang out too far and it's a mix of aluminum and galvanized steel up front. $500 maybe, but You can buy a super nice trailer for $1200.
Good luck,
Matt

garrech

Postby garrech » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I agree, I'd pass on that trailer. The bunks stick out too far and the axle is too far forward for the weight of the outboard hanging off the back. I don't think that trailer was originally made to have bunks that long.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:31 am

Hercdrvr wrote:I'd pass on that rig. Bunks hang out too far and it's a mix of aluminum and galvanized steel up front. $500 maybe, but You can buy a super nice trailer for $1200.
Good luck,
Matt

Yeah I was worried about the mixed metal too. Not crazy about that. The bunks are definetly too long but I would shorten them anyway.

After seeing more shopping around though I'm thinking I could get a new galvanized trailer for a comparable cost or slightly more. Given that, this one just doesn't seem worth it.

kens

Postby kens » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:03 am

The bunks on that trailer make no sense. The frame of trailer should be under the boat, transom too. Not just the back of bunks under transom.
That one is a hodgepodge of leftover parts all put together.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:15 am

I'm going to be the voice of descent. The bunks on both of my trailers extend 4 ft. past the end of the frame. For the 20 ft.Tahoe, the engine sits right over the axle. For the 24ft. Bartender motor board is 6 ft. in front of the end of the boat.

The Overnighter is right at 16 ft. That would mean a 2 ft. extension. The bunks could be moved forward some or just trimmed off. Can the axle be moved back? It does have a new axle and good tires, that is good. I think this will be primarily a fresh water boat. So, I'm not real concerned about the springs. It doesn't have brakes. (Disc. are the only way to go.) An important thing is, can you place the boat on it and get a 10% tongue weight?

The trailer guy may not want to come off much. The cost of the axle and labor?

I think, it's worth talking some more to the guy.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:51 am

I have real issues with the way the tongue was attached. There are new old stock trailers out there for just a few hundred more. Keep looking.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 am

I would take a pass on this trailer, especially at that price, basically because it's not what you need. The cost of making it just right is not worth it. It appears to be the right length, not including the overhanging bunks which can be replaced, the axle can be relocated further back to balance correctly. But the Overnighter is a relatively light boat, should need a 1000 to 1200 pound rated trailer (Glen-L recommends their 1000 series). You don't need the 3500 pound axle, with the Overnighter it would ride like a buckboard and likely bounce and dance when you hit road bumps, rather than the axle rebounding and absorbing the hit. With this particular trailer I wouldn't get worked up over mix of galvanized steel tongue with the aluminum frame. There is a pretty low risk of corrosion based on the location of the steel, especially if used in freshwater, and you can take steps like placing isolating rubber between the zinc galvanizing and aluminum. Structurally I don't trust the small flat bar straps where the aluminum side pieces meet the tongue.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 am

Price is way too high for what it is. You should be able to get a new trailer for not too much more. Keep looking or if you want that one get it for way less. I don't like the way the tongue is attached either.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:40 am

That is the most bizarre trailer I've ever seen--not in a good way. I'm not sure I'd use it for free.

The best way to buy a trailer is with an old boat on it. I got my trailer with a 77 BeeCraft and my Merc 500 for $1000.
After a full rebuild, I wasn't much deeper than that guy's price (and I still had a good motor and a boat).

You can do better.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. That settles it. Gonna pass on this. By the time I mod this trailer to suit my needs I'll have probably 1300 or more in it. Just got a quote today from a local dealer on a new aluminum I beam trailer with a swing away tongue for less than $1400. And it's looking like the swing away tongue is going to be a must if I want to get this thing in the garage. I just can't see going with a questionable used trailer as opposed to a brand new one just to save maybe $100.

Return to “Power Boats”